PDA

View Full Version : Feeling like losing touch with reality

Codruta
12-11-15, 17:15
Hi guys, I have terrible anxiety, panic attacks and pretty much depressed all the time, or at least almost all the time. I recently am in a state where I worry people around me might be faking it, that they are playing an act, that everything is directed and nothing is actually what it seems. It's a terrible feeling, and it makes me feel paranoid and about to lose touch with reality. My therapist tells me I'm not paranoid, just terribly anxious and with low self-esteem. However, these feeling of constant panic and depression and these thoughts about people around me make me feel separated, alienated and alone. I feel I can't rely on anything and anyone. I'm terribly afraid. Is it just a panic state or am I about to lose my ground?

ana
12-11-15, 19:41
Hello,
what you are describing sounds like depersonalisation/derealisation to me. It's a very scary feeling, like you're losing touch with reality and nothing, including yourself, is real. It's one of the most common ways that panic attacks manifest for me.

However, your therapist is right - it's just anxiety, and you are not going insane. Insanity doesn't work that way and is not induced by panic attacks.

You're not alone, despite of how you feel. It can feel like you're on your own battling the anxiety, but many people are going through what you are going through. It is important, though, to have a support network, people who care about you and understand what you're going through. :)

sammie13s
12-11-15, 21:00
I agree with Ana. Xxx