PDA

View Full Version : Some thoughts about lymph nodes

Linusfy
15-11-15, 19:43
Hi, I've been around here for months since my HA started. My main anxiety is about lymph nodes. Since now my nodes went down completely, I wanna share some thoughts about them. The following is my story:

My anxiety started when I found my lymph nodes in the left side of my neck get swollen. I went to see the doctor, and he referred me to an ultrasound, since he is super cautious. The report went back suspicious. I even tried to google what those alarming words meant in the report. Of course, I was terrified. Then, I did another CT scan requested by my doctor. I saw the report before went to my doctor. Obviously, I was frightened again. At the time, I was basically convinced I got lymphoma. But, guess what? After seeing the reports, my doctor said I was fine, and put me on amoxicillin. I said to him that I believe those reports are bad, and there must be some C word going on. He said, what? No, I didn't find anything wrong. I said, but the report found the suspicious. He simply said that radiologists are usually super cautious, and don't want to miss anything. Besides, just one bad word in the report can't diagnose you with C. That's what he told me. He warned me don't ever play around those nodes, or you never expect them to get down. Today, I found my nodes totally went down, and got a huge relief.

Through this, I wanna share some thoughts.

1. Swollen lymph nodes are not a disease, but a symptom. So there are possibly thousands way to make them swollen. For me, it was my toothache. Besides,

2. If you still want them to go down, stop playing with them. I mean, you could try to feel them once or twice in a month. Most of the time, it's better to leave them alone and let them heal quietly. By the way, those nodes are measured in cm. can you really tell by hand if they gets bigger? If you are that accurate, why do we need ultrasound?

3. Once you found your nodes get swollen , get them checked by a cautious doctor, and then don't worry about them. Trust the doctor.

I know my words are easier said than done. I myself suffered a lot of anxiety because of these nodes. However, these thoughts are really something I learned.

TheMadOladCoger
15-11-15, 19:52
Hello,

I am glad that your Lymph Nodes have completely gone down that is great news!

I have a Lymph Nodes obsession they pop up I have a few in my neck right now and I just mess with them about 5-10 times a day. I know I shouldn't and I am trying to stop. I saw my Doctor about mine he is a nice man and as far as I can tell a good Doctor he doesn't dismiss me and always tells me if he things things or okay or not. He isn't worried about my Lymph Nodes he said they haven't grown since he first saw me but if I want them to go down I do know I need to stop messing.

I will try and take your words to heart and stop messing as I would also like my Lymph Nodes to go down.

Thanks for posting this.

Peace

Linusfy
15-11-15, 20:15
I believe the no 1 rule to make your nodes better is don't touch them! Just like you, I did try very hard to leave them alone. Every time I really wanted to touch them, I said to myself what's the point? Are you really able to tell if they get bigger or not? Are you really able to tell if they get more dangerous? I even can't tell if they get smaller. So what's the point? Besides, every time I touched them, even just slightest, my anxiety got worse! I told myself I couldn't get ANYTHING good out of touching them. I knew they were there. I knew they weren't getting bigger by looking them in the mirror. That's all I can do. Actually, it's your doctors job to watch them, not you! The only way to accurately tell if they get bigger is ultrasound. If your doctor didn't mention when you should come back for the follow up, then it simply means he doesn't think there is anything wrong with you. But, the ugly truth is they don't want to guarantee anything, so they said if they get bigger.....

By the way, it took them 2 months to go down.

---------- Post added at 15:15 ---------- Previous post was at 15:03 ----------

Another thing I learned is that diagnosis is a very very very very complicated thing! It took a doctor almost 20 years to really leant how to diagnose people with some disease.

When I tried to make sense of those alarming words in the reports, I didn't just google them and entered some random sites. Actually, I tried to read many medical papers. I even tried to read some medical books to learn what should a normal lymph node look like, and what should a bad node look like. I have no idea how many papers I read those days, and finally I was deeply convinced I got C. I even said to my wife that if my CT result was good then I will eat my poop (I am kidding!). And you know what? My doctor said the report was pretty good even if those bad words are there. It turns out I have to eat my poop lol.

Just one word: never self-diagnose. This business is way too complicated for any one who didn't have any medical training to do. I tried to be a medical student and did the research (actually, I am a PhD student in mathematics). I failed.

TheMadOladCoger
15-11-15, 21:13
Thank you for that, reading what you just wrote made me feel quite commutable with my Lymph Nodes. I too started to read Medical Books to tryand really get to the root of my Lymph Nodes but like you I failed I am not quite a PhD student but I am currently a student I am not amazingly smart I am above average intelligence as I believe a lot of people that suffer from things like HA are. I think thats our downfall to a point, we try to reason our way through things that why we look symptoms up to get a better understanding of what we think we have. However, without the years of education we don't have the training or really any idea what we are doing well I know that I don't. I have spent hours looking things up and have never been correct with anything besides cold's/flu's things that you know as we all get them every now and then.

Again thanks for this post I can relate with it on many different levels and you right about telling if they have grown or not I have no idea I don't know why is still feel them every day.

Peace

---------- Post added at 21:13 ---------- Previous post was at 21:10 ----------

I also remember what something my Doctor said to me once about things like this "some people try and find the answers and fall in to a pit like you have, others just don't worry about it and get it checked out by Doctors and move on without every looking back" He also loves to use the line "Ignorance is bliss" and when it comes to things like this the less you know at points the better.

Linusfy
15-11-15, 22:18
Your doctors words are really full of wisdom. Once a doctor said similar words to me that it's doctors job to catch those bad diseases not us. However, my irrational mind just can't digest this wisdom and keep torturing myself.

Although my lymph nodes got down completely, my HA basically becomes some GAD like cancer-phobia. It sucks.