PDA

View Full Version : Panic attack hangover

MetalYeti
11-11-15, 14:18
Bleurgh with a capital Bleh. Had a bad panic attack on Sunday which seems to have been set off by my booking my first counselling appointment. It's like I'm having an allergic reaction to trying to get better :unsure:, ever since I booked it I've been rapid cycling through every anxiety symptom I've ever had and a fair few I've never encountered before. Anyway... I usually feel pretty rough for a while after a bad attack but this is just lasting all week, I've never had the attack 'hangover' this bad before, still have the thick head and DR/DP, feeling of wading through treacle, swimmy vision and I just can't see properly, my eyes are producing some kind of gank. Yuk! Seriously, how long do these things last? Fed up now!

Leah1971
11-11-15, 22:16
Hi, usually after a panic attack I can be left with high anxiety for about a week. Crappy I know.

Leah1971
11-11-15, 23:04
Hey Joe, they are usually pretty extreme and last time I had 3 in a row and that left me with constant anxiety for about a week.

Anxiety sucks hey!

MetalYeti
12-11-15, 07:16
Aww man, 3 in a row really sucks, I'm not suprised the after effects lasted a while :( I had been managing them a bit better but this one floored me. Feeling sorry for myself and all of us on here right now.

Leah1971
12-11-15, 07:43
They're hard core aren't they. I don't think we all realise how strong we all are to have this and just keep on going.

MyNameIsTerry
12-11-15, 07:47
Panic attacks do leave a lot of residual adrenaline in the body which it needs time to metabolize into other chemicals it needs. This can be sped up by exercise and deep breathing but it's not going to go straight away.

I've found periods of high anxiety do this too. It's like you are on a whole new level for a while. A big trigger and you can spend days or longer before it seems to settle down. It does make you want to avoid stressful situations as it's far from pleasant and makes you wonder how you can cope going forwards.

I always found those high anxiety episodes left me feeling very tired and slugglish. I think the body needs time to replenish itself. Besides, too much excitory neurotransmitter and an inhibitory one kicks in to balance it, usually GABA, what Diazepam interacts with.

MetalYeti
12-11-15, 11:22
That's interesting, I was thinking about how I felt zombified in the same way as I do when I take Diazepam, except I haven't this time. That might explain it.

Leah1971
15-11-15, 12:50
Hi Joe, the actual panic attacks don't happen too often but I have GAD which is moderate to high anxiety a lot of the time. It started at the end of December last year and it's taking a little while to settle. I have been like this before and then gone years with no real sign of the disorder at all. So, I know it will go again, it's just hard to be patient in the meantime. And also because of the timeframes between I forget how to deal with it all.

Yes at the moment I'm on Lexapro. It's not taking away the anxiety completely which I sort of think is a good thing because it gives me a chance to handle it myself. If that makes sense. I'm still having good weeks and not so good. Although nothing as bad as it was when it all flared up last year. I truly believe it was triggered from being under a long period of high stress at work.

Are you on any medication at the moment?