PDA

View Full Version : Am I losing it?

Jimbo
16-02-07, 19:53
I've not been feeling so great over the last week. My panic attacks seem to have been getting the better of me and taken on a more terrifying symptom. I'm worried I might be starting to totally lose it.

I only tend to go out of the house when I'm forced to, buying food in the supermarket, going to the doctor, etc. Recently I'm worried that I'm starting to have hallucinations when I'm in the grips of a serious attack. When I went out to the supermarket yesterday, I started to panic as soon as I left the house. I managed to rush round the store feeling absolutely terrible. The whole time I was convinced that everyone was staring at me is if they knew I was panicking. It all just felt totally unreal as if I was dreaming it. I felt that I couldn't look at anyone cause when I did I found that people's faces looked terrifying. I also found that the sounds around me became so loud, I kept thinking I could hear someone calling my name from behind me, when I looked round there was no one there. I've not been out since then, but spent the whole night and today worrying about what had happened.

Does this sound like some sort of hallucination or psychosis? I'm totally freaking that it might be the start of something worse.

Jim

pamella
16-02-07, 20:19
hi,sorry to hear your having rough time with your anixety, all u describe is anixety at its hightest.the feeling of unreality etc is just another form of how it affects u.i found book by claire weekes,self help for your nerves really good.she explains things very well and its not heavy reading. u were feeling anxious when u left the house so of course u were going to feel worse with the stress of going round the shops.maybe u could get someone to go with u till u feel bit better.i no i cant go shopping alone.all u describ is senses hightened,u can read about it more on this site,they can probably put it better than i can,just wnated to let u no ur not alone with this.take care.x

pjrobb

wendy
16-02-07, 20:39
Hi Jim

Sorry you are struggling at the moment,

These are most def anxiety symtpoms, they are awful arent they!

I have felt exactly the same on many occasions and thought I would end up going mad and be locked away but of course I didnt, it passed and will pass for you too.

Its hard to be rational mid these attacks and the more you fear it is something other than anxiety, the worse the attack gets and the more you think something awful is happening, the feeling I get is as if someone else is in the supermarket and Im just watching from the outside and have even pinched myself to check Im still here and with it,

Are you receiving treatment? Things will get better for you, my therapist says to me, accecpt it is anxiety, dont wish it away, ride with it, dont fight it, the symptoms will pass and despite how unpleasant they are they are harmless (it still working on taking this advice myself!)

Take Care

Wendy x

davidthegnome
16-02-07, 22:01
Calm down my friend, you are not losing it. One of the common fears associated with anxiety disorders is the fear of acting irrationally or of losing one's mind, or losing control. I can tell you that it bugs me too some times, but it's not as severe as it was.

Think about it, you're sitting there, and typed a very rational message on this forum. You comprehend what you read just fine and I think we all have had something similar to what you're going through. Don't think we're all lunatics do you? (You'd better not! J/K)

As for hearing my name called, oh I'm sure that's happened to me at times I just can't remember them. In my case, some times I'll hear a ringing in my ears, like I'm hearing a phone ring when in fact there is no phone ringing at all. Wow did that spook me at first. It's just a symptom though and not something to worry about.

None of this sounds at all like hallucinations or psychosis. It sounds like you're troubled by common anxiety symptoms, which can be scary, but will not make you go crazy.

I've had experiences just like yours and I'm not a lunatic. Neither are you. A little exercise I'd suggest when you feel like you might be losing it or are afraid of it. Add numbers together in your head. Start simple, 2 and 2 is 4, 4 and 4 is 8 and so on, just keep going until you feel a bit more grounded.

Don't worry bud, you won't lose it. You're alright and this will pass.

God bless you,

Dave

Jimbo
17-02-07, 20:29
Thanks or the reassurance, I was really starting to worry there for a bit.

Jimbo
19-02-07, 14:18
I went out again today to do a bit more shopping, I forgot loads of stuff last time! I put my ipod on which helped a lot with distracting me. Still found myself feeling very anxious, and almost slipping into the spiral of panic thoughts, but nothing as bad as last time happened.

Anoying how I can be fine one minute and panic the next.

My next challenge is to make it into town for my psych appointment tomorrow. Hopefully he won't think I've lost it and my housemate can drive me, otherwise it's the bus for me! :unsure: