PDA

View Full Version : ALS ????

jpell38
12-11-15, 09:31
Hi

Can anyone advise/reassure me ....

I am a 40yr old uk male who has suffered HA for the last 8 yrs, it comes and goes.....

My latest concern is MND, around 8-10 wks ago i started getting muscle twitches in the back of my arm, after visiting my Doctor she reassured me it was nothing sinister. This lasted around 4 days, then these twitches moved to my feet/calves and are still currently happening. It is not constant but it is a daily occurrence. Now in the last 3 days my left forearm feels tired/weak however my strength is still the same even though it aches when i do something with the arm. Obviously me putting 2 + 2 together i am coming up with MND. I have also have had a burning sensation in my thighs, this also happened to me around 2-3yrs ago.

I have seen 3 separate Doctors who have all said no to MND, as my muscle twitches are more like pulses they are not overly concerned and would only refer me to a Neurologist if the twitches were more like ripples across the skin. I feel like they read my notes before i arrive and judge me on my HA before anything else. I am contemplating paying privately to see a Neurologist ...

Any help would be appreciated.

Susierose
12-11-15, 09:59
I have similar symptoms like... twitches, heat on my thighs and back.... but I am awaiting to see a neurologist .. but they say mine is due to nerve damageddue to a herniated disc and sciaticaI had at Christmas... I also get a lot of nerve pain still too. I have degenerative discs in my back and neck. Have you had a full CT scan ? It could be a trapped nerve. To be honest the doctors kept treating me like I was worrying over nothing because I had anxiety ,,,, for years I went in with pains in my neck and shoulders...told it was just stress! Then when my back went and I had a full CT scan It showed up the real reason for my pain in my neck... cervical spondgolosis ... just shows how doctor's see and treat us with mental health issues.

Fishmanpa
12-11-15, 12:25
I don't know what anyone here could possibly say to reassure you that three medical professionals haven't already told you. If you feel like paying out of pocket to chase your diagnosis, then by all means do so but I believe you'll get the all clear there as well. Twitching is a pretty common symptom of anxiety, especially when you're in a heightened state which you admit you are.

Concerning the doctors dismissing you due to your anxiety? In today's litigation happy world, why would they take the risk? Sure, there are bad doctors out there and you'll always have an "I told ya so" story but three bad doctors in a row?

Positive thoughts

jpell38
12-11-15, 17:28
I appreciate both of your replies.

I understand that muscles can twitch during many episodes, including anxiety ... however its the 'weakness' in my left arm that alarms me. It is constantly aching and feels tired (however i can do everything still with the arm). I presume with MND you do not wake up one morning and realise you cant lift your arm, surely its starts slowly?

Lifelonganxiety!
12-11-15, 18:17
Weakness, twitching etc.. are all extremely common in Health Anxiety.

Twitching in MND doesn't move around from place to place like you say. It does in Anxiety though.

Weakness in MND is true weakness where you literally can't perform a task. You still can perform tasks. Weakness from anxiety does this.

MND is a very common fear for HA sufferers, but is an extremely rare disease. You have been seen by three doctors and admit that you suffer from HA. Trust your doctors, indeed trust yourself that you know you don't have anything serious.

Look into Benign Fasciculation Syndrome. It can cause many if not all of your symptoms. I have come to accept that a lot of the stuff I deal with is because I have that. Anxiety makes it worse and can bring on a lot of what you are experiencing.

jpell38
12-11-15, 19:09
Thanks for the reply.

I guess i need to trust the medical professional and stop looking for answers. Hopefully the symptoms im having will soon go.

I was recommended a website from a Neurologist that may help people that suffer with real symptoms but are not linked to any disease. Please check it out.

neurosymptoms.org

rbm
13-11-15, 20:49
i went through the exact same thing !!

a couple of months ago i had twitches all over my body, even my tongue ! i would freak out every day agout them, panic attacks, migranes, i thought i would never see my daughter grow up ... until i decided i was done ! went to neuro, had an electromyography done(it tests the muscle's activity), a head mri and blood tests , all came back ok ! i was fine but twitching all over !! so i went on to take calcium and magnesium and lots and lots of water and now i am fine.i sometimes get those twitches back, but i know now they are benign and i just walk them off :yesyes:

good luck , i hope you find this helpful !