PDA

View Full Version : Weight loss due to anxiety

dizzy daisy
12-11-15, 11:41
Hi I've been in an anxious state for over 3 weeks now. I've been so bad I can't work had some problems sleeping and due to tension and nausea I found it hard to eat much. I'm now still highly anxious most of the day and have horrible tension but over the part two days have started to eat bigger meals. I've noticed I've lost a little weight- I'm overweight but I'd say I've lost around 4lb. This has triggers more worry - can any one else relate to this please I'm desperate xxxx

jayb1
12-11-15, 14:46
Yep there's a lot of us on here with exactly the same thing . I struggle to find things that I can eat because the thought of things I used to love now makes me gag. It's 2.45pm now and I've managed 1 Farley's rusk !!!! All my clothes are hanging off me . Weight loss can be expected with anxiety try not to worry

dizzy daisy
12-11-15, 14:58
I'm sorry you are experiencing this awful thing too jay but thank you for helping me to stay calm about that at least.
I wouldn't mind but before this latest episode of anxiety kicked in I was moaning about being overweight!! Now because it's not in my control I suppose I'm freaking out about it.
Wishing you well son jay xxxx

Lifelonganxiety!
12-11-15, 16:50
If you're anxious and nauseous, you'll likely lose your appetite. Not eating combined with the constant anxiety raising your heart rate, tensing muscles etc... means you would likely lose some weight, so in this case yes your weight loss could absolutely be down to anxiety.

Saying that though, a difference of 4lbs isn't really that important at all. Your weight can fluctuate by 4lbs a day just in normal circumstances depending on how much you eat, drink etc... If you lose 30lbs in a hurry then you would need to get it checked, but 4lbs is absolutely normal.

dizzy daisy
12-11-15, 18:10
Thank you lifelong for your reply. I'm trying to stay calm and not stress about it too much. I'm making an effort to eat more too.
I'm so fed up of this I can't wait for it to subside but this has been a bad bout xx

johnny1964
12-11-15, 18:30
9 weeks in to anxiety and I've lost 18 lbs. Don't worry about it. it will all come back when you are fully recovered. I'm not sure if you have seen a doctor, but if not, do so. You will need to find ways to alleviate your anxiety. I can recommend exercise, mindful meditation and CBD. Ten years since my last big anxiety problem and I will recover again as will you. Look up " At Last A Life" by Paul David and buy the book. SSRI tablets are not for everyone, but I'm taking them because they helped me 10 years ago. It's the thought that counts. You will need to work on your thinking patterns. The fear is of fear itself. You can get back to normal, you will get back to normal by finding a set of tools to help you. Take a look at my toolbox on my recent post and make one of your own. Good luck.

Worrywart528
12-11-15, 18:57
Yes it happens to me all the time. I will go an entire day sometimes in an absolute panic, racing heart rate, jitters, upset stomach and realize before i try and go to bed I had nothing to eat. When a close relative of mine was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer I dropped from a healthy 210 pounds to 175 in a matter of 2 months.

dizzy daisy
12-11-15, 19:08
Thank you so much Johnny for your reply. I like you in that it's been quite a while since my last bad bout of anxiety. I'm so frustrated that this had happened to me again now and j guess the fact that I haven't had it for so long fuelled the 'what if' thoughts and that's made it worse. I've seen GP which took a lot to go - because I have the health anxiety and also to ask for help. She was very cold with me and just said she wasn't willing to help until I'd had bloods just to make sure I didn't have thyroid issues etc first. This just made my anxiety hit the ceiling!! It was after this that my eating got worse as the tension peaked and I noticed the weight loss. I've been for the bloods a few days ago so that's making me worry lots too xx

---------- Post added at 19:08 ---------- Previous post was at 19:07 ----------

Thank you for your reply worry wart. It's good to know I'm not alone with this crap. Hope we can all feel better very soon xx

Leah1971
12-11-15, 19:54
Hi, I get the same thing. It's pretty much a constant nausea from the anxiety. It's even hard to brush my teeth without gagging. I'm going through a blip at the moment so waking up early with anxiety and feeling sick. I also lose weight pretty quickly. It's scarey but it does come back on once the anxiety settles. I don't really have any advice for you as I get this too and struggle with it. It's sort of just nice to know that you aren't the only one.

dizzy daisy
12-11-15, 20:24
Hi Leah yes that's exactly it I was gagging even brushing teeth it's so bloody awful. Thank goodness that has calmed down now for me. I was so miserable. I'm trying to eat more now but I'm still not eating as i did- no snacking ha ha. My back is aching me now too on my bum cheeks really- tmi!! So I think I've just got myself so tense I feel like I'm 100 years old!! Xx

Leah1971
13-11-15, 03:42
Hi, it is bloody awful! I used to have a sore back earlier in the year. I think it was from not standing tall. Another person on here mentioned that people with anxiety tend to not only be tense but not have very good posture. That we hunch rather than sitting or standing straight. It made so much sense! Glad to hear that you're feeling a bit better now. :)

yogibear
13-11-15, 04:27
You are totally fine. I lost 2 stone from a couple of years ago from been crazy anxious. Its totally normal when you are in such an anxious state x

dizzy daisy
13-11-15, 08:37
Thank you s much leah and yogi. I'm trying my very best not to stress but as you know even when you're being rational your brain doesn't always listen! I do slouch about so I sure that with the tension is making my muscles hurt xxxx