PDA

View Full Version : Big bump in the road

rachelkookoo
18-11-15, 10:38
In January in due to move from Ireland to the uk to pursue a masters. I'm super nervous about leaving for another country, my boyfriend and family are both staying in Ireland.

Today I was supposed to fly to the university for an induction day. It wasn't mandatory but I really wanted to go and meet everyone. I was actually supposed to fly yesterday but my flight got cancelled and re booked for this morning. I spent the whole night in a fit of panic and eventually made the decision not to go today.

I just feel like I'm after failing myself, I gave into my anxiety and avoided the very thing I was afraid of. I just felt travelling to abs from Ireland all in one day was totally over whelming.

Now I'm beginning to think I won't be able to cope over there come January at all.

Advice is appreciated, thank you.

rachelkookoo
19-11-15, 19:07
Any advice or support appreciated!!

ana
19-11-15, 20:00
Hello there,

separation anxiety is very common, and what you are experiencing is perfectly normal and to be expected, even. You're nervous about the big change which is moving to another country, so please don't beat yourself up over it. You are under pressure at the moment, but feeling guilty about 'giving in to anxiety' isn't going to make you feel any better now, is it? :)

I've been suffering from panic attacks for 15 years now, and I can tell you that what you are doing is very brave. I haven't gone abroad since my anxiety attacks started, and I wish I could, but agoraphobia still has its ugly grip on me.

Perhaps you can start intellectualising your fears like so: 'What's the worst that can happen to me? Why would ____ happening be so bad, and if it was to happen, how would I fix it? What's my plan b?'

The most important thing to remember is that you are not going to go mad, you are not going to die, you are perfectly capable of moving to the UK, and deep down, you know all these things. Have faith in yourself, and know that, even though you may not think that you do, you do have control over your thoughts and feelings. :)

I wish you the very best of luck! x

freshy666
20-11-15, 13:46
About 10 years ago I came to Europe (from North America) for a 2 month trip. For the first week I had the worst anxiety I had ever experienced up until that point in my life, and I had no idea why (only now after reading more about it I learned that is was separation anxiety). I stuck it out and it somehow passed. The remaining time on my trip was absolutely amazing and I had the time of my life! So just keep that in mind...it will pass (if it even happens at all), and there is a great chance that you will have an amazing time!!! Good luck :D