PDA

View Full Version : And now I am anxious AGAIN!! (Coccyx Pain)

KayeS
14-11-15, 23:19
Now I am really angry at myself and also at the fact that this is happening again.

I was innocently looking up lower back stretches to try and help the pain and stumbled upon a spine health page that had some information about a painful coccyx, and it basically said that coccyx pain is quite uncommon and usually occurs in women after childbirth or if you've fallen on it and injured it... both of which do not apply to me. It then said that it's even rarer when the coccyx isn't actually painful to the touch, which is what I have. And then went on to say that if this is the case, an X-Ray and/or MRI should be performed to rule out infection or a tumour. So brilliant... I seem to fit the criteria for the most serious causes of this pain. I actually cannot believe this is happening again.

---------- Post added at 23:19 ---------- Previous post was at 23:03 ----------

Literally the ONLY thing that is stopping me absolutely losing it right now is that the pain isn't CONSTANT... and I'm trying to tell myself that if it was a tumour, the pain would be there all the time surely? But then I don't actually know if thats even true?

Sparkling_Fairy
15-11-15, 01:17
Coccyx pain when sitting down too long or on a hard surface is actually pretty normal. A lot of people have it.
Especially after losing weight. I don't know if that's the case for you, but I lost about 1,5 stone and ever since I can feel my coccyx sticking out way more and it gets sore when I sit down too long.

I don't know what kind of pain you're experiencing, whether it's just when you sit or otherwise too. But I looked up a lot about coccyx pain and it seems very common to me

MyNameIsTerry
15-11-15, 02:47
I think it's perhaps best you consult your GP about it with it getting worse. If the stretches are making it worse, you need another plan and that needs to come from someone in the profession.

KayeS
15-11-15, 10:51
Coccyx pain when sitting down too long or on a hard surface is actually pretty normal. A lot of people have it.
Especially after losing weight. I don't know if that's the case for you, but I lost about 1,5 stone and ever since I can feel my coccyx sticking out way more and it gets sore when I sit down too long.

I don't know what kind of pain you're experiencing, whether it's just when you sit or otherwise too. But I looked up a lot about coccyx pain and it seems very common to me

The worrying thing for me is that it doesn't actually hurt if I press on the coccyx. It just seems to randomly hurt (a lot) whether I'm standing, sitting, or lying down. I didn't sleep AT ALL last night because it was in agony!

---------- Post added at 10:51 ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 ----------

I think it's perhaps best you consult your GP about it with it getting worse. If the stretches are making it worse, you need another plan and that needs to come from someone in the profession.

See I was thinking this, and then I just thought to myself how ridiculous it is that I have to go back there AGAIN... Honestly I will be instantly dismissed and told to come back in a few weeks if it's still there....

MyNameIsTerry
15-11-15, 11:31
Well thats certainly possible as GP's like to monitor things if they feel tests aren't warranted based on the presenting symptoms.

I'm not considering all the spine health, tumour, tests needed, etc I'm considering the fact something physical is causing pain that is getting worse. It doesn't have to be something sinister to need some medication to help some inflammation go down. It could even be that whatever it is, those stretches have made it worse and your GP may tell you to do something else or rest it up or give you some antinflammatories, etc.

I don't think seeing a GP for those reasons is unreasonable and any person without HA, or even anxiety, would go if they felt like it and not think twice. It's not giving into HA to go when a condition feels like it is worsening, it's giving into HA when you know there is no point going and it's just to reinforce it with the use of tests and a doctors shortlived reassurance.

With my GF's tumour, and this is just one experience, it was originally diagnosed as kidney stones. So, you can imagine the pain. It wasn't constant but it was there a lot and sometimes she was doubled up with it. I don't think you would even be considering this if that chiropractor hadn't put it in your head and I think you should leave it to the professionals to decide if any tests are needed or whether this is something that just needs treatment & monitoring.

Don't be too hard on yourself either. Negative feelings/thoughts about yourself are one of anxieties many traps. We all do it, but we need to learn how to take a step back or outside the situation and see if how we are viewing it is the best way. It's hard though and comes with practice but you have done plenty of this before and I believe you can do it again.

KayeS
15-11-15, 12:08
Well thats certainly possible as GP's like to monitor things if they feel tests aren't warranted based on the presenting symptoms.

I'm not considering all the spine health, tumour, tests needed, etc I'm considering the fact something physical is causing pain that is getting worse. It doesn't have to be something sinister to need some medication to help some inflammation go down. It could even be that whatever it is, those stretches have made it worse and your GP may tell you to do something else or rest it up or give you some antinflammatories, etc.

I don't think seeing a GP for those reasons is unreasonable and any person without HA, or even anxiety, would go if they felt like it and not think twice. It's not giving into HA to go when a condition feels like it is worsening, it's giving into HA when you know there is no point going and it's just to reinforce it with the use of tests and a doctors shortlived reassurance.

With my GF's tumour, and this is just one experience, it was originally diagnosed as kidney stones. So, you can imagine the pain. It wasn't constant but it was there a lot and sometimes she was doubled up with it. I don't think you would even be considering this if that chiropractor hadn't put it in your head and I think you should leave it to the professionals to decide if any tests are needed or whether this is something that just needs treatment & monitoring.

Don't be too hard on yourself either. Negative feelings/thoughts about yourself are one of anxieties many traps. We all do it, but we need to learn how to take a step back or outside the situation and see if how we are viewing it is the best way. It's hard though and comes with practice but you have done plenty of this before and I believe you can do it again.

Seriously... if I was religious, I would think somebody up there is having a joke on my behalf. I was just getting things back to normal. And the annoying thing is I can't really put this down to just anxiety as I am in serious pain with this. Obviously being anxious about it isn't helping but seriously? Something else already?

I just called my chiropractor to see if he can see me again today instead of tomorrow... waiting for a call back. Also planning on going to the GP tomorrow and asking for an X-Ray. If I remember correctly you just get a form and go straight away to have one, like with a blood test.

MyNameIsTerry
15-11-15, 12:22
It's like buses sometimes, nothing then 3 back-to-back. Sod's Law.

Yeah, it's like with blood tests. I think the card just runs out after so many weeks but it's been so many years since I've had one but I'm betting there are plenty of people on here who will be able to say for sure.

The thing is, pain is part of normal, so it's another challenge because we will get sick at some point in our lives. It can feel demoralising when you are trying to recover and it's one for skills like acceptance but also challenging & rationalisation. Some people may feel they get stronger for going through it now rather than later because at least they know they can face such challenges and come through them.

See what they say. Your GP may not even want an X-ray, they may be able to diagnose the problem without or at least treat it.

Treat things like this like any other illness you get like a cold or if you had an accident like falling over and pulling something. It's a nuisance but it''s just something that happens but we can still learn to tackle the anxiety element much better if nothing else. It's exposure really, but we are not always further enough through our recovery to handle it the best but you will get there. If you feel your anxiety running away with itself, you can still work on it irrespective of a physical issue.

KayeS
15-11-15, 12:27
It's like buses sometimes, nothing then 3 back-to-back. Sod's Law.

Yeah, it's like with blood tests. I think the card just runs out after so many weeks but it's been so many years since I've had one but I'm betting there are plenty of people on here who will be able to say for sure.

The thing is, pain is part of normal, so it's another challenge because we will get sick at some point in our lives. It can feel demoralising when you are trying to recover and it's one for skills like acceptance but also challenging & rationalisation. Some people may feel they get stronger for going through it now rather than later because at least they know they can face such challenges and come through them.

See what they say. Your GP may not even want an X-ray, they may be able to diagnose the problem without or at least treat it.

Treat things like this like any other illness you get like a cold or if you had an accident like falling over and pulling something. It's a nuisance but it''s just something that happens but we can still learn to tackle the anxiety element much better if nothing else. It's exposure really, but we are not always further enough through our recovery to handle it the best but you will get there. If you feel your anxiety running away with itself, you can still work on it irrespective of a physical issue.

The thing that has set me off with this is what I read last night.

The fact that I read that Coccyx pain in itself is 'fairly uncommon', and then it's even more uncommon if you aren't a woman who has been through childbirth, or if you haven't fallen or injured it in the past. And then it's EVEN MORE UNCOMMON if the Coccyx pain isn't made worse by pressing on it, which is how mine is. It then concluded that if this is the case, scans should be done before anything else as this tends to point to something more sinister. It just really is typical that I would match up with the most uncommon symptoms. I'm honestly sitting here in disbelief that I am in this position again.

MyNameIsTerry
15-11-15, 12:43
By match, do you mean you have found your symptoms AND also looked for symptoms you have that don't fit the diagnosis as well as looking for symptoms you should have but don't? OR do you mean you have matched only symptoms that you have that are in that diagnosis. There is a big difference between the two.

Eitherway it really is still one for a medical professional. For instance, there may be other conditions that overlap and they would know but we can zoom in on conditions without searching for the possibility of anything else.

I know it's the challenge with HA but you know the trigger and you know you have a real physical problem to sort out and the current challenge is to accept this and try to reduce anxiety levels and negative thinking. So, what tools can you use to work on that until you get to see these people?

Elen
15-11-15, 12:48
From your first post "I went to a chiropractor about it today and he said my hip flexor on the left side is very tight and could be the cause of this pain. He's given me some exercises to do etc..."

I would guess that because your hip is a problem that you are carrying yourself in a slightly awkward angle which is causing problems elsewhere.

Sadly muscular injurys can take some time to clear up, hence the problem being so on going.

Are you doing the exercises recommended by the chiro?

If you can get normal movement into your hip again its entirely possible that the re-directed pain on your coccyx will relieve itself.

Painkillers may help meantime as well.

Always worth asking the GP for a physio referral as they are great at giving you exercises to help.

KayeS
15-11-15, 12:53
By match, do you mean you have found your symptoms AND also looked for symptoms you have that don't fit the diagnosis as well as looking for symptoms you should have but don't? OR do you mean you have matched only symptoms that you have that are in that diagnosis. There is a big difference between the two.

Eitherway it really is still one for a medical professional. For instance, there may be other conditions that overlap and they would know but we can zoom in on conditions without searching for the possibility of anything else.

I know it's the challenge with HA but you know the trigger and you know you have a real physical problem to sort out and the current challenge is to accept this and try to reduce anxiety levels and negative thinking. So, what tools can you use to work on that until you get to see these people?

I have an appointment at 8pm tonight with the Chiropractor again...

In the meantime I'm just trying to stop thinking about it but with this problem in particular, it's extremely hard as the pain seems to come whether I'm sitting or standing now, so I don't actually know what the hell to do with myself in the meantime.

---------- Post added at 12:53 ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 ----------

From your first post "I went to a chiropractor about it today and he said my hip flexor on the left side is very tight and could be the cause of this pain. He's given me some exercises to do etc..."

I would guess that because your hip is a problem that you are carrying yourself in a slightly awkward angle which is causing problems elsewhere.

Sadly muscular injurys can take some time to clear up, hence the problem being so on going.

Are you doing the exercises recommended by the chiro?

If you can get normal movement into your hip again its entirely possible that the re-directed pain on your coccyx will relieve itself.

Painkillers may help meantime as well.

Always worth asking the GP for a physio referral as they are great at giving you exercises to help.

I was doing the suggested exercises but I felt like they actually made it worse :/

swgrl09
15-11-15, 14:42
Early in my treatment with a chiro, I did find my pain got a bit worse before it got better. Ask your chiro all your questions tonight so you can go home with your mind a bit at ease. Let us know how it goes.

---------- Post added at 09:42 ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 ----------

Just to add ... sometimes doctors don't realize how anxious we can get about things they say, as to them it is no big deal, just business as usual. When I was very young - only 13 years old, one of my first experiences with HA was with a dermatologist. I had a dark mark show up on my back and it was pretty big. We went and he wanted to take a biopsy and said offhand "to rule out anything like cancer, etc." Well I went home and freaked out all weekend, not sleeping, etc. It got so bad my mother had to call and talk to the doctor, who said that he did not think it was cancer at all, but just had to do the biopsy to confirm his diagnosis. He wasn't even worried about it. It was just part of daily business to do the test to make sure.

That was one of my first HA panic and anxiety attacks. I think doctors don't always realize how their words can trigger us.

KayeS
15-11-15, 15:01
Early in my treatment with a chiro, I did find my pain got a bit worse before it got better. Ask your chiro all your questions tonight so you can go home with your mind a bit at ease. Let us know how it goes.

---------- Post added at 09:42 ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 ----------

Just to add ... sometimes doctors don't realize how anxious we can get about things they say, as to them it is no big deal, just business as usual. When I was very young - only 13 years old, one of my first experiences with HA was with a dermatologist. I had a dark mark show up on my back and it was pretty big. We went and he wanted to take a biopsy and said offhand "to rule out anything like cancer, etc." Well I went home and freaked out all weekend, not sleeping, etc. It got so bad my mother had to call and talk to the doctor, who said that he did not think it was cancer at all, but just had to do the biopsy to confirm his diagnosis. He wasn't even worried about it. It was just part of daily business to do the test to make sure.

That was one of my first HA panic and anxiety attacks. I think doctors don't always realize how their words can trigger us.

Thank you, and yeah I totally get that. I've often found that if a doctor doesn't know how badly I deal with anxiety and health related things, they seem to always drop these littles nuggets that just totally set me off...

I'm actually going to mention my anxiety to him today and what I'm fearing it might be... I'm hoping he will say something along the lines of "if it was that, there would be a multitude of other symptoms", as I genuinely don't know. I didn't go and look up spinal tumours last night. In fact I slammed my laptop shut in a panic. I'm so sick of this....

Fishmanpa
15-11-15, 15:10
I think you know what I'm going to say in that it's just a pain... a PITA but still just a pain. We all get them.

I know you were seeking therapy and mentioned looking into a different therapist. How is that going?

Positive thoughts

KayeS
15-11-15, 15:43
I think you know what I'm going to say in that it's just a pain... a PITA but still just a pain. We all get them.

I know you were seeking therapy and mentioned looking into a different therapist. How is that going?

Positive thoughts

Went to my GP about it who referred me to an organisation that deal with all types of therapy. They gave me a call on Monday and I had a kind of phone session with them where we discussed my anxiety and what type of therapy would benefit me the most, and came to the conclusion that I would probably benefit from CBT. So they've referred me onto the people who deal with that and I should be getting my first appointment through in the next couple of weeks.
My GP thought that I should try this before looking at medication...

In regards to this pain... especially this time around, it's really made me realise how bad I am at dealing with when this happens, and it's actually really disheartening. Because every time, I say, right, never again. And then, surprise surprise, back where I was a couple of months ago.

Fishmanpa
15-11-15, 18:03
Went to my GP about it who referred me to an organisation that deal with all types of therapy. They gave me a call on Monday and I had a kind of phone session with them where we discussed my anxiety and what type of therapy would benefit me the most, and came to the conclusion that I would probably benefit from CBT. So they've referred me onto the people who deal with that and I should be getting my first appointment through in the next couple of weeks.
My GP thought that I should try this before looking at medication...

In regards to this pain... especially this time around, it's really made me realise how bad I am at dealing with when this happens, and it's actually really disheartening. Because every time, I say, right, never again. And then, surprise surprise, back where I was a couple of months ago.

Believe it or not, that's a huge step ahead of where you were with the intestinal stuff a little while back. While obviously you're struggling a bit, you're well aware of the issue and are frustrated with the way you deal with triggers like this. I think you'll do quite well with CBT.

Keep your chin up! One step at a time and you'll get there.

Positive thoughts

pulisa
15-11-15, 18:36
You were anticipating a new HA focus a couple of weeks back if I remember correctly? And now you've got one..

It doesn't take a lot for HA to latch onto something new and dig deep. I hope the chiro appointment is helpful-Sunday evening appointments must be pricey?

KayeS
15-11-15, 20:59
You were anticipating a new HA focus a couple of weeks back if I remember correctly? And now you've got one..

It doesn't take a lot for HA to latch onto something new and dig deep. I hope the chiro appointment is helpful-Sunday evening appointments must be pricey?

He charged me normal price thankfully lol.

I told him all my fears and he was was understanding but honest. He said although unlikely in general, he said that it is a possibility that it's something more serious and he actually suggested paying privately for an MRI scan to rule anything out... I really don't think I can afford that again though, and going via NHS will take 3+ months... I really don't know what to do.

pulisa
15-11-15, 22:07
Easy for the chiro to say-not so easy for you as the ball is now in your court and the doubt/uncertainty increases. I'd make an appointment with your GP (a routine one) and see what he/she thinks. By that time the pain may have got better? If it hasn't then the GP can decide what to do next. Private MRI scans are tempting when you're really anxious but are hideously expensive and how long will "peace of mind" last until the next episode? Good luck with your therapy plans-HA is such a b*gger

KayeS
15-11-15, 23:12
Easy for the chiro to say-not so easy for you as the ball is now in your court and the doubt/uncertainty increases. I'd make an appointment with your GP (a routine one) and see what he/she thinks. By that time the pain may have got better? If it hasn't then the GP can decide what to do next. Private MRI scans are tempting when you're really anxious but are hideously expensive and how long will "peace of mind" last until the next episode? Good luck with your therapy plans-HA is such a b*gger

A private MRI would cost about £250... I am seriously considering it right now as I'm currently sitting here with extreme anxiety about all of this again.

I am so sick of this.

MyNameIsTerry
16-11-15, 05:06
There are exercises in this book which deal with referred pain. It's a trigger point massage technique:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=169782

Obviously with pain being present, don't do anything that hurts too much or consult someone but if it helps, it's worth a go and very easy to learn.

Pain is split into 2 catagories. Primary and Secondary. Primary being the actual pain from the site and Secondary being our intepretation of it resulting in how we feel about it. The latter is the same as how our anxiety disorders are a problem for us and so with pain we can be using the same over awareness to make them worse. I believe in this because I have found that when I am more anxious due to my blips, my physical aches & pains heighten. I've had something like sciatica for over 18 months and joint pain for over 6 which is steadily expanding (first hips, then knees, now one wrist, etc). I know that focussing on my aches & pains makes them feel more intense. So, I know my Secondary pain response is over the top and by working on it, pain lessens and this is something I have done with good results so far.

Ever thought about Mindfulness? They use it for pain management too thesedays:

http://franticworld.com/how-to-breathe-yourself-happier-this-week-doctors-claimed-meditation-can-beat-pain-and-depression-im-living-proof/

Another study published recently in the journal Neuroscience suggests mindfulness can reduce the ‘unpleasantness’ of pain by around 60 per cent. Experienced meditators can reduce it by 90 percent.

Dr Fadel Zeidan, lead researcher of the study, carried out at Wake Forest Baptist Medical Centre in North Carolina, says: ‘Meditation produced a greater reduction in pain than even morphine or other pain-relieving drugs.’

http://franticworld.com/relieve-pain-reduce-stress-and-restore-wellbeing-with-week-three-of-our-mindfulness-meditation-course/

http://franticworld.com/mindfulness-meditation-can-reduce-physical-pain-by-90-percent-week-two-of-our-course-shows-you-how/

Perhaps worth a go? Helps with mental health issues anyway. Just follow the link in my signature for a load of free downloads which include the ones off that website by Professor Mark Williams, one of the founders of the NHS's MBCT.

What was your counsellor doing? CBT is really the recommended treatment for anxiety disorders.

KayeS
16-11-15, 11:21
Well I just went to my GP and explained what the Chiropractor told me and he actually seemed equally concerned and has sent me for an X-Ray. He agreed that that type of pain would be referred pain from higher in the spine (which makes me wonder why he's sent me for an X-Ray of the Coccyx/Lumbar spine) and when I asked him the likelihood of it being a spinal tumour, his response was "erm... well... let's just wait and see..."

Brilliant.

MyNameIsTerry
16-11-15, 11:40
Well you got the typical GP response for "dunno" (what do I see here brain?).

But lets face it, if your symptoms were likely indicators then they would have a good idea and not struggle so much with the response. Do you think?

X-ray results can take a while but if there is anything they will contact you quickly. You could probably ask the radiologist? They probably won't want to say much though but I bet they would say if there was nothing there since they are more skilled at reading them anyway.

KayeS
16-11-15, 12:07
I had an X-ray on my hand/wrist a couple of years ago after I was experiencing pain there a month after falling on it, and I remember they came and told me the results (that nothing was broken) almost right after so hopefully they will do the same now... Currently in the waiting room...

The Chiropractor actually said to me yesterday that X-rays don't really show much and I should be getting an MRI done... Sigh...

MyNameIsTerry
16-11-15, 12:11
He's a right bundle of joy, eh? The HA sufferers worst nightmare!

KayeS
16-11-15, 12:14
Tell me about it... 1-2 hour wait it says... Wish I'd eaten before leaving now lol

pulisa
16-11-15, 12:34
I don't know why you're having an x ray either. Probably best to prepare for an "inconclusive" result? You'll have to think about whether you really want to shell out for an MRI-are they really only £250? First things first though and the x ray...Hope the wait isn't too bad-it'll be better than prepping for the colonoscopy!

KayeS
16-11-15, 12:41
I don't know why you're having an x ray either. Probably best to prepare for an "inconclusive" result? You'll have to think about whether you really want to shell out for an MRI-are they really only £250? First things first though and the x ray...Hope the wait isn't too bad-it'll be better than prepping for the colonoscopy!

How come you think it will be inconclusive? And I'd happily wait all day rather than prep for a colonoscopy again LOL

pulisa
16-11-15, 13:21
Because x rays are fairly limited in what they show up and you may get a general "wear and tear" diagnosis which most of the population have anyway. Having said this, I hope that it pinpoints the problem and then you can move on.

KayeS
16-11-15, 14:28
Had the X-ray... the radiographer there said that she couldn't see anything urgent and to go back to my GP in 10 days... Blood test results don't even take that long!

Anyway I was pretty sure nothing would show up on the X-ray anyway as I know I haven't broken the bone... Got prescribed some Co-codamol for the pain by my GP... last time I had that I felt floaty so I might just enjoy that for the rest of the day LOL

pulisa
16-11-15, 17:12
Nothing like a bit of codeine on a one-off basis for anxiety management (if you've been prescribed it anyway) May give you constipation though!

KayeS
16-11-15, 18:31
Nothing like a bit of codeine on a one-off basis for anxiety management (if you've been prescribed it anyway) May give you constipation though!

I've been given quite a low dosage I think... Should be ok. I took it a few years ago when I got chickenpox at the age of 27... just my luck eh? Lol

---------- Post added at 18:31 ---------- Previous post was at 18:20 ----------

Also I have just booked an appointment tomorrow afternoon with a different Chiropractor after reading some old posts on here from people who had Coccyx pain, and visited a Chiropractor who did some manipulations and really helped with their pain. The guy I've been going to has not manipulated anything and has just requested that I do some exercises... I feel like I need a second opinion on this. Also this particular place do their own X-rays as well although I don't think I fancy another dose of radiation in the same area....

Bl59
06-03-20, 12:43
I know this is post is old but did your tailbone pain resolve itself? I am experiencing the same pain and my HA which has been under control with medication for the last few years has resurfaced.