PDA

View Full Version : 2nd diagnosis confusion

Worrywart528
12-11-15, 13:59
For those of you who do not remember me at the moment I have a severe skin cancer fear. In July I had a dermatologist diagnose me as having dysplastic nevis... Told me my melanoma chances were super high because of this.

It was at that moment I began constant examining my skin. In August of this year I noticed a bump appear on my nose. It is not visible unless I press my nose against a mirror and look at it.

I went back to this Dermatologist 2 weeks ago and she took a quick glance at it and diagnosed it as Actinic Keratosis ( pre cancer) She wanted to freeze it off. I had an work event that evening so I held off. Over the last two weeks I have been sick over this. I found tons of pictures online of this disorder and it freaked me out. My bump never looked like any of the pictures online.

Today I had an appointment with a second dermatologist. He asks me to show him the spot. He brings out a huge scope and looks at it. He says that is harmless. Said it is a fibrous papule...... He looked at me and said You ok ? I said can you take another look... he asked why and I told him I thought it was a pre cancer. He took a closer look and almost pressed against my nose with the magnifying scope. He said nope.... it is harmless keep an eye on it and if it changes let me know. He then examined my face and arms and that was that.

I am now very confused as to what I should do ??? I still have the appointment to get the ( pre cancer ) frozen off but I have no idea which diagnosis I should go with ? The first doctor did not even use a scope to view the bump and this last one took three long looks at it.

Fishmanpa
12-11-15, 14:37
My advice? Freezing off a mole/growth is no big deal regardless if it's harmless or not. While I'm not an advocate of procedures and tests that are not needed, with your HA, if you don't you'll always have the "what if" hanging over you. Just get it done and you won't have to go down "what if" lane.

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
12-11-15, 22:45
I think I would take the appointment but raise this new diagnosis to see if they change their mind. If they stick to their original one, they should give you a good explanation why.

Given the second one performed more closer checks I think I would lean towards them being right.

It's worth knowing if the first diagnosis is an error as it will put your mind at rest about the original fears which may make you keep searching for evidence of simular issues in the future.

Worrywart528
13-11-15, 17:48
Well, got a call this morning from Dermatologist 1's office, the one that diagnosed this spot as pre cancer. The appointment today had to be cancelled because of an emergency on their end.

They rescheduled it for Dec 28th, So fisherman you were 100 percent right. Even though the second doctor took more time to examine the spot and told me three times this spot is a fibrous papule I am obsessed with the first dermatologist's diagnosis.

I have been anxious all day, stomach upset again, and looking at myself in the mirror. Finding any microscopic blemish on my face thinking that my face is not breaking out in pre cancer's. Why am I gravitating towards the first diagnosis ? I