PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone get anxious when they're offered to go for tests "if they want"?

Gregg_
13-11-15, 14:02
I had this summer (as I've posted on this forum before) HUGE Lymphoma anxiety after a CT scan picked up a slightly enlarged spleen.

I have no other swollen nodes, clear blood, clear chest X-Rays, been told by two doctors a haematologist etc that there is no concern.

I think it's finally going in that I'm fine, after months of unnecessary worry.

One thing I found really interesting though, is that when I went to see my GP recently and asked about if there is anyway to monitor the spleen - he told me that "if I want" he would suggest I could go for a repeat CT scan and blood work done in 4 or 5 months but as of right now, everything is fine.

When I was speaking to my therapist recently, she explained that when we're offered tests that we don't need, it can intense anxiety, and it's done very much this for me recently.

I keep getting these "You can't enjoy Christmas because it will be in your mind that you might have to go for repeat tests and they might come back showing the spleen has gone bigger or tumours have been found" thoughts.

My therapist said she was going to speak to my Doctor and tell him to only give me tests I need.

I was wondering has anyone else been in situations where they've been offered tests "if they want" and it causes more anxiety?

TheMadOladCoger
13-11-15, 14:08
Hello,

Yesterday I was offered a Blood test "If I want it" I said yes as I was worried and the Blood test will rule out what I am worried about.
Right now I am worried out of my mind due to the wait, so yes I think I am experiencing that right now. I think it always happens as I am always offered "If I want it" tests and then I spend the next week/couple of days worrying.

Peace

pulisa
13-11-15, 14:15
I think the doctor should decide whether a test is necessary or not. To give the HA patient the option is downright inappropriate and just causes doubt and worry.

dizzy daisy
13-11-15, 14:17
I'm exactly the same. My GP suggested it and then said she would like me yo have it. That made me feel more worried and when I explained I had anxiety and the thought of tests made me worry more she said don't be silly it's no big deal xxx

pulisa
13-11-15, 17:14
But the whole point is it IS a big deal for those with HA

daisyflower
13-11-15, 17:28
A sensitive doctor who is aware of your health anxiety should not have said that, imo. However, some people with health anxiety a reassured by tests and seem to go for repeated tests. I have a phobia of tests so this doesn't include me.

I went the doctors a month or so ago with a worry and my doctor was great, he said, 'I could run all kinds of tests on you but I honestly think you don't need it and it will put you through hell and really not help your anxiety.'

jayb1
13-11-15, 17:47
Spot on pulisa why offer unnecessary tests it causes extreme anxiety to the people waiting for the tests and the results. Plus a drain on NHS resources. Ridiculous

Gregg_
13-11-15, 18:22
I think the doctor should decide whether a test is necessary or not. To give the HA patient the option is downright inappropriate and just causes doubt and worry.

I agree.

My therapist wasn't happy with the "if you want to, you can have these tests repeated in a few months"attitude by the Doctor.

I'd explained to the Dr that I suffer from extreme health anxiety but I don't think he really understood how bad it was. His wording was just so wrong over some of the things he said.

dizzy daisy
13-11-15, 20:03
That's been my experience too Greg. I'm frightened now to call the surgery and I need to get a sick note as in returning to work hopefully in Monday. I'm terrified because of the blood test results but also I don't feel comfortable talking to the GP about the anxiety issue again either xxx

Gregg_
16-11-15, 23:45
That's been my experience too Greg. I'm frightened now to call the surgery and I need to get a sick note as in returning to work hopefully in Monday. I'm terrified because of the blood test results but also I don't feel comfortable talking to the GP about the anxiety issue again either xxx

Hi Daisy. Yeah it's a strange one. I didn't even realise Dr's offering tests if you want can cause so much anxiety until my therapist said.

The thing that's worrying me now is that Christmas is without a doubt my favourite time of year, but I just keep getting this worry about not enjoying it properly because I keep getting these "well what if you have to go back in a couple of months and they find something this time" and "for all you know it could be your last Christmas" thoughts.

SO extreme, and kind of stupid when I see the words wrote down, but it's like a constant feeling of nervous butterflies in the stomach.

My friends and family keep reminding me that ANY of us could be developing something horrible that we don't know about but you can't live life worrying.

My doctor spoke to me recently and told me I'd had more investigation than a 60 year old man...and I'm 24. He explained that the best haematologist he knows was very happy with my blood and the spleen is nothing to worry about. He told me that my mind is the problem. Nothing physically. Of course that goes on....but then the horrible anxiety tells you...yeah but if you go again they might find something that time. It was the other doctor that told me "if you want you could always go back and if your spleen is normal then, it's all good" - not the best words to say to somebody with HA.

As we all know on this forum, it's just horrible. I think for me personally, I've had a hard time actually coming to terms with the fact that this worry is psychological. It's quite disturbing as I've always seen myself as a pretty sensible guy with my head screwed on right. I knew I'd been a worrier but didn't realise how bad it was getting.

---------- Post added at 23:45 ---------- Previous post was at 23:31 ----------

I forgot too, I was chatting to my therapist about my general anxiety.

Obviously, with CBT you challenge your behaviours, so over the past couple of months I've ben given different behaviours. Me and my therapist was talking about how I'm enjoying challenging these random day to day behaviours.

She did tell me that Health Anxiety is a bigger problem because of all the "what ifs" but I would get to a point where I would enjoy the challenges of HA (i.e. only going to a doctor if I'm sent for or I'm unwell). That's how I'm trying to treat this now, as a challenge. Yes it's a big challenge for someone with HA but if I don't go because I feel well, it's like a massive slap in the face to the dreadful anxiety and mind.

Fadkin
28-10-17, 15:12
I understand this all too well. For months I worried I had pancreatic cancer. As I posted earlier in another thread, with the exception of losing about 7 pounds over a 6 month period I really had absolutely no other symptoms.

However, I had two friends over the last 3 years, one very recently, die of this cancer so my HA took over. I have a wonderfully compassionate Doctor and just began CBT. I had full blood tests, x rays all normal.

Nonetheless the dark fears gnawed incessantly. To put an end to the fears my Doctor suggested a cat scan to show me all was fine. I agreed but now realize it was my HA. I’m fine, weight is stable, no symptoms. I feel stupid going for a scan taking up a space in a medical system where people with potentially real symptoms need it more than me. I’d welcome your thoughts.

Magic
28-10-17, 15:15
If I am asked to have tests for anything to do with my health. I will have them done.
Better to find out sooner than later.

Fadkin
28-10-17, 16:13
If that were the case of course I would. However, it’s pretty clear he offered me the scan to help ease my anxiety. He told me quite clearly he had no concerns So in that light any other thoughts re my question?

pulisa
28-10-17, 19:23
Your doctor should make the judgement based on clinical need. The patient shouldn't have the option to have any procedure for reassurance purposes only if the doctor believes there is no clinical need. Effectively you are having a procedure for the wrong reasons but by putting you in that position the doctor has enabled your HA to continue.

Leslie735
28-10-17, 21:11
Yep! I've had a couple breast ultrasounds and breast MRI for this purpose. Reassurance.