PDA

View Full Version : blood in phlegm?

sarah84
10-11-15, 12:10
Hi All

Not posted in ages. Anxiety was better for a long time but worse again the last 6 months. I am 31 and have smoked since i was about 17. Not heavily unless I am on a night out. I know. Its stupid and i am obsessed with the fear of cancer.

Anyway i have had a sore throat and cold last week and had a heavy weekend so got a cough which has been quite bad the last couple of days. This morning my phlegm was mixed with a two tiny specks of red blood. Also yellow/green pleghm as well. I know this can be a sign of chest infection which I have had in the past but without blood. I have been quite anxious recently and actually made myself cough up phlegm by sticking my fingers down my throat a few weeks ago as thought i had blood then as would see blood when brushing my teeth but think it came from my gums.

Anyway i am just completely freaking out. I think i have probably just irritated my throat from coughing/vomiting issues. But my anxiety is just in overdrive and I am sitting here at work unable to focus on anything else almost crying. Just need some reassurance.. Please.. :(

swgrl09
10-11-15, 12:16
You have definitely just irritated your throat from coughing, being sick, and even dry air can cause this.

sarah84
10-11-15, 12:22
Thanks but what if it is not? This could be the start of lung cancer. I have always been OBSESSED with the thought of coughing up blood ever since i was a small child. It is only tiny specks mixed with phlegm but sometimes feel like it would be easier to just run away from everything. The minute something nicer happens and i feel happy then my anxiety kicks in. It is like I am unable to ever allow myself to feel happy.

jayb1
10-11-15, 13:33
Sounds like you've irritated your throat especially sticking your fingers down there!!!! If it keeps happening you should see your gp