PDA

View Full Version : Desparately bad Citalopram withdrawal!

Seamus
16-02-07, 18:22
Hi all

Apologies for the 'yet another' Citalopram thread I've started, but I've done some digging and not found exactly the advice I'm after.

My wife and I are currently on holiday. We're trying for bambino's this year and the plan was to come off the contraceptive pill and the Citalopram, and then go for it.

My wife was instructed by her GP to lower from 20mg to 10mg for 1 month up until stopping. That last pill was about 6 days ago. She started to become weepy with irrational crying and a little bit off well.

But, for the past 2 days (48 hours) she has been suffering from huge headaches. She describes them as worse than any migraine she has ever had. Its been that bad she's been crying her eyes out just begging for it to stop. She's managed to be calm and has slept on and off for some time.

Question is,...what can I do? Is there anything she can take to help with the pain. We've tried paracetemol on day 1 but didn't really help. Day 2 we have tried a migraine tablet that wasn't on the list of do not take with Citalopram.

I asked for something to help with sleep and they have given me Diazapam/Valium 5mg. I know the bad rep valium gets and its only as a last case scenario. We are travelling tomorrow, and she may not be able to without it.

Anyone got any ideas as I have none?

Thanks

sophieunderscore
16-02-07, 19:27
Has she stopped taking the contraceptive pill at the same time as the Citalopram - My anxiety came back very strong after coming off the pill so this could be contributing to the severity... and to the crying and being "a little bit off" sounds very hormonal!

As for diazepam, Yes they do have bad press, but they wouldn't be prescribed if they weren't safe. If your wife was using them every day then there could be a problem but if she uses them as a last resort, for example when she really can't cope, during a panic attack, or during a particularly stressful period then there shouldn't be a problem.

KOKO23CAT
16-02-07, 20:43
benzo's are very good drugs if they are used correctly ie. once in a blue moon so if she is not a regular user then it shouldn't be a problem. i agree with sophie about the pill, maybe she should go back on that and just concerntrate on the ssri. wonky levels of oestrogen can cause migraine, i had them after i stopped breastfeeding. i think you need to consult a doctor/pharmacist but maybe something with codeine in could help bt definatly talk to a doctor first!
when you say the last pill was 6 days ago do you mean that she went from 10mg to nothing? if so then that would explain a lot as that is far too fast. 5mg should come next and then buy a pill cutter and start halfing tablets. if your GP seems a bit clueless about withdrawal go on the web and look up SSRI withdrawal. i've been there and i know its hard but it must be slow or it is so counter-productive.

koko

ps.i used the drug 'tylex' for migraine. it is soluble so is absorbed quickly and harder to vomit back up. don't know if it is compatible with citalopram though.

thinking of you both

''my life is full of catastrophies, most of which never happened''

Seamus
16-02-07, 22:39
Hi

Thanks for the replies. Its 4am here in India now and she's struggling for sleep. The head pain is there constantly, and to the point its making her delerious. I've never seen her like this before.

We don't have many options really being in India, although quite a lot is available 'over the counter' if you catch my drift, hence the valium and the migranil.

Yes, she went 20mg to 10mg which from reading does seem a bit sharp, but its what the quack instructed. If I were able to source Citalopram here do you think it would alleviate the head pain.

This may stop us travelling home in 24 hours if the head pain doesn't stop a little. We have 3 flights to take over a period of 20 hours which is no trip to disneyland either. What I really need advice for is the head pain. If I can get that sorted, I can get her back home and to her GP.

Thanks

KOKO23CAT
18-02-07, 18:24
i don't think that it is the SSRI that is the problem, i think it is a migraine from the contraceptive withdrawal. she needs some knock out tablets just to get her home. if she can get through the next week on 10 then she should stay on 10 but i think she should stay on 10 for at least a few months before reducing again and then only reduce my no more than 5mg.

hope you got home safe

koko

Nel
18-02-07, 18:50
Hope everything has went OK. I'd definitely make sure she sees her own doctor when you get home, I'm not aware of withdrawal effects from the contraceptive pill (I was on and off for years myself and never experienced any withdrawal) but SSRI withdrawal is very well documented and I have experienced that. IMO her doctor should have explained that possibility.
Good luck x

Chopper
20-02-07, 10:07
Seamus,

I'd echo what Koko23cat said, it's very important to reduce the dependency upon and dosage of Citalopram over months rather than days/weeks.

I'm currently on 40mg a day (gradually increasing from an initial 20mg over 18 months ago) and feel like my old self so am pretty much a strong advocate of their efficacy. But, I've no intention of reducing my current dosage until I've a sustained period of mental stability and when I do I'll reduce the dosage as slowly as I increased it.

I'll, eventually go from 40mg a day to alternate days of 40mg/30mg, for a good 8 weeks or so, then down to 30mg for the same period and so on until I take 10mg one day and none the next for a while.

If your wife misses one or even two days it shouldn't really effect her as badly as you've explained as the tablets have a 'half life' (like a nuclear isotope) where the, for want of a better expression, residue of prolonged use remains in your system for some time.

I'm no expert on the contraceptive pill but the ladies who've posted suggest that may be the cause of your wife's withdrawal symptoms rather than the Citalopram?

I hope everything settles soon and you return home to a positive future together.

greenfrankie
06-07-12, 11:33
Hi all

Apologies for the 'yet another' Citalopram thread I've started, but I've done some digging and not found exactly the advice I'm after.

My wife and I are currently on holiday. We're trying for bambino's this year and the plan was to come off the contraceptive pill and the Citalopram, and then go for it.

My wife was instructed by her GP to lower from 20mg to 10mg for 1 month up until stopping. That last pill was about 6 days ago. She started to become weepy with irrational crying and a little bit off well.

But, for the past 2 days (48 hours) she has been suffering from huge headaches. She describes them as worse than any migraine she has ever had. Its been that bad she's been crying her eyes out just begging for it to stop. She's managed to be calm and has slept on and off for some time.

Question is,...what can I do? Is there anything she can take to help with the pain. We've tried paracetemol on day 1 but didn't really help. Day 2 we have tried a migraine tablet that wasn't on the list of do not take with Citalopram.

I asked for something to help with sleep and they have given me Diazapam/Valium 5mg. I know the bad rep valium gets and its only as a last case scenario. We are travelling tomorrow, and she may not be able to without it.

Anyone got any ideas as I have none?

Thanks

Hi
I too am reducing Citalopram due to the New Heart Scare,But as an ex involuntary addict to Valium would advise VERY Strongly against using Diazepam
You will end up with More probbs than before,I would however advise a Book(local library) by DR CLAIRE WEEKS,,she has wrote a few on self help re-anxiety & to me these were a LIFESAVER (Literally)..Good Luck