PDA

View Full Version : This obsession keeps bothering me

Ljj44577
13-11-15, 02:37
There is this obsession that keeps bothering me.

I hope no one is judgmental of what I am going to post here.

There is this obsession that I'm having based on the future. I have obsessions about future family members dying, such as children. I worry that if I do certain things, that will cause a suicide in my family in the future. I know these thoughts are irrational but I don't how to control them. I swear to God that I don't want to have these thoughts. But these thoughts seem so real.

Lately, I've been having this obsession that if I move to a certain part of the state that I live in, that will cause a death in my family in the future. This is a thought that I can't really shake.

I have an OCD problem. It is not full-blown OCD. But these thoughts are always in the back of my mind.

Can thinking about something make it happen?
Can obsessions from OCD end up happening?
Can my OCD thoughts happen?
Can you ease my mind?

MyNameIsTerry
13-11-15, 05:37
It's called Magical Thinking.

http://www.ocduk.org/types-ocd

Magical Thinking Intrusive Thoughts - is the fear is that even thinking about something bad will make it more likely to happen - sometimes also called ‘thought-action fusion’.
Sufferers are beset by intrusive bad thoughts. They try to dispel them by performing rituals - magic rituals, in effect - that are often bizarre and time-consuming and involve linking actions or events that could not possibly be related to each other. For example having the thought 'I may strangle someone' is regarded as being as reprehensible as actually strangling a person. Another example is believing that simply imagining a horrific car crash will increase the likelihood of such a crash taking place, or a person may feel that if they don’t count to ten ‘just right’ harm will come to a family member. Other examples of magical thinking, or thought-action fusion intrusive thoughts include:

A certain colour or number has good or bad luck associated with it.
Certain days have good or bad luck associated with them.
A loved one’s death can be predicted.
One’s thoughts can cause disasters to occur.
Stepping on cracks in the pavement can make bad things happen.
Whatever comes to mind can come true.
Breaking chain letters will actually bring bad luck.
Attending a funeral will bring death.
One can inadvertently cause harm to others with thoughts or carelessness.
Hearing the word ‘death’ will mean repeating the word ‘life’ to prevent death.
In each example listed above, the thoughts and events happening could not possibly ever be linked, but the person with OCD will believe that this possibility does exist, and as a result, this will cause them immense stress and anxiety. As a result, their silent internal compulsive behaviours will take hours, and often prevent them interacting with anyone else during this time.

Can thinking about something make it happen?
No. In CBT a therapist may use a Behavioural Experiment to help the person understand that thoughts do not equate to actions. Have a look at this guide which has a table showing some examples:

http://self-help.tools/obsessive-compulsive-disorder/

Through these experiments we learn that if we don't act on our compulsion, nothing happens as a result. We neither influence or not influence the outcome because we don't have such magical abilities or super powers.

A simple test is think about winning the lottery. Did you win?

Can obsessions from OCD end up happening? Can my OCD thoughts happen?

Yes, they can but not in the way you are thinking. Your obsessions only become true if you choose to act them out. Otherwise it is pure coincidence hence some things can never truly be ruled out. But only you can make them happen, not your OCD.

I have had MT. I would have an image of my parents in my head and if I didn't touch the object I touched when seeing the image, something bad would happen to them. A lot of the time I would have no idea what that would be but I felt compelled to mitigate the possible risk. This is where you can end up doing it "just in case" because your fear could be years off hence by Behavioural Experiments seek to prove if you have any influence over something now to disprove your MT abilities.