PDA

View Full Version : Anxious / panicky when hungry? Big problem

hazmatz
13-11-15, 22:13
Hi all

For many years I have noticed that if I go for too long without eating (around an hour and a half) I feel very shaky and panicky and my body feels flushed and I feel dizzy. This is an issue for me because I work long days at the office and only get a fifteen minute break every 3 hours or so. I was checked for diabetes when I was younger but no results came back. I do however have very low blood pressure according to the nurse, which is also concerning but not sure if related at all.

Does anyone else ever get this way? What can I do? I am not allowed to eat or drink anything but water while in the office.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Lifelonganxiety!
13-11-15, 23:08
Yikes, what kind of office do you work in that only allows water??

Anyway, you should bring it up with a doctor and ask for blood tests. You could very well be lacking in a vitamin (do you take a daily multivitamin or iron pill? could help).

I am in no way saying you have diabetes either, but you could ask for them to check just to rule it out and for peace of mind.

It could easily be any number of things though, tiredness, too much caffeine, hangover, anxiety.

Randara
14-11-15, 00:12
Hiya, could be to do with our blood sugar levels dropping maybe? Personally I have to eat little and often, definitely not one for leaving hours between meals. Hunger does make my anxiety worse too, also makes me grumpy. Don't deal with hunger well at all.

Maybe try eating meals that are known for slow releasing energy, just found this on the nhs website http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/tiredness-and-fatigue/Pages/energy-diet.aspx

hazmatz
14-11-15, 22:10
Awesome replies, thanks guys. I do take a multivitamin daily however it never occurred to me that I may be lacking in iron (especially since I don't eat meat)

Great link as well, Randara. I really appreciate you finding that. Thanks again.