PDA

View Full Version : Please help, serious eye problems!

LittleLostGirl
13-11-15, 15:08
Ive avoided posting on this forum for a long time. Ive been following the threads on here reading everyones experiences, praying that my anxiety would go away. Well it hasnt and Ive decided to reach out for help.
All of this started in August when I experienced what I believe to be an ocular migrane (the first Ive ever had). It began with a squiggly line in my vision that rapidly expanded and culminated into a flashing orb that distorted my peripheral vision on my right side. The entire episode lasted only about 15 minutes but was enough to cause me extreme panic. I went to the emergency room where the doctors released me, claiming it to be caused by anxiety. The following month I experienced three more episodes of the exact same nature all within one week. And finally, about a week after the last episode, I was at work and fainted. I work in a hospital so I was rushed down to the emergency department again. When the nurse admitted me, it was mentioned that I had a suspected seizure. Apparently when I collapsed I momentarily had convulsions. However I recall the entire series of events- I felt light headed, I managed to make it to a chair to sit down and I told a nurse I did not feel well. I then blacked out but I came around quickly and was able to comprehend where and who I was and what had happened. I had no loss of urine or stool. The admitting nurse ruled out the possibility of seizure and the information was not relayed to the physician. I was given an EKG (which came out normal) and released with the same diagnosis, anxiety.
About a week after that I started noticing strange spots in my vision. And this has been the ultimate cause of my lasting anxiety over the past few weeks. I will often get what looks like a bright spot of light in my eye, almost like I got a glimpse of something bright and the afterimage remains. However this often happens when there is nothing around that could have caused this. Sometimes it has the same shape but sometimes I believe the shape changes. It will last for 2 or 3 seconds and disappears when I blink. At first I only noticed it randomly throughout the day. Now I seem to see it especially when standing up, when going from a well-lit to a dimly-lit room, and especially while Im in the shower. I am now constantly monitoring my vision and it seems Im noticing more and more disturbances. Ive seen tiny pinpricks of light that flash in front of my eyes and disappear very quickly. When looking at a blank wall I will see what looks like blotches or patches out of the corner of my eye. Ive seen a dim blue light out of the corner of my eye. I am constantly checking to see if Im actually seeing these things, each time my heart sinks when I realize nothing is there. I have also noticed an increase in floaters and lingering after images. Ive suffered from visual snow for as long as I can remember but it seems like that too has gotten worse. I went to an optometrist and had a dilation. She said she didnt seem to notice anything but suggested I see a neurologist. I am scheduled for a CT scan and consultation next week. I work full time and I am also a student. The minute I wake up (if Im even able to sleep) my stomach is in knots. I often feel like I cant breathe and am on the verge of passing out again. This has completely dominated my life. Im always on the verge of tears. I fear my vision will only continue to get worse and that I will eventually be blind. I have become obsessed with googling my symptoms and Im now convinced that I have epilepsy, MS, a tumor, the list goes on and on.
I have been diagnosed with anxiety since I was in my early teens and I have been on fluoxetine for the past three years. I havent experienced panic like this since I was in highschool. I am so afraid that I will lose everything to this. My job, my relationship, my sanity. If anyone has experienced the same type of visual problems and has any insight or suggestions please let me know. I feel like Im dying everyday. I dont know how much longer I can go on like this. I suppose my main concern is whether my vision will be like this forever or if my anxiety is making it worse? Will it get better when my anxiety does? What do I do until then? Please please help!

dizzy daisy
13-11-15, 15:57
Hi there. That does sound like ocular migraine to me. I had one a few weeks ago and even though I've had them before they totally freak me out. It sparked major anxiety. Sounds like you had the ocular migraine and have anxiety about it too.
I too sometimes get what looks like a small bright spot just for a second and it freaks me out too but it's happened for years now xxx

LittleLostGirl
13-11-15, 16:04
Thanks Dizzy, I'm glad to hear someone else has experienced something similar. Do you find that your more able to tune out the bright spot as time goes by/ don't panic about it after a while?

dizzy daisy
13-11-15, 16:48
I notice it's worse when I'm feeling stressed. I don't get it very much if my anxiety is under control.
It's a horrible experience ocular migraine. I've had migraine since I was 16 but the ocular type only started once I turned 30. I was terrified at first and came home from work in a right panic. I tried to call my GP but couldn't get through and was so upset I called NHS direct. A nurse spoke with me and said just sit still for a while and calm down and she talked to me asking questions. She asked if it seemed to be going away. After about 10 minutes it had gone and she said she didn't think it was serious at all but advised to have my eyes checked. I went to have them checked and they said nothing was wrong and they suspected ocular migraine. Said it was quite common and especially as I use a pc all day for work. I was convinced I was something serious and even now they freak me out years later.
Xxxx

turboswag
03-04-16, 16:40
Hello! I've never had an ocular migraine before but I get the bright spots and also the pinpricks of light! The bright spots I notice whenever I go outside, they're worse when I blink and then slowly fad over a few minutes. The pin pricks come and go randomly but I see WAY more when I focus on them. Today I've gotten an "afterimage" effect that is more prominent when I blink and then fades over a few seconds. It's only in one eye and is very small, doesn't obstruct my vision but it's frightening! I haven't looked at anything bright to cause this and it's lasted for maybe 10 minutes now. :(

Josh1234
03-04-16, 17:24
thats scary. good luck at your scan.

Mummybee
03-04-16, 21:39
Hello little lost girl,
I am feeling just like you at the moment, awaiting a neuro appointment because of vision issues that my GP and opthamologist couldn't explain.
I see dark splodges in the corners of my eyes when I move them side to side, i have big circles in my vision after bending forward or hanging my head forward. I see static and after images and flashes and floaters all the time as well as a flickering strobe feeling in my peripheral vision
I wake up each day convinced it will get worse
You're not alone

Annoyed
03-04-16, 21:44
Thanks Dizzy, I'm glad to hear someone else has experienced something similar. Do you find that your more able to tune out the bright spot as time goes by/ don't panic about it after a while?

A CT scan for ocular migraines. Interesting!

I'm not a doctor, but I have ocular migraines. You described them perfectly. Horrible they are.

I get a squiggle in my vision. Orbs of flashing lights. Sometimes a bit of blurring. After about 30 minutes usually a killer headache appears. Sometimes not though. The headaches can be minor.

I would bet the farm this is your issue. They are rare for me now. Hydration seems to prevent them.

My personal method of coping? Advil and Red Bull. Migraines are vascular in nature. Caffeine dilates blood vessels. Works wonders.

CT scan will probably show nothing. I'm pretty sure you'll be fine :)