PDA

View Full Version : Hunger-like discomfort

cersei
07-11-15, 19:59
Hi all,

I'm a 22 year old female. I've luckily not had a seriously bad flare-up of healthy anxiety for nearly a year now. But it seems that luck ran out recently. I had a very bad panic attack about 3 weeks ago. So bad I couldn't sleep, I was hyperventilating, crying - I'm sure many of you are only too aware of what happens. But the next day I felt much better and got on with things.

Until 2 weeks ago, I had this strange hunger-like discomfort in my stomach. I didn't think much of it, daylight saving's had just come in and thought my body was readjusting. I ate, but it didn't seem to make it go away. A week later, it was still there. So I got myself all worked up again to go and see my doctor. Now, my doctor is very good. He's never usually wrong about things. I had an overactive bladder a few years ago caused by my anxiety and he sorted that out almost immediately. So I have faith in him. But he felt all my abdominal area (and did an internal) and told me I was suffering from severe constipation. I was floored. And promptly had another panic attack that evening because I just couldn't believe that was what was causing this horrible feeling. But I took the laxatives he had given me and seemingly, the discomfort subsided a little.

Unfortunately, I'm still having this discomfort and as I've now had it 2 weeks, I'm thinking I'm going to die, I have something incurable and am going to have to put up with this for life. I am terrified of going back to my doctor in case he says I need to go have tests such as an endoscopy.

I'm just wondering if anyone has ever experienced something like this? It's almost like my stomach wants to rumble, but it doesn't. I'm really unsure how to describe it to be honest and whether they're actually cramps of some kind? I want to believe it's anxiety, but the fact it's seemingly lingering is making me think it's something serious (and I have of course been Googling which has not helped in the slighest) :unsure:

Sparkling_Fairy
07-11-15, 20:07
Well, I'm not quite sure the feeling you are describing. But I had insane burping for months! And with that very often came the feeling of being hungry. I never quite had stomach cramps or pain, but sometimes it felt like a gas bubble was blocking the top of my stomach and would only free up after hours of burping!
But I do also get the hunger feeling some days.

I honestly think it's just a form of indigestion. And believe you me, that can last for a very long time!
I have really bad burpies on high anxiety days. But now after months of anxiety, I've been good for the past few weeks and noticed my stomach feels a lot better. No more burping every day :D
Anxiety can cause serious indigestion issues. No harmful ones, just annoying ones. And yes, they can last for a very long time depending on how long your anxiety lasts

almamatters
07-11-15, 20:40
I have always had this since I was a teenager. I am now in early forties. I have never had a diagnose for it to be honest. It is a horrible feeling like a gnawing hunger pain I call it. I have had a endoscopy and colonoscopy both normal. I usually get if worse first thing in the morning and it really puts me off eating
Take care.