PDA

View Full Version : Got reassurance but anxiety came back!!!

robin321
09-11-15, 15:23
So I posted last week. Basically I was stressed about my bowel movements. You can read through my old posts if you want to hear about it.

So I ended up communicating with my doctor, and he left me a message to say he wasn't worried, and that he thinks all is ok.

I felt great! So relaxed after hearing this. I finally got a good nights sleep.
This was Saturday. On Sunday my anxiety came back!

And this morning I woke up at 330am, feeling nervous still fearing my bowel movements. My bowel movements were normal this am, but I still feel nervous!!

On the one hand, this is interesting because clearly there is more to my anxiety than what is on the surface (or in the toilet), but on the other hand it is discouraging because I thought speaking to the doctor would clear it out. It is still there, I am still obsessing over my bowel movements, and I am still stressed. Even after given the all clear!

dizzy daisy
09-11-15, 21:10
This is typical for me with anxiety. I seek reassurance but really I'm
Never reassured. It will pass but likely will just take some time for you to calm yourself xx

rsanchez
10-11-15, 06:27
Reassurance seeking often ends up reinforcing anxiety. You get stuck in a loop where you need more reassurance and until you get that reassurance you get more anxious.

If you push through the anxiety, tolerate it, and try not to seek reassurance, it will eventually pass. It takes time.

robin321
10-11-15, 09:46
Thank you for the replies. It helps. And I think things are starting to sink in.

But now I have something new. During this episode of anxiety I have been waking up at 3am or so feeling nervous. I have had trouble falling back asleep, and the past 2 nights I have not gotten back to sleep.

It is like the anxiety feeling is still there, but without a real reason. So my mind goes back to the health worries to fill it in!

Liviguy
10-11-15, 11:26
I hear what you are saying. I am exactly the same. I get a symptom, I obsess about it. I go to the doctor. They tell me all is ok and its anxiety. I have relief for a couple days then the same feeling comes back so I go to the doctor and am again told its ok.........That is how I seem to live my life just now.

dizzy daisy
10-11-15, 20:38
Robin when I'm stressed with health stuff or otherwise I'll sometimes wake in the night having a panic attack or just feeling anxious and it's often hard to get back to sleep. It's a real pain. I also have awful dreams when I'm like this too. It's all just part of the process xxxx