PDA

View Full Version : Breast Cancer fear again

ScarletSpeedster
08-11-15, 22:03
Hello. I am a twenty year old woman who is living in the constant fear of my health anxieties.
I wrote a post two days ago about my latest fear of breast cancer, and it has now returned with a vengeance and is ruining me right now.
I went to my local GP surgery a week ago for a breast examination, as I felt my left breast was bigger and harder with an almost constant feeling of very, very mild tightness or pressure - nothing which interferes with life at all, just noticeable and there. Well, the nurse practitioner examined my breasts, and confirmed that she also felt that my left breast was slightly bigger and harder than the right, although she could feel no lumps, said they looked the same (besides the size), and my lymph nodes were fine. She then said she'd see if she had to refer me to a breast clinic...and my panic ensued there and then.
She left to consult the doctor, and upon her leaving the room, I had a tota meltdown, immediately thinking the worst.
She came back in a prescribed me paracetamol for the niggling pain/feeling, and told me to come back in two weeks after my next period to see if there was any change that might be hormone related. I left. Broke down.
My mum later called the surgery to speak to the nurse, as I was in such a bad way with my anxiety and she was worried. The nurse said that if she'd found anything concerning, the doctor and she would have referred me that day and not decided to wait two weeks. She also said everything felt (besides the harder breast) and looked fine, and that because I had no history of breast cancer in the family, I should try not to worry too much. It was a very ordinary routine for women to come back after their next period of another examination.
The thing is, I am still petrified. I even called my assigned doctor yesterday because I wanted an ultrasound as soon as possible just to get it out of the way. He talked me through my symptoms, telling me that at my age I should not be worrying any great deal about cancer, and that I really showed no signs to warrant that worry. He was great at dealing with my worries, and I felt a bit better.
But now I am scared again, and it is so silly. I am twenty, and should be loving life, yet I am living it constantly scared stiff I am dying from an illness.
Please, any replies would be appreciated.

AnnieMags
09-11-15, 00:27
Hello Scarlet, so sorry you are having a hard time with this. Breast cancer is so much in the media, which makes it hard to 'get away from' and generates an awful lot of unnecessary worry.

Logically, you know that at your age breast cancer is almost unheard of. None of the symptoms you describe is typical for the disease. It is very common to have different sized breasts - I do, too. One is bigger and 'fuller' than the other, always has been. I have had so many lumps and cysts over the years, nothing has ever been malignant. I was also always asked to wait until after my next period - breast tissue is very sensitive to hormone influence and just after your period is when everything is 'calmer' and it is easier to examine the breasts.

Your doctor has already told you that you have no symptoms indicative of breast cancer. Try to focus on that: There is nothing to indicate that you are ill. One breast feels a little different from the other - that is normal. You have been examined - nothing has been found. You are being followed up after your next period for further reassurance - that is totally normal too, and nothing to worry about.

I hope you manage to stop thinking about this. Best wishes from Annie :hugs:

ScarletSpeedster
09-11-15, 22:16
Thank you so much for your reply - it has helped me feel a little better.

I know rationally that what the nurse told me is reassuring and positive, but I have such a hard time with believing it, although they know more than I do.

My left breast never really feels painful, and by 'fuller' I mean I feel like there is more noticeable twinges and pressure than my right, but I don't know if that is just because it is bigger and more muscled? Is this normal too?

I understand that at my age breast cancer is almost unheard of, but there is always that fear with anxiety that because it is not impossible, I am in the running and may have it. I need to change this thinking, I know, as with any small pain or noticeable happenings in my body, I instantly think the worst.

But again, thank you so much for your reply. It means a lot.

All the best :hugs: