PDA

View Full Version : Terrorism really affecting me

teaandtoast
18-11-15, 20:48
I apologise, I know there's a similar thread posted recently but I really don't know what to do.

I've always had fears of things like terrorism, end of the world predictions, war, illnesses, bad weather, etc. The events of the past week or so have absolutely petrified me. Not only is there the obvious Paris attacks, but then Gatwick Airport was evacuated due to a gun being found, a football match in Germany was cancelled because the security services had intelligence that it was going to be bombed, the raids in Paris this morning, etc. And the fact that IS have said that London, Washington DC and Rome are next. They also said that this is only the beginning.

I am constantly in a state of panic. Something very bad is going to happen, I have an intuitive feeling. I'm going to be caught up in an attack. I'm going to London just before Christmas and god, I don't know how to cope. It's not an option to cancel because I'm going with people who are very much of the view that we have to carry on as normal. I know that something is going to happen then and we're going to be caught up in it, we're going to be travelling on trains, the tube, going to large scale public events, etc... All things which will be targets.

I feel like I'm losing my mind, I am suicidal because I am of the view that I would rather die by my own hand rather than by somebody else's. I cannot focus on anything else. I don't understand how people can carry on as normal when I am constantly panicked. I am so so so so scared and I don't see how it can get any better.

I am seeing both my therapist and psychiatrist tomorrow and I don't know what to tell them - I am always dismissed and never taken seriously but I feel like I'm genuinely losing it and I'm scared I'm going to do something stupid :(

MyNameIsTerry
19-11-15, 05:03
I think a therapist should understand this. If not, they are going to struggle with the basics given people without anxiety disorders always have anxiety over events like this so it bound to cause increased anxiety in your scenario. It's actually rational to feel like this over your scenario as would many other people travelling into capitals would. It would be irrational if you live in the Midlands like me in a low risk city with no plans to travel to a higher risk area.

People carry on because they just don't see things the same way. There are far more likely possible causes of death than by a terrorist act but we aren't bothered by them. So, life goes on or you would need to never leave your house so you could attempt to control your environment.

That feeling you have is your anxiety making you think about a possible risk scenario, it's what fight or flight is supposed to do. But in your case your reaction is stronger and your natural ways to dismiss the threat aren't working as well because of the nature of the disorder.

I would suggest telling them all about your trip and I can't believe how any other human being, let alone mental health professional, wouldn't understand that anyone would be concerned.

Also, make sure you tell them how this is affecting you and about feeling suicidal. If you feel you could harm yourself in any way, please contact someone immediately even if it's The Samaritans, or 111.

freshy666
19-11-15, 15:16
Hi. I can absolutely 100% relate to you at this very moment. I have had general anxiety all my life, with it reaching very extreme points due to specific personal events. But now it has reached a new high with all this terrorism going on. I live not far from Brussels, so the Paris attacks really hit home. It has elevated me to an unbelievable state of panic/anxiousness. I went to the doctor yesterday and got some meds, and will go to the therapist on Friday.

What has (sort of) helped me is to avoid the news or even facebook. Reading anything, whether true or a conspiracy theory, immediately triggers me. My partner can't handle my anxiety at the moment because he has his own deep depression to deal with (yeah, it's a bit of a toxic environment here at home at the moment!), so I can't really talk to him about it. I find that reading about other people helps a little, so I thank you for making a post ;-) And you so brave to face your fears head on and go to London! Bravo to you.

All the best.

jimsmrs
19-11-15, 15:16
I'm old enough to remember the IRA terrorism years back. I'm originally from Liverpool although I now live in Scotland. Manchester and Warrington were bombed at on point, Manchester bombing was the Arndale Shopping Centre. Your anxiety is feeding off what you're seeing on the news and what's in the papers, a lot of their threats are propaganda

MynameisTerry is right. Explain your thoughts and feelings to your therapist and I think the UK is well prepared.
A seaside town up here, Dunbar, had an incident last Sunday night when a suspicious suitcase had been left unattended outside an Indian take-away. Police and Bomb disposal units sent in the robot and it was inspected, it was just a random suitcase.