PDA

View Full Version : Can you burn your esophagus?

laurenmk
12-11-15, 16:06
I was having hot chocolate at breakfast and took a big first sip. I realised it was far too hot but had to swallow it because it had already gone to the back of my throat. It hurt going down, and my throat has felt weird ever since. It's not pain, per se, but almost like there's a lump in my throat. Can I have done severe and permanent damage?

Lifelonganxiety!
12-11-15, 16:55
Can you burn it? Yes, you've likely given it a little burn, kind of like you would in your mouth if you eat or drink something too hot.

As for severe or permanent, no. The body is very resilient. Think about when you get heartburn or throw up. The acid in your stomach is extremely potent and given a chance can melt metal. That has to pass along your throat as well and the esophagus is pretty good at dealing with it!

You'll feel discomfort for maybe a couple of days while you heal, but it'll pass.

KayeS
12-11-15, 19:38
I've done this before lol.

The oesophagus is very resilient though and will heal, don't worry :)

MyNameIsTerry
12-11-15, 23:20
Can you burn it? Yes, you've likely given it a little burn, kind of like you would in your mouth if you eat or drink something too hot.

As for severe or permanent, no. The body is very resilient. Think about when you get heartburn or throw up. The acid in your stomach is extremely potent and given a chance can melt metal. That has to pass along your throat as well and the esophagus is pretty good at dealing with it!

You'll feel discomfort for maybe a couple of days while you heal, but it'll pass.

^ Definitely this ^

I've done it meant times and it does leave a strange sensation behind. It will probably inflame slightly while it heals but this is normal.

If it was a true burn you would know about it as it would very painful let alone in a sensitive area like that.

laurenmk
13-11-15, 01:29
Thanks all.

It's not so much pain as discomfort (I can feel my chest, if that makes sense). I know that a 1st degree burn would be okay, but a 2nd or 3rd degree burn wouldn't have pain because the nerves would be gone, and that's terrifying. It could affect breathing, cause infection, etc.

MyNameIsTerry
13-11-15, 08:19
Yes, and a burn like that would...but you are fine. You have discomfort too, so the nerves are also fine.

If drinking hot chocolate or tea or coffee could cause something like that we would have health warnings all over the place because we are consuming hot substances in our billions on a daily basis.