PDA

View Full Version : Intense anxiety for no reason

Ssmith
22-11-15, 19:29
Hi guys,

How do you control intense anxiety that lasts all day and you have it for no reason? I feel so on edge, restless legs, extremely tired, hot cheeks, extremely sensitive to things and my brain generally feels weird. Like numb. I don't want to be left on my own and I'm struggling to do any task. I can't control the anxiety no matter what i do. How can i manage it? It's really disturbing me and i keep thinking something is happening to my body for this to be occurring

agnes
22-11-15, 19:40
It's horrible. I'm feeling like that now. What I'm trying is to not let my thoughts lead me into worst case scenarios. It's not easy to do because it's unfamiliar but I have to try something. Also trying to calm my breathing.

Sorry I can't be of more help but, like you, I'm struggling and have been most of the day

ADW
22-11-15, 19:47
I have this today it's horrible. Try distracting yourself with something like an activity or online game or tv programme. Feel better soon

agnes
22-11-15, 20:10
Well, that's three of us struggling! Wishing you both, and myself, well

---------- Post added at 20:10 ---------- Previous post was at 19:58 ----------

Just another thought. I've been reading the Dare book over the past couple of weeks. It has occurred to me that the struggle I put up against the anxiety is possibly making it worse. I can feel every part of myself tensing against the sensations and the thoughts. Dare talks about allowing the fear. Easier said than done but it seems to make sense.

shirlp
22-11-15, 22:50
I've had a migraine for a couple of days, with horrible anxiety to go with it. Now my heart is racing and I'm trying to ignore it. I hate this.

swgrl09
23-11-15, 00:08
I agree with agnes, allowing the fear. Ride the wave of the anxiety. The more you push it away, the more it pushes back. Recognize the anxiety, acknowledge it, and remember it is temporary and will not kill you. It will pass.

Ssmith
23-11-15, 18:35
I posted about a month ago how, 1 month into taking prozac, my anxiety was the worst i had ever experienced and i literally thought i was going crazy. I came straight off the prozac and went on to citalopram which is the first ever medication i was on with no ill effects. I had been doing better at first, able to get out and about but I'm just over a month into the meds again and the intense anxiety is back. Could it be the SSRI's although apart from these last few months, I've never had a reaction to SSRI's like this before

GingerFish
24-11-15, 09:02
I hate when my anxiety reaches this stage. I've had days like this quite a lot recently as I haven't been dealing with stress there and then and it just builds and builds and becomes overbearing anxiety and panic attacks. When I reach this stage, I have to remind myself that its 'me time' now, nothing else matters. I have to think of me and I pretty much mother myself for the next day or 2 or to whenever I feel better again. So I go for a walk, even just a ten min walk around the block, I go for a long bath, I make sure I eat even if I don't have an appetite, try to sleep as best I can and most importantly, I am open about how I feel, whether that is to my mum, partner or even on a forum like this. Keeping your anxiety in, only adds more fuel to the fire and makes it stronger, at least it does for me. I also listen to my Claire Weekes tapes and read the books and they remind me I am only in a setback and a few days of TLC and acceptance will get me back on track again.

shirlp
25-11-15, 00:56
Ivd been feeling crap with anxiety too.. Started with a headache last Thurs night.. Headache keeps changing. Eg pain in different places.. At the minute it feels like something heavy is on my head, and painful over the top and my neck scared stiff as I feel like my head is going to explode.. So constant anxiety..

Fishmanpa
25-11-15, 01:48
Think of your anxiety as a campfire. While your in a spiral, it's like you're roasting marshmallows. Eventually the flames die down but a bed of hot coals remain. All it takes is a little fuel and it's burning bright again.

So, you may think you're not anxious or there's no reason for intense anxiety but the flames have never really gone out. It takes a long time for the anxious physiology to return to normal and any little spark gets the flames going again prolonging the embers.

Positive thoughts

Movielife
25-11-15, 13:00
Think of your anxiety as a campfire. While your in a spiral, it's like you're roasting marshmallows. Eventually the flames die down but a bed of hot coals remain. All it takes is a little fuel and it's burning bright again.

So, you may think you're not anxious or there's no reason for intense anxiety but the flames have never really gone out. It takes a long time for the anxious physiology to return to normal and any little spark gets the flames going again prolonging the embers.

Positive thoughts

An excellent way to describe anxiety. Thanks.

Ssmith
25-11-15, 16:31
Could this explain why i keep relapsing over and over again over 3 years? I've never devoted my time to therapy so when i start to feel better, i try a lot less harder at getting better because i feel like i'm getting there

MyNameIsTerry
26-11-15, 04:50
Recovering from anxiety is all about putting the work in to get you to a much better place and then keeping healthy behaviours in place (and using tools to prevent negative thinking styles) to ensure relapse prevention.

If you plough through the bad periods and then don't keep going through the good ones until you are sure you are much better, I think relapse is inevitable when something happens that triggers you.

I get stuck in ruts all the time and what I have learned quite painfully is that they keep you trapped but can also allow those unhealthy behaviours to start again and things slide.