PDA

View Full Version : Worried after going to a Chiropractor today regarding Coccyx pain...

KayeS
11-11-15, 23:52
So I've been having Coccyx (tailbone) pain intermittently for about 6 weeks now. It doesn't actually hurt to press on it, but seems to be more for example after sitting, it hurts when I then stand up... sometimes when walking. I'm fairly certain it's from sitting for prolonged periods of time at work and also due to a long drive I had around the time it started where I was driving for 3 hours, followed by 5 hours of walking around non stop, to then a 4 hour drive again. That combined with lots of sitting at work afterwards I am sure is the reason this has happened, but it's getting quite uncomfortable. Again, it doesn't hurt to press it, like it might if it's bruised, but seems to just come on randomly and is a throbbing type pain.

I went to a chiropractor about it today and he said my hip flexor on the left side is very tight and could be the cause of this pain. He's given me some exercises to do etc... Then at the end he said something... he said that if there's no improvement in 4-6 weeks time, he will send me for an X-Ray to rule out anything pathological like a cyst or a TUMOUR.

Now let me first say that I have not reached anywhere near panic mode yet, and I am actually doing quite well at rationalising this as being due to that long drive and also lots of sitting (probably badly as well). But as someone who suffers from HA, upon hearing that, although highly unlikely, this kind of pain CAN be caused by a tumour, of course it's set alarm bells off in my head. I wasn't even considering this as a possibility before hand funnily enough.

I have two questions: firstly has anyone else here had a similar pain before? And secondly, how do I stop this spiralling into anxiety over this now? If I'm honest I don't think it will, UNLESS in 6 weeks time there is no improvement. Right now it's there in the back of my mind, but for me at the moment, even that is too much. I don't want it in my mind AT ALL and I am SO ANNOYED at myself that it is...

swgrl09
12-11-15, 00:23
Honestly every time I have gone to my chiropractor in pain after not seeing him for a while he says the same thing to me. Seriously. And I have only had to get x rays once and they were fine. He was also looking for structural issues, fractures, etc. It's basically just to rule-out other things that may need different treatment. They truly can tell if it is just a tight hip flexor or a muscle knot, etc. It's just if it doesn't respond they have to cover their bases.

I have had very similar pain. I sit all day at work, I used to have a really long drive to and from work as well. It got really bad at one point, so I started doing stretches at the end of the day and mid day. After a while it loosened back up.

Hope that helps a little.

KayeS
12-11-15, 00:47
Thanks that did help. I'm definitely not convinced I have a tumour or anything, I'm almost not even entertaining the idea, but like I said... as a HA sufferer, it is there in the back of my mind... Also it's hard because you can't really avoid sitting! :/

swgrl09
12-11-15, 02:21
Don't worry, I had the same thoughts the first time my chiro said it! That's HA ... that little (sometimes gigantic) voice in the back of our minds constantly. And you can't avoid sitting. Sometimes I have to remind myself to get up, stretch out,walk a bit a few times during my work day or I will be in pain.

MyNameIsTerry
12-11-15, 04:48
Think of it this way - if he suspected a possible tumour would he wait 4-6 weeks and risk getting sued for delaying urgent treatment? No.

I bet the cyst possibility isn't a worry for you, it's that tumour one? Well, a couple of years ago now my GF was diagnosed with a tumour that she was born with...and no she isn't s small child :D She was 39 at the time. She panicked as soon as the word was said like any other human being (she has no anxiety disorder). The consultant said it was a fairly common non cancerous tumour that people are born with and it may not be spotted however if it was spotted they wouldn't do anything unless it was causing problems because they are harmless. Hers had started growing and had wrapped itself around an ovary hence causing her what they thought was kidney stones as the pain & location were the same. She had keyhole to remove it and all is well.

So, try to rationalise why this person would not send you for an urgent examination for that. And also think about the fact that not all tumours are cancer related.

Traceypo
12-11-15, 09:19
Hi hun, I have the cyst in that area, it's called pilonidal cyst, it can cause pain, develop into an abscess, or drain fluid from time to time.
Whilst I'm not saying that's what you have, if you do, it's not the end of the world, it's a literal pain in the bum and an inconvenience but certainly manageable.
Please don't Google it though, I made that mistake and my experience of it is nothing like Dr Google.
Xxx

KayeS
12-11-15, 09:53
I didnt sleep last night because the pain there was worse than it had been so far... It's usually relieved when I lie down but not last night... I'm thinking it's beause of the chiripractor visit?

Tracey do you get the similar pain that I do? I can't feel any lumps or bumps in that area except the Coccyx itself lol

Traceypo
12-11-15, 18:48
If it's what mine is, the cyst generally forms at the top of your bum crack, I can feel the cyst though when it flares, it's not huge, but large enough to feel under the skin.
Try some ibuprofen and a hot bath, if it is a cyst then the heat will help bring it out, if it's not a cyst, the heat should relax you.
Xxx

KayeS
12-11-15, 19:24
I can't feel anything there... I can't tell if the area is inflamed as I've never really paid much attention to my Coccyx in the past so I have no frame of reference lol.

Until it shows signs of improvement, I know I'm just gonna have this underlying worry in my head...

Traceypo
12-11-15, 19:33
When mine first started, I couldn't feel anything, I thought I'd just bashed myself, it started when I was having an anxiety free period. Always remember that there's so many more likely reasons then worst case scenario. Hopefully the scan will ease your worries.
Xx

KayeS
12-11-15, 19:36
Well there's no scan planned at the moment... that will only be if it hasn't improved in 4-6 weeks :/

I just hate the not knowing.

angrry
12-11-15, 22:08
hi KayeS...a few years a go I had a lot of pan in my right buttock and hip area, also close to the tailbone....i went to physiotherapy for it...turns out it was my piriformis muscle....check out piriformis syndrome..hope it helps

KayeS
13-11-15, 13:20
I'll check it out, but the pain I'm experiencing is literally right on the end of the tailbone, but it doesn't hurt to press it. I almost can't press the pain itself, but it's there. And actually quite painful :/

KayeS
14-11-15, 20:09
Really struggling now... the pain has intensified over the last couple of days. Still doesn't actually hurt to PRESS on the area, but it seems to start hurting now whether I'm standing, sitting, or lying down. Just an intense throbbing pain on the coccyx.

swgrl09
14-11-15, 21:06
Have you done any stretching? I do some gentle yoga and they have a lot of hip-openers that can slowly stretch any tension out of the area. Or maybe a warm or cold compress.

KayeS
14-11-15, 21:20
Have you done any stretching? I do some gentle yoga and they have a lot of hip-openers that can slowly stretch any tension out of the area. Or maybe a warm or cold compress.

I have been doing stretches but I feel like since I've been doing that, it's been making it worse :/