PDA

View Full Version : Poised to google

SmithsFan
12-11-15, 13:35
Have been sitting fighting the urge to google symptoms all morning.

Since learning about health anxiety and making sense of much of my life this is the first real challenge I've faced to believing that HA is at the root of my symptoms.

I started another thread about how alcohol affected me and a heavy night the other week had set me back in terms of the diseases (mainly dementia/MS) I have convinced myself I have. Despite this I was almost glad as it showed a definite link between feeling more anxious (as a result of over-indulgence) and the frequency of symptoms. The fact that I didn't google made me feel stronger. Naively I thought I was over my problems and it was merely a case of watching my life-work-drink balance and telling myself "it's just the HA" from then on in.

Things have been getting worse this week and today I've felt pain or tingling at various times in my: fingers, knuckles, face, head, upper left arm, lower left arm, lower left leg, upper left leg, upper right leg, shoulder blade, middle of back. What I'm now feeling is, "yes, I accept I have HA, but I clearly have MS as well" and those old images of me being pushed in a wheelchair and not getting to see my son come flooding back. I'm not in full panic mode yet but I can feel it building.

I'm not posting this for sympathy, because I know a lot of people here suffer from anxiety much worse than I do. i'm not really doing it for advice either, but just because I need to express my feelings of frustration in some way. My wife has been brilliant about my mental health problems over the years and while I continue to speak to her regularly about how I'm feeling she also has a lot on her plate and I don't want to overload her. I start counselling next week and am continuing to read up about anxiety so hopefully that will help but for the moment I just needed to vent.

I've not felt particularly anxious before the onset of these latest symptoms but I haven't been sleeping well and I've been feeling low a lot of the time and experiencing fairly severe mood swings, brooding on past mistakes and bad memories etc so I suppose that could have acted as a trigger.

I don't think I'll search the web this time but mainly because I've done it so often that I won't uncover anything new rather than me being convinced that my symptoms are being caused by HA and not MS. The sticky thread at the top of the board continues to be an enormous help to me but some time after reading it I will inevitably feel a fairly innocuous twinge, twitch or tingle and think "yeah, but..."

As much as anything else I wanted to have some way of getting across how accepting that HA is at the root of our problems, and really, genuinely believing it, is so much more difficult than it sounds. And I do feel better for writing this.

Bumps in the road, I suppose.

JeffY
12-11-15, 19:55
I have been on Prozac for about a month and it had help with my HA, my mind still still drifts sometimes, I do sometimes get the tingling in my face, arms, and legs. I have every blood work done that I could possible think of, and everything checked out good. I'm in the same boat as you, I have fears of MS and ALS, tell you truth in August I swore I was going to die of a horrible disease before my 35th birthday in October, well I'm still kicking LOL! I hate HA it is such a vicious cycle.

Take care.
Jeff

SmithsFan
12-11-15, 20:03
Glad it's helping you Jeff. I was on Prozac twice for depression when I was younger.

The tingling, muscle fatigue etc. It's just trying to get my head round the fact this is caused by my mind I'm finding difficult at the minute. I know I'll never get better until I properly believe it so I have to keep reminding myself I'm in the symptom-anxiety-worsened symptoms cycle.

My doctor told me MS is one of the most common diseases for HA patients to think they have.

JeffY
12-11-15, 21:08
I hear that, last time I went to the doctor, I wanted to get my blood sugar check again, and I this was a month after I have a A1C test. I also demanded them to give me a lyme disease test, and that came back normal. I told my doctor that is was hard for me to believe that these symptoms are all in my head, but he went over all my blood work, and said I was healthy.

SmithsFan
12-11-15, 21:29
Yup, had masses of blood tests over the years, MRI, other examinations etc for various diseases I thought I suffered for.

Can honestly say I've had tingles, aches or other pains in about 30 locations in my body today. Have to remind myself that the symptoms have got much worse day on day since I noticed them again and as a result started thinking about them.