PDA

View Full Version : Lithium for anxiety????

Danath
06-11-15, 17:15
Hi all,

I'm currently on 10mg of Olanzapine and have been taking 25-50mg of amitriptyline.

These were prescribed by an emergency GP.

Now the psychiatrist is looking at putting me on lithium and removing the amitriptyline, I don't know what his intentions for the Olanzapine are.

Has anyone ever heard of lithium being used where the primary problem is anxiety? (although I am quite deeply depressed as well). I see very little information online about it for this indication.

Any help appreciated, particularly if you yourself have taken it for this purpose.

Thanks,

Dan

pulisa
06-11-15, 17:21
Yes, I've had it offered to me but declined. Apparently it can help in some cases. As I'm sure you know your blood needs to be monitored very closely whilst on lithium.

Danath
06-11-15, 17:40
yeah he said something like that. Wants to take blood and kidney tests before starting me on it. worried now as i've tried every drug on that forum list now :(

mark84
06-11-15, 17:51
I've had some family members on lithium for varying neurotic problems, but that was way back, before my time, maybe late 1960's/1970's, I don't think it's used so much nowadays, I say if you're getting given it though get it down you and don't worry :)

Danath
06-11-15, 18:18
There was even a song by evanescence a few years ago called Lithium :P oh and Nirvana had a song called Lithium too I think :P

pulisa
06-11-15, 18:36
Getting the right dosage of lithium in your system is really important. Make sure the consultant has had experience in monitoring lithium levels and that you have faith in him/her. It's a powerful drug.

Danath
06-11-15, 19:44
I'm just concerned about it full stop to be honest pulisa, not worried about side effects, just that it won't do a damned thing. but i find myself wondering if what i have is anxiety or like a negative mania?

23tana
06-11-15, 20:10
I am on Lithium 600mg. After the first few days it was like a light switch going on for me. It has helped so much. I do have my bloods checked regularly

Danath
06-11-15, 20:18
thats good 23tana, thanks for sharing :)

MrAndy
06-11-15, 21:29
http://www.crazymeds.us/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Meds/Lithium
I've got a few mates who are bipolar and take high doses of lithium by depot injection,it's the only drug that works for them
10mg olanzapine should quell anxiety quite well

Danath
06-11-15, 21:31
sadly the olanzapine has only really done it when Itake it at night, it doesnt really last into the following day :(

---------- Post added at 21:31 ---------- Previous post was at 21:31 ----------

but yeah crazymeds is one of my goto sites as well :)

MrAndy
06-11-15, 21:34
Olanzapine is the go to drug in an emergency because it acts so fast,unfortunately it makes you very fat :huh:

Danath
06-11-15, 21:54
Yeah the urge to eat is horrendous!

sidiam
12-08-16, 21:27
Hi Pulisa,
Did you ever try Lithium?
It is the next on the list for me, if the citalopram doesn't work.
If I decide to try there is a good lithium outpatients at my mh clinic.
hope you are coping
take care
Sxx