PDA

View Full Version : Awful Quetiapine weight gain

Andy699
07-11-15, 22:32
Hi guys,

Haven't posted in a while. I've been on and off Quetiapine for Borderline Personality Disorder and Anxiety for the past 18 months now. I've tried other things but nothing else seems to really help. I take 100mg of it at night and it makes me really sleepy (which is good) but it also makes me really REALLY hungry. After I take it I get these terrible cravings for sugar and it hasn't gone away over time. Since starting Quetiapine I have gained 3 stone... 3 STONE! It's ridiculous, I'm deffo gonna bring it up with my shrink at the end of this month. Just wandering if anyone else has this probably? Or is this just me? lol... thanks everyone! :yesyes:

nicola1980
08-11-15, 06:38
Hi I take 2.5mg of olanzapine which is a similar med an anti physcotic and unfortunately weight gain is a common side effect to them, I used to take 5mg of it and over 3 years I put on 2 stone which I wasn't happy about but the med was helping me so I was stuck, so I decided to half my dose and I joined slimming world and I've successfully lost the 2 stone plus some more and since being on the lower dose I'm managing to keep it off so it is possible to still take the med and successfully loose weight too XX

MrAndy
08-11-15, 09:09
Weight gain is unfortunately part of taking an antipsychotic,I was on 5mg olanzapine and put on over 3 stone
I'm currently weaning off it now so hope to lose some timber

pulisa
08-11-15, 09:27
I think excessive weight gain is an unacceptable side effect for any medication. I'm pretty sure the doctors won't mention it as they issue the prescription yet a 3 stone weight gain is significant, to say the least!

MyNameIsTerry
08-11-15, 09:34
I think excessive weight gain is an unacceptable side effect for any medication. I'm pretty sure the doctors won't mention it as they issue the prescription yet a 3 stone weight gain is significant, to say the least!

Metabolic changes are also mentioned against some of these meds, like olanzapine, and the risk for Diabetes. Given what they were originally intended for it's perhaps an acceptable risk but now they are being used for anxiety disorders too it seems less acceptable long term but then those GP's that are left to prescribe them probably don't understand them anyway. It does seem at odds with the whole lose weight ethic they are peddling (and not adhering to themselves :winks:)

MrAndy
08-11-15, 10:13
Doctors either don't know or choose to ignore side effects of meds,it quite poor really

23tana
08-11-15, 10:57
I'm on quetiapine. Before that I was on aripiprazole. I started off a size ten and now I'm a size 22. I am hungry all the time.

It's really knocked my self esteem. As I'm agoraphobic it's impossible to exercise enough to keep up with the weight gain.

pulisa
08-11-15, 13:42
I just couldn't cope with that as I have an ED. A psychiatrist once told me that she tries to prescribe these meds to anorexics as part of their anxiety treatment but they are all aware of the consequences and refuse to take them.

I think half a stone would be acceptable but no more. I expect I have a warped view though?

23tana
08-11-15, 14:06
I'm going to ask to come off the quetiapine as I can't tolerate anymore weight. Can't afford more new clothes either!

MrAndy
08-11-15, 16:32
I just couldn't cope with that as I have an ED. A psychiatrist once told me that she tries to prescribe these meds to anorexics as part of their anxiety treatment but they are all aware of the consequences and refuse to take them.

I think half a stone would be acceptable but no more. I expect I have a warped view though?

What's ED pulisa ?

pulisa
08-11-15, 18:24
I hate to admit but an eating disorder. Had it since I was 16 and now a wrinkly

MrAndy
08-11-15, 18:43
I hate to admit but an eating disorder. Had it since I was 16 and now a wrinkly
Ok sorry I wasn't being nosey,putting on this much weight from a drug that is supposed to be helping you is depressing.Can you believe it that they give it to anorexics ,imagine how much that screws with their heads poor things

pulisa
08-11-15, 19:51
They refuse to take it apparently. As I would.

nicola1980
08-11-15, 21:29
I was warned before I started olanzapine about the weight gain but I was so desperate I took it, I suppose a 2 stone gain over 3 years isn't too bad but it has helped immensely lowering my dose from 5mg to 2.5mg, I no longer crave food like I did and now infact I'm underweight so much so my physc wanted to increase it back up but I told her no way, I'm hoping in the new year when I'm in a better place I can come off it completely.
sorry to read about your eating disorder pulisa, my sister had a anorexia a few years ago and it was heartbreaking to see but fortunately she's alot better now XX

MrAndy
08-11-15, 21:34
Nicola what if anything did you notice going from 5mg to 2.5mg besides the weight loss.For the last few weeks I've had bad headaches and my sleep has been very bad
I plan to drop the dose again in the new year

nicola1980
09-11-15, 03:18
Hi Andy, it was tough reducing, I suffered terrible nausea mostly and got the shakes alot, I had previously tried to reduce before and failed because of this but this time I was determined to stick to it, unfortunately the olanzapine has never helped me sleep just helped with my racing thoughts and extreme anxiety, I split my doses and took 2.5mg morning and night so I dropped the night one as I benefit more from it in the morning in my opinion. I did get headaches too but nothing too bad it was mainly bad nausea and the terrible shakes. What I did notice tho was as soon as I dropped the night time dose my appetite decreased immensely, I used to take it around 6-7pm and by 8 I'd be raiding the cupboards for food as I was starving. That doesn't happen anymore and even tho I take it in the morning still it hasn't effected my appetite at all, infact I can go all day without eating until it's teatime which isn't unusual for me as I've always been like that and I was able to loose the extra 2 stone I put on no problem to the point now that I actually weigh less than before I started Olanzapine but effectiveness wise I notice no difference now I'm settled on the lower dose than when I was taking the higher dose. I definitely think the weight gain is dose dependent XX

MyNameIsTerry
09-11-15, 05:21
Do these meds influence your eating habits in terms of what you select? I've read that in times of stress the brain craves sugar but when depressed craves fat.

MrAndy
09-11-15, 07:49
ive had no food cravings since ive been on it,I just steadily piled on weight even though I excercise and have a good diet

23tana
09-11-15, 17:50
Do these meds influence your eating habits in terms of what you select? I've read that in times of stress the brain craves sugar but when depressed craves fat.

Terry as you know I've been very stressed lately. Going on quetiapine I have found myself craving badly for anything sugary.

Mr Andy are you trying to come off quetiapine? I have been taking them 2 months. I have to take 3 x 25mg tablets each night (75mg). Last night I tried to take 50mg and I've had an awful day today. How slowly are you reducing? The tablets are so small I've not been able to cut them in half to reduce more slowly.

Any advice on coming off these dreadful tablets would be welcome. :weep:

MrAndy
09-11-15, 17:59
Terry as you know I've been very stressed lately. Going on quetiapine I have found myself craving badly for anything sugary.

Mr Andy are you trying to come off quetiapine? I have been taking them 2 months. I have to take 3 x 25mg tablets each night (75mg). Last night I tried to take 50mg and I've had an awful day today. How slowly are you reducing? The tablets are so small I've not been able to cut them in half to reduce more slowly.

Any advice on coming off these dreadful tablets would be welcome. :weep:
I used to be on quetiapine three years ago but my doctor at the time took me off them cold turkey.I am a lot wiser now so if it was me would reduce very slowly 10% per month or until you feel stable enough for another reduction
75mg is a very low dose and it only works as an antihistamine at that level,you need to be up and above the 150mg range to get an antipsychotic effect
2 months is also a short time to be on them so I see no problem with you weaning off them slowly.it might be a good idea to share your feelings with your doctor and discuss other options.Why was you put on them in the first place ?

23tana
09-11-15, 19:34
I was put on them for hallucinations that I was only having infrequently anyway. I'm going to see the doc tomorrow.

pulisa
09-11-15, 20:40
I think that's a good idea but if you were experiencing hallucinations surely you would be referred to a psychiatrist by the GP?

nicola1980
09-11-15, 21:19
I was under the impression that only psychiatrists could prescribe these type of meds not your normal gp's? XX

MrAndy
09-11-15, 21:36
A GP prescribes mine and has agreed to help me get off them slowly over a 6 month period

23tana
10-11-15, 03:41
I was first prescribed them by a psychiatrist but repeats and daily management are now down to my GP.

23tana
10-11-15, 11:05
My Gp has said to cut 25mg per fortnight, so I should be off them in 6 weeks. Thank goodness I was only on a low dose to start with. We'll see if the hallucinations come back as I cut down. I'd rather have them than this constant hunger and weight gain.

pulisa
10-11-15, 11:17
I'm sure Mr Andy will have some advice for you on this one,23tana. I hope the GP is going to keep a close eye on you as this can't be easy for you?

MrAndy
10-11-15, 16:03
thats quite a fast taper,I would hold each does for at least a month,if you can split the tablets try and drop less than 25mg
I came off quetiapine to fast and it gave me tinnitus ,please go slow and steady

23tana
10-11-15, 17:31
Thanks MrAndy. I've tried splitting them but they are too small. I'll have to ask the pharmacist if they have a pill cutter to do it with. Doc seems to think I should be OK though as I've only been on them 2 months. Watch this space......lol

MrAndy
10-11-15, 17:47
You can buy pill cutters on eBay for pennies

pulisa
10-11-15, 18:09
Thanks MrAndy. I've tried splitting them but they are too small. I'll have to ask the pharmacist if they have a pill cutter to do it with. Doc seems to think I should be OK though as I've only been on them 2 months. Watch this space......lol
Well we've all heard those immortal words uttered by the doc..I'd take Mr Andy's advice as I'm sure you will

Lan69
13-11-15, 10:55
I'm piling the pounds on! I know quetiapine and mirtazapine can cause weight gain but I'm also taking pregablin and not sure if that does too.
I had lost 10kg when I was really bad but I've put that back on plus another 9 kg, I've also added an extra 20cm round my belly. Ifeel like a little buddha wandering round.
My gym referral came through so I went for my induction last night that's how I know these things.....I am officially obese. My eating habits are horrendous, I can't stop snacking on crisps etc. I can't come off my meds as I'm still not stable so I'm going to try my best to keep out of the cupboards and go to the gym 3 x a week
I hope I can do this

23tana
13-11-15, 14:53
Day 4 of trying to reduce quetiapine and I feel dreadful. Severe shakes, nausea, headache and sweats.

I was on 75mg (3 x 25mg tabs) I dropped 25mg as that is the smallest dose there is. The parmacist can't split them and there is no liquid form.

I really don't know if I can do this.

MrAndy
13-11-15, 15:56
go back up to 75mg and stabilize,buy a pill cutter off ebay they cost about 50p
try again at a reduced dose but by splitting the tablets

pulisa
13-11-15, 17:20
It must be awful but please keep going? Cutting the 25mg in half or even into quarters with the pill cutter may be your best option? A 25mg initial drop is obviously too much for you. These drugs are powerful and the GP should be responsible and knowledgeable regarding withdrawal if agreeing to monitor you whilst you are being prescribed them by the psych. Too often the GPs are dismissive regarding withdrawal procedures and possible side effects.

ricardo
13-11-15, 17:52
I'm piling the pounds on! I know quetiapine and mirtazapine can cause weight gain but I'm also taking pregablin and not sure if that does too.
I had lost 10kg when I was really bad but I've put that back on plus another 9 kg, I've also added an extra 20cm round my belly. Ifeel like a little buddha wandering round.
My gym referral came through so I went for my induction last night that's how I know these things.....I am officially obese. My eating habits are horrendous, I can't stop snacking on crisps etc. I can't come off my meds as I'm still not stable so I'm going to try my best to keep out of the cupboards and go to the gym 3 x a week
I hope I can do this

It certainly does in fact having had practically every AD pregablin was the worrst for me with regards to weight gain.

Now I just take 75 mg for nerve pain and have gained some weight and when I questioned this, my doctor said go for a daily brisk walk (and I am agroaphobic) :lac:

23tana
15-11-15, 15:43
I hope I can do this

How is the gym? Have you cleared your cupboards?

I have been back on the full 75mg dose for 2 days but I still feel awful. My anxiety is mounting as I expected to feel ok when I went back to the full dose. I'm no good at riding this through.

23tana
16-11-15, 16:08
go back up to 75mg and stabilize,buy a pill cutter off ebay they cost about 50p
try again at a reduced dose but by splitting the tablets

How long will it take me to stabilize again? I really cannot cope with this - shaking, sweats, sleeping. My anxiety is so high I can't rest when I am up. Very agitated.

MrAndy
16-11-15, 18:37
Should take a few days,quetiapine works quite quickly.i suspect most of your anxiety is about dropping the dose and not withdrawal,that usually takes 2-3 weeks to rear its ugly head.Try and stay calm and get back on your normal dose until your in a better place to try and withdraw again

23tana
21-11-15, 15:17
I still can't stabilize back on the full dose. I want to sleep all the time, am having shakes and panic attacks, nausea and dizziness. This is awful. I don't know what to do with myself.