PDA

View Full Version : How to measure a lymph node

Westielove
12-11-15, 19:48
Hi fellow lymph node worriers

I was wondering if anyone can tell me how you 'measure' your lymph nodes, as I hear you all saying 'mine measures 1-1.5 cm' etc etc, but how can you tell? I currently have an enlarged lymph node in my armpit and have been feeling it to see if it is a 'normal' size, however when I finally manage to feel it (it jumps away from me so is hard to grip) I can't exactly feel where it begins and ends. I feel like it is bigger than 2cm but my husband felt it and said no it's not and that it's hard to tell the true 'measurement' because of skin around it

How do I know if it's abnormal size?

Thanks for any advice, I'm freaking out here

P.s I have no cold or rundown etc

Fishmanpa
12-11-15, 20:22
From your other thread....

Medical professionals are best to judge and measure a node. That being said, since there's no reason to be doing so, it's best not to poke and prod yourself (I mean it! Take your hand away from your armpit! ;) )

I see you poking it! :whistles: Stop!

Positive thoughts

Lifelonganxiety!
12-11-15, 20:50
Fishmanpa has it right, you shouldn't be measuring it in the first place.

Nobody (i doubt) is actually getting a ruler out and measuring nodes. If anything it's just based on a rough estimate. The only thing you need to do is make sure it isn't growing or causing other issues.

In this case, I don't think it's doing anything and you're just making it worse by prodding.

Westielove
12-11-15, 20:51
Hahaha! Guilty as charged

Thanks fishmanpa but my docs appt is so far away I'm just wondering whether I need to request a more urgent appt. how can I tell if my node is very enlarged? Or if it's growing? I don't know how to tell :(

Fishmanpa
12-11-15, 21:21
Hahaha! Guilty as charged - I know! ~lol~

Thanks fishmanpa but my docs appt is so far away I'm just wondering whether I need to request a more urgent appt. Nope!

how can I tell if my node is very enlarged? Or if it's growing? I don't know how to tell :( You feel fine and there's absolutely no reason whatsoever to need to know this information or to be self checking!!

Positive thoughts

Westielove
12-11-15, 22:42
Fishmanpa has it right, you shouldn't be measuring it in the first place.

Nobody (i doubt) is actually getting a ruler out and measuring nodes. If anything it's just based on a rough estimate. The only thing you need to do is make sure it isn't growing or causing other issues.

In this case, I don't think it's doing anything and you're just making it worse by prodding.

Thanks for the reply. I know I shouldn't be prodding or measuring it but I wanted to check if it had grown as I discovered it a few months back. I feel like it has grown but I don't know if that is my anxiety. I just hear other people on here saying they felt theirs and it measures about 1.5 cm. how do they know???:unsure:

Fishmanpa
12-11-15, 23:55
I just hear other people on here saying they felt theirs and it measures about 1.5 cm. how do they know???:unsure:

They don't unless a professional tells them. I had swollen nodes with my cancer. I had trained oncologists estimate the size based on their experience. I was told I had two nodes probably close to 5cm on the left side of my neck. It looked like I had the one sided mumps! They measured over 5cm when removed so the pros were pretty darn close. I actually have photos of the cancerous nodes laid next to a ruler. I mean seriously, what are people doing? ...measuring with their fingers, making a guess ... "hmmm, it's about this big"...and taking out a ruler?

Positive thoughts