PDA

View Full Version : Quitting Smoking

Gregor
16-02-07, 13:54
Hi,

I want to quit smoking, but there are a couple of things that concern me. Firstly, i contacted my local stop smoking service and they sent me to a stop smoking group. I thought it was going to be a one-to-one session which i would have just about managed, but i'm not very comfortable in group situations with my anxiety.

Second, i've read that stopping smoking causes stress which will not be good for my anxiety and also some people say that you shouldn't quit until you feel strong enough to do so. How true is this? i'm worried because i've made excellent progress in the past few months and i don't want to throw all that away.

Anyone successfully quit smoking??

Thanks,

Gregor

www.therapyfinda.com
www.therapyfinda.com/blogs/members.php?membername=Gregor

hogwarts
16-02-07, 14:30
Hello Gregor i stopped 4 years ago i was on 40 a day i did it myself with the patches the best one's are the clear one's nicotinel i think they are called save you going to the meeting.

Gareth.

RachelC
16-02-07, 14:38
Heya Gregor,
I used to smoke like a chimney because it helped with my anxiety, but it got to the point where I realized I really needed to quit, and I did. I've been entirely smoke free for about a year now, which isnt long, but I dont feel Id ever pick it up again.
I couldnt have done group, Id have been too uncomfortable as well. Also when I quit I didnt encounter any major setbacks with my anxiety. It was stressful as hell at first, I wont lie to you, but you can do it.

A little advice:

The biggest step for me was getting away from the mates I had who smoked. That was the hardest, because making friends is extremely difficult for me, but my previous attempts to quit always failed when I was around them. Also, this is tough to do as well, but try to keep out of smoky areas for a bit until you feel stronger about having quit.
I dont know how many cigs you smoke a day but I smoked about a pack and a half. Over about two weeks I decreased the amount I could smoke every day until the cigs I had were gone. Then, (and this sounds stupid but its the truth and I know you can do it) when you have no more cigs you have got to never buy another pack under any circumstances. Just do not let yourself buy another pack. Ever. If you absolutely have to have one, bum it off a stranger. This will be akward enough that you wont do it that often, believe me.
The last bit of advice I can offer you is pretty obvious, youve got to replace the habit with a new one (that isnt bad for you). I chew gum, constantly, and drink a lot of tea.

Sorry so long, hope this helps.
There are going to be moments when you are stressed out and you could kill someone for a pack, and I know how that goes, so if you want to chat one on one just pm me or I can give you my email.

Good luck to you!

miss diagnosis
16-02-07, 18:16
hi y a

im off the ciggies 2 years now. I was going to hypnotherapy for fear of flying but ended up giving up ciggies instead? not sure if related.
My advise is do not try any patches or anything. your still going to be addicted to nicotinne. go cold turkey. It takes 3 days the third being the hardest but once u get thrigh the 3 days its a lot easier thenyou would think. Be warned though.. it dosnt incread ur stress at all .thats pyscosomatic. It does increase your waistline so go for a walk instead of having the ciggie!!!!!

let me know how u get on!!!

samc100
16-02-07, 19:29
My office swear by the book by Alan Carr.

I got pregnant and gave up - bit drastic !!

davidthegnome
16-02-07, 22:24
I'd recommend the patch and daily exercise. I quit once, years ago, for about a month and a half using the patch. Eventually though I started back up again, wish I hadn't. I don't think I'm ready to give up the smokes yet myself, but I wanted to commend and praise your courage and strength. It takes a lot to get to the point where you're willing to give it a go.

My advice is to talk to your Doctor about it, see if he/she recommends anything in particular, a patch, the gum, maybe some well butrin or something. It may also help to try out a smoking sensation program, I don't know if they have things like that in your area, but that, and forming a support group can be a big help.

If you have friends that smoke, try to get one of them to try quitting with you. That way you can encourage each other and give each other strength.

You'll do great, you seem to have a very good attitude. Good luck and God bless you, keep us updated on how it goes. Maybe when you've kicked the habbit you can advise those of us who still smoke. Let me know if you find anything that really works well.

Dave

ricochet
18-02-07, 20:08
Hi Gregor

i quit smoking about 5 months ago and quitting has'nt made me any more stressful, i would give it a go. Don't know if they do one to one's though on quitting as i stopped myself because of a big scare.

All the best

Richard

jill
19-02-07, 18:38
Hi Gregor :D

At the moment I am 6 weeks into giving up the cigs. I can only say what I am doing and how I am feeling, remember, we are all different and react diffrently to different things.

I have tried many, many times to give up and I will keep trying, maybe this time for me I will succed.

I have gone cold turkey in the past, but this did not work for me, this time I have gone on a 12 week course with what we call here, (fag ends) it is, one to one. I am on the patches 15mg for 8 weeks, then drop down to 10mg for 2 weeks, then drop down to 5mg for 2 weeks, I hope by then that the adiction to the nicotine has gone.:eek:

I also have an inhalator, this also is 10mg, but I am only allowed to use it when I really need it, at first, this was used mmmm alot, but I have not picked this up in about 2 weeks.

Gregor, you have 2 things to contend with here, the adiction to the nicotine and tha habbit of smoking.

You say you have herd you have to wait utill you are strong enough, mmmmm, there is NEVER a right time to give them up, if you are like me, you will always make things up why you can't do it today and you always say, maybe tomorrow.

As for more stress, giving up smoking is like anything you try new, its hard, its challenging but all in all, its worth trying, you do your best and your best is good enough, there is no fail here, you just keep trying and trying till one day you succed, HAY, thats what I think anyway.

You do have to change some things to break the habbit, like I would normally spend alot of time on the forums, ohhh boy, I would smoke lots of fags, so I had to stay off the pc for awhile. I told myself, just for now, just untill the cravings stopped, hay and I'm hear now :sign20:

I have made lots of progress myself since joining this site, NMP,yes, not had a pa in a long time and my anxiety levels are low, so I was abit, mmmm lets just say my mind was playing tricks with me, it was telling me, hay, you may fall backways, BUT this is sooooo not true, I told you so, I make any excuse NOT to give up the fags :sign20:

I had to change what I did in the mornings, instead of sitting having a cuppa and a fag, I had my cuppa and an air waves chewing gum. Keeping myself busy all the time.

There is one MUST when trying to pack in the fags, this is the reason for wanting to pack in, you MUST want to give up for yourself and for no one else, just for yourself because its what YOU, want to do.

Hay, Gregor, its great to here you are making lots of progress WELL DONE.

Please, please, don't worry about trying to give up the fags, hay, Mr weeds NOT worth the worry :sign20: The most inportant thing is, that your willing to try.

Good luck, Please let us know how you are doing

You take care

JILLXX

Gregor
21-02-07, 11:49
Thanks for all your replies and advice. I just needed to know whether quitting was going to harm my progress with my anxiety. So, i've decided to just go for it, as i know definitely smoking isn't helping me.

Also, as part of my experience, i decided to set up a Smokers help forum, where i'm going to share my daily quit experience and others can share theirs too. If you're interested, you can check out the site at www.smokersupport.net (http://www.smokersupport.net) and the forum at www.smokersupport.net/forum.php (http://www.smokersupport.net/forum.php)

Thanks again for your help.

Gregor

marg
21-02-07, 13:29
hi try www.whyquit.com (http://www.whyquit.com) its a good site there is lots to read about giving up smoking i have cut down a lot my problem is i don't go out so i am stuck in the house any way good luck with quitting marg

ksmith
21-02-07, 14:59
Hi Gregor,

I gave up smoking last July after 20 odd years of heavy smoking. I gave it up in the middle of a bad time as far as anxiety goes. To be honest, I felt anxious smoking them and anxious not smoking them so it never made much difference to me. It did however help my health anxiety as I feel a bit 'safer' not smoking.

Good luck in your endeavours.

Kay x