PDA

View Full Version : Quick acting anxiety relievers

ADW
22-11-15, 10:58
Hi, i'm been on citalopram 30mg since July and when i had my initial breakdown i was put on diazepam to calm this but obviously this should not be a long term drug due to it's addictive nature but it really helped. I was put on propanolol long term but i feel like i don't have so much of a problem with my heart rate now and i don't get palpitations anymore.
But i still get periods where i have high levels of anxiety, i get a tightness in my throat sometimes and all the usual symptoms, i was just wondering if there were any other fast acting medications i could take to improve the anxiety when i experience high levels like this at times.

ricardo
22-11-15, 11:07
I just answered a very similar question on another thread.

Diazepam, Xanax and Ativan (lorazepam ) are all quick acting, about 30 minutes but as you say are addictive and many doctors are reluctant to prescribe some or all of them.

Propanolol did nothing for me personally dfor anxiety, but then again we are all different.

MyNameIsTerry
22-11-15, 11:23
To get that quick response you are talking about using meds that work with GABA receptors hence it's all benzo's are ricardo says.

I've seen some talk on the Pregabalin board about someone who used it "as and when" as opposed to continously on his doctor's advice but you would have to ask them what they think about this as there are some knowledgable people on here about Preg. It's expensive though and they won't even prescribe it in Bucks if you are there due to cost.

ricardo
22-11-15, 11:37
Pregablin won't help anxiety nor blood pressure for a quick fix. I use it purely for nerve pain but then again it was originally intended for epilepsy, so who knows.

pulisa
22-11-15, 11:49
A general anaesthetic works for me....

MyNameIsTerry
22-11-15, 11:51
Pregablin won't help anxiety nor blood pressure for a quick fix. I use it purely for nerve pain but then again it was originally intended for epilepsy, so who knows.

I think thats what hanshan was saying and it's pretty obvious it has start up side effects too but this guy had been told to use it that way. No idea what happened from there though.

MrAndy
22-11-15, 12:00
Olanzapine it works straight away and helped me when I was really ill,it makes you very fat though

ricardo
22-11-15, 12:02
Olanzapine it works straight away and helped me when I was really ill,it makes you very fat though

so does Lyrica I am afraid, at least in my case.in fact I found it the worst of the lot for gaining weight.

pulisa
22-11-15, 12:30
It shouldn't come down to either unacceptable weight gain or unbearable anxiety? When will we have an effective, non-addictive, non weight-gaining anti-anxiety medication? Surely it's not that much to ask?

jimsmrs
22-11-15, 13:13
I think they should invent an anti-depressant patch!! like a nicotine or HRT patch

MrAndy
22-11-15, 14:22
I think they should invent an anti-depressant patch!! like a nicotine or HRT patch
Zydis is similar and is the drug in wafer form that dissolves on your tongue it is supposed to have less side effects and neutral for weight gain.They won't prescribe it though because its very expensive Who says the patient comes first

MyNameIsTerry
23-11-15, 07:01

As long as we don't have to put them on ours heads...it would be like those Wacaday plasters Timmy Malllet slapped on those poor kids :D before bludgeoning them with his hammer :roflmao:

ricardo
23-11-15, 11:43

That is actually a very good idea as there are also patches instead of pills for certain urinary problems usually a weak bladder.

hanshan
23-11-15, 12:20
I suspect researchers don't really want to produce a new quick-acting anxiety medication, as it would almost certainly be habit-forming and there would be great pressure to limit its prescription.

They would have to show that it only had an effect on people with anxiety, and zero effect on anyone else.

Generally, the focus seems to be on slow-acting drugs, so that there is a disconnect between taking the med and the ultimate effect.