PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me?

debbsi
17-02-07, 09:55
Hi

I am always worried about something, I can one day be worried about my children, next day about my health, next money then my car (keeps breaking down), next my house, work, holidays, aaaaaaaaaghhhhh!!!!
Just as I stop worrying about one thing, another worry takes over, its like my brain is programmed to always worry. Wish I could find the switch that turns the worry bit off:)

Deb x

Elle
17-02-07, 10:43
Deb

It's so easy to be like that but have you noiced that whilst you are worrying about one thing then you aren't worrying about another? It's as if the brain has only one worry slot and when that one is exhausted we move on to a fresh one. But only one at a time. That means that most of the time we're not worrying about a whole host of things, it's as if they've been put on hold. They're just simmering away in the background.

Now, wouldn't it be great if we could throw away those simmering pots? Never let them boil over. I guess it's all about controlling our wayward thoughts. But surely it can be done.

Elle

debbsi
17-02-07, 10:46
Exactly! Just one worry slot, couldnt have put it better myself, what we need to do is do something with that worry slot! Only I dont know what or how?

Deb

kellym
17-02-07, 22:47
i am the same except my worries last for ages and once that worry has gone i worry about another thing for ages, but i do have little worries inbetween like "did i turn that tap off or did i lock the door" i am currently on the waiting list for CBT Therapy so hopefully i will get some good info on how to tackle negative thoughts and self doubt etc. pls if anybody does find out how to switch the worry off then do let me know!!

Meg
18-02-07, 17:54
It's reported that we have 50,000 thoughts a day.

If our brains find a gap in an anxious person sthoughts , be sure it will be filled with a worry or concern. If there is a gap in a inventors mind be sure it will be filled with a new idea or building on an old idea.

You can go someway to control this by always having a intricate project or plan to insist and direct your thoughts to - that you think about and research.

When I was acutely anxious I planned a wonderful holiday in detail that I was far too scared to ever go on .. but the planning and research kept my brain from worrying about how I was feeling those days.