PDA

View Full Version : Hello!

GeorgiaC93
19-11-15, 07:02
Hi guys

My name is Georgia. I'm 21.

I just wanted to share a little bit about myself and my own experience with anxiety.

A few years back I was diagnosed with GAD. I started to see that anxiety had been a constant in my life throughout my childhood. I just put it down to being a bit of a worrier.

I remember being one of those kids who took things literally even when people were being metaphorical.

Although I'd always been known for worrying and looking back I remember having panic attacks as a young child, I didn't have my first period of very high anxiety until a few years back. I was sick almost all the time, couldn't sleep or relax, cried non-stop and just felt unwell. That's when my GP diagnosed GAD and I was actually taking amitriptyline for some time which helped me to sleep and, therefore, eased my anxiety. That also meant I got back on track with my college work.

In mid-2013, I lost my younger brother and my best friend. It's been so hard and I still don't believe he is gone.

Grief and anxiety are very similar.

My anxiety did increase a lot after I lost my brother.

I had a LOT of panic attacks. I think my brain just couldn't function properly.

I've actually been using this forum to help me with my anxiety for a long time. I just always forgot to create an account.

It's been really helpful hearing other people's stories and how they have overcome their anxiety.

I was very happy with myself because I had 'overcome' anxiety by using various techniques such as mindfulness meditation and reading self-help books.

But I think my anxiety just morphed into another form as I have formed some OCD type traits without really realizing (I believe these are part of the anxiety)

I'm hoping joining this site will help me to have less anxiety and gain advice for techniques people find helpful.

Thank you for reading :)

Georgia

venusbluejeans
19-11-15, 07:11
Hiya GeorgiaC93 and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

GeorgiaC93
19-11-15, 07:13
Thank you so much for your reply venusbluejeans :)

I will make sure to check out the articles as I'm sure they have some great info!

Thank you again!

Linda 10
19-11-15, 08:14
Hello Georgia yes I can relate 2 that I also suffered with panic as a child did not have a good child hood my mother used 2 threaten us if we did any thing wrong wait till dad gets home he was nasty mam so would sit in a panic just waiting 4wot we got I also used 2 panic at school if in lessons the then her would ask me to read out loud so when I look back I think my panic started at home from my parents take care. Linda10

GeorgiaC93
19-11-15, 08:20
Hi Linda 10

Thanks for your reply.

I'm sorry to hear about your childhood. It must have made you worry a lot that you'd get in trouble.

I hope things get easier and better for you with your anxiety.

If you ever need someone to talk to just message me!

Take care,
Georgia