PDA

View Full Version : Any located near Manchester, UK?

csimms
10-11-15, 12:01
We need pregnant women to help with some great research!

The University of Bolton are aiming to produce skilful searching guidelines for pregnant women, in order to help women cope and seek the right support in times of need.
First, we need to know how pregnant women seek and utilise the health information they find on the internet.

Please respond to this thread for more information

Thanks
Candice :yesyes:

Traceypo
10-11-15, 19:51
Hi Candice,
I'm not pregnant and don't live near Manchester, however, I find it a common theme on this forum that health anxiety commenced following the birth of a child.

csimms
12-11-15, 11:44
Hi Tracey,
Yes we are finding that a theme also. I am currently doing more research about health anxiety in new parents too. I believe any input on this forum will be extremely valuable in helping us to create some tools to help those who have health anxiety search better for health information

lottie59
12-11-15, 11:47
Hi Candice

I am not pregnant and do not live in Manchester either but I can tell you that my HA kicked off 7/8 months ago shortly after my little boys 2nd birthday..

csimms
12-11-15, 12:13
Hi Lottie

Do you find this happens with other new parents you speak to?
When it's finalised, would you be interested in filling out a short online questionnaire?

MyNameIsTerry
12-11-15, 13:04
I can't help you here because I'm male...although I am "showing" thesedays. :D but in researching my own OCD I have come across medical professionals saying how intrusive thoughts centering around their children seem to come in new parents e.g. harm based or POCD.

SmithsFan
12-11-15, 13:44
My problems have come and gone over the years but have got much, much worse following the birth of my son.

I spent the first night of his life, not basking in joy but googling pictures and symptoms of Down's Syndrome. Every blemish is prodded to check for meningitis. Progeria and craniosynostosis are two conditions that 99/100 people won't have heard of but I have because I've googled relentlessly to "reassure" myself that he is healthy.

My anxiety about my own health has got markedly worse from the time my wife got pregnant but I didn't make the connection until I discovered this site.

Unfortunately I'm not in the necessary demographic so can't help with your research but good luck with the study.

csimms
12-11-15, 13:55
I can't help you here because I'm male...although I am "showing" thesedays. :D but in researching my own OCD I have come across medical professionals saying how intrusive thoughts centering around their children seem to come in new parents e.g. harm based or POCD.

That's really interesting. I've researched postnatal anxiety and postpartum OCD in women but I never came across it in men.

---------- Post added at 13:55 ---------- Previous post was at 13:48 ----------

My problems have come and gone over the years but have got much, much worse following the birth of my son.

I spent the first night of his life, not basking in joy but googling pictures and symptoms of Down's Syndrome. Every blemish is prodded to check for meningitis. Progeria and craniosynostosis are two conditions that 99/100 people won't have heard of but I have because I've googled relentlessly to "reassure" myself that he is healthy.

My anxiety about my own health has got markedly worse from the time my wife got pregnant but I didn't make the connection until I discovered this site.

Unfortunately I'm not in the necessary demographic so can't help with your research but good luck with the study.

Glad to hear that your son is healthy. It worries me that until people find help on these forums, they don't know where to go for help (excluding doctors). How old is your son?

SmithsFan
12-11-15, 14:00
That's really interesting. I've researched postnatal anxiety and postpartum OCD in women but I never came across it in men.

---------- Post added at 13:55 ---------- Previous post was at 13:48 ----------

Glad to hear that your son is healthy. It worries me that until people find help on these forums, they don't know where to go for help (excluding doctors). How old is your son?

he turns one next week.

csimms
12-11-15, 14:15
he turns one next week.

I have no children myself so I can only imagine how hard it is bringing up a child... even harder with anxiety.
If you have 5-10 minutes free I would be ever so grateful if you would like to complete one of my questionnaires on becoming a parent. It's completely anonymous and you will be helping us to build skilful searching guidelines for others with health anxiety

SmithsFan
12-11-15, 15:20
I have no children myself so I can only imagine how hard it is bringing up a child... even harder with anxiety.
If you have 5-10 minutes free I would be ever so grateful if you would like to complete one of my questionnaires on becoming a parent. It's completely anonymous and you will be helping us to build skilful searching guidelines for others with health anxiety

No problem. PM me with the details.

csimms
12-11-15, 15:31
No problem. PM me with the details.

Thank you! Done :D

Traceypo
12-11-15, 17:02
My problems with health anxiety began following the birth of my son, thoughts such as who will look after him if I'm poorly and what would happen to him if I died, these thoughts spiralled out of control and it took me two years to realise it was irrational and it was anxiety. I'm more than willing to assist with a survey, I've stated previously that I wish I had been warned about this or had some info when I gave birth. There is so much focus on post natal depression and not enough on anxiety following a birth.

sammie13s
12-11-15, 20:49
I'm in manchester and had to have the abortion pill yesturday at 8 weeks because of this shitty anxiety 😪 Constant panic attacks, heart racing, dizziness, sickness and with 2 children it was impossible for me to continue the pregnancy. I'm heartbroken but had to think of my mental state of mind xx

Alexalex
12-11-15, 21:41
I live in Manchester, Im not pregnant but my anxiety started a few months after my son was born, a month after I came back to work. I had post natal depression and coming back to work helped me feel my old self again for a little while, then my anxiety came out of nowhere and its been with me for over a year now

csimms
13-11-15, 09:46
My problems with health anxiety began following the birth of my son, thoughts such as who will look after him if I'm poorly and what would happen to him if I died, these thoughts spiralled out of control and it took me two years to realise it was irrational and it was anxiety. I'm more than willing to assist with a survey, I've stated previously that I wish I had been warned about this or had some info when I gave birth. There is so much focus on post natal depression and not enough on anxiety following a birth.

Did you feel any anxiety whatsoever during the pregnancy? Being a new parent is the biggest challenge, you aren't even sure if what you're feeling is what every new parent feels.
A lot of women feel like they may be perceived as incompetent if they say they are having problems. Am I right? this is what a friend has told me who had the same struggle with anxiety.
That is where my research becomes even more important. There is a link below if you wish to help with my research. Will take around 10 minutes to complete. I would really appreciate any help I can get with this research!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1UEZ2gtPI2L1-jou1Kh3OUlpf4vBjgvDrwuVmNRkJYEo/viewform

Traceypo
13-11-15, 09:54
I wasn't anxious during pregnancy, but I remember being very frightened when I had to take my son home. I work in Safeguarding so I think that added pressure too.
I remember days thinking if I can just get through the day without harming my son, when I say harm, I mean it inadvertently as opposed to intentionally, for example not sterilising bottles thoroughly and making him ill. I'd live in fear of not waking up for him, so my answer to that was not to sleep. It reached a point where I'd only be able to sleep or relax with him next to me.
Did I mention any of this to Professionals, no, I was afraid they'd think I was mad and take him from me. As my son grew, this anxiety reduced but developed into health anxiety.
I'll complete this soon for you.

csimms
13-11-15, 10:11
I'm in manchester and had to have the abortion pill yesturday at 8 weeks because of this shitty anxiety 😪 Constant panic attacks, heart racing, dizziness, sickness and with 2 children it was impossible for me to continue the pregnancy. I'm heartbroken but had to think of my mental state of mind xx

Very sorry to hear that. I hope you're getting all the support you need. How old are your children? Did you experience similar feelings of anxiety when you were pregnant with them?

---------- Post added at 10:03 ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 ----------

I live in Manchester, Im not pregnant but my anxiety started a few months after my son was born, a month after I came back to work. I had post natal depression and coming back to work helped me feel my old self again for a little while, then my anxiety came out of nowhere and its been with me for over a year now

Hi Alex,
Yes, I have learnt that the best way of coping is to be active with work or being out and about. Then, as time passes and you're faced with other obstacles as your child gets older, you worry more about how you're going to deal with them. Do you feel you are getting enough support?

---------- Post added at 10:11 ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 ----------

I wasn't anxious during pregnancy, but I remember being very frightened when I had to take my son home. I work in Safeguarding so I think that added pressure too.
I remember days thinking if I can just get through the day without harming my son, when I say harm, I mean it inadvertently as opposed to intentionally, for example not sterilising bottles thoroughly and making him ill. I'd live in fear of not waking up for him, so my answer to that was not to sleep. It reached a point where I'd only be able to sleep or relax with him next to me.
Did I mention any of this to Professionals, no, I was afraid they'd think I was mad and take him from me. As my son grew, this anxiety reduced but developed into health anxiety.
I'll complete this soon for you.

I can understand that being added pressure. I've done safeguarding training in the past, and when you're thrown into new situations sometimes you feel like you're expected to know what to do, and if you ask for help or advice you feel slightly incompetent.
Majority of new parents suffering with anxiety experience this. There desperately needs to be more support and reassurance for new parents with anxiety, I just hope this research encourages that!

Traceypo
13-11-15, 10:13
I've completed the questionnaire, I've made it clear at the end that my son is above the age of the study, but hopefully my responses can still be useful.

csimms
13-11-15, 10:25
I've completed the questionnaire, I've made it clear at the end that my son is above the age of the study, but hopefully my responses can still be useful.

Thank you! Every response is very useful. In a couple of months once the research has come together I shall share it on here :D