PDA

View Full Version : Anxietyis back

apm
22-11-15, 21:11
Hi all,

I had GAD last year, quite bad. I was diagnosed, and prescribed citalopram. Once up to the full dose (20mg) and I had got past the dip that goes with first taking these, my anxiety pretty much disappeared. I came off the tablets in the summer (without any trouble, actually).

The anxiety has come back in the last couple of days, starting with inability to sleep, coming with anxious feelings that come and go agitation and just feeling edgy and unable to settle.

Is this likely to pass, or should I be getting back on the pills (get the nasty dip out of the way), or wait it out? Any experience welcome!

Thanks,

Alex.

apm
23-11-15, 06:59
So last night I took some Zopiclone, but it didn't work! I snatched an odd half an hour here and there, but the long uninterrupted sleep didn't come!:wacko:

Tired an a bit spaced out today- anyone else had this? I think I may not have helped insofar as I did have a bit of a panic after I'd taken it, hypothesising what would happen if it didn't work?? :scared15:

Any help appreciated!

Alex.

ADW
23-11-15, 07:45
So sorry you're having a bad time at the moment. Is there By thing you can pinpoint that may have triggered this new episode or anything in your life that's changed? Even the most subtle of changes can set mine off.

apm
23-11-15, 20:42
Thanks ADW. Last time I was contending with a very difficult boss, and needing to find a new job, pretty clear triggers!! This time my job is secure, and my boss is great (in fact, I will be going for a promotion in March). I am working on a very demanding project, which is really sapping my energy and has had very difficult moments.

What I don't know is if this is really just a blip, or return of the anxiety proper. The anxiety is not as bad, but my sleep is poor. I guess I will give it a couple more days and hope it starts to fade. It's on my mind that if I need to go back on the Citalopram, there's quite a long lead time of feeling crap before it gets better, and that would coincide with Christmas! Fingers crossed...

ADW
23-11-15, 20:45
God yes, citalopram side effects are awful when starting! Your poor sleep is going to make the anxiety worse as well...its a trap isn't it. Anxiety causes lack of sleep, lack of sleep makes anxiety worse. Look after yourself, hopefully it us just a little set back.

apm
23-11-15, 21:01
Thanks for coming back. Hoping so too! :D

SeaJay
23-11-15, 21:20
Hi all,

I had GAD last year, quite bad. I was diagnosed, and prescribed citalopram. Once up to the full dose (20mg) and I had got past the dip that goes with first taking these, my anxiety pretty much disappeared. I came off the tablets in the summer (without any trouble, actually).

The anxiety has come back in the last couple of days, starting with inability to sleep, coming with anxious feelings that come and go agitation and just feeling edgy and unable to settle.

Is this likely to pass, or should I be getting back on the pills (get the nasty dip out of the way), or wait it out? Any experience welcome!

Thanks,

Alex.
Looks like Citalopram worked for you last time, albeit you had to soldier on through the initial low spot. My advice when it comes to taking meds would be to go and see your GP and see what they say. Tell them how you felt last time, what you think pulled you out of the low period, and perhaps it's then just a case of replicating the parts that pulled you through last time.

Hope you're feeling better soon

apm
24-11-15, 08:50
Thanks SeaJay.

The Zopiclone did its job last night, so I feel much less tired today. Still a background gnawing of anxiety is there, but not as bad as it was! I did have an argument with my wife yesterday- she is normally very supportive, but last night just got frustrated with me, I think. All fine now, but has left me feeling a bit low.

I will book to see my GP next week, and talk through options. If I can get away without going back on Citalopram, that would be great (to avoid those nasty side effects), but I do know that worst case scenario, they will pass and I will stabilise and be anxiety free before too long.

Your support (all) is very much appreciated!

SeaJay
24-11-15, 08:59
Thanks SeaJay.

The Zopiclone did its job last night, so I feel much less tired today. Still a background gnawing of anxiety is there, but not as bad as it was! I did have an argument with my wife yesterday- she is normally very supportive, but last night just got frustrated with me, I think. All fine now, but has left me feeling a bit low.

I will book to see my GP next week, and talk through options. If I can get away without going back on Citalopram, that would be great (to avoid those nasty side effects), but I do know that worst case scenario, they will pass and I will stabilise and be anxiety free before too long.

Your support (all) is very much appreciated!
Never ever underestimate the power of just talking to others. A problem shared is a problem halved.

It's understandable that loved ones might get frustrated with you from time to time. We are all human after all and they're only getting frustrated because they care for you and hate to see you feeling low - they want you to get better but sometimes they can feel powerless to do much about it. That's why I say talk talk talk. Talk to them about 'talking to them'. Explain to them that sometimes you feel you need to offload and explain how you're feeling. Above all though, in my experience, loved ones get frustrated because they sometimes don't know what to say. Let them know they don't have to say anything. Sympathy and empathy from loved ones, an arm around the shoulder even, sometimes that's all it takes to lift 'everyone's' mood.

Ask your GP that you'd like to see a therapist. There's quite a long waiting list but hey, what have you got to lose? Tell them to stick your name down on the list and you'll have that to look toward as well. Won't cost you anything.

Me, I'm paying to see a Psychologist privately. It's expensive, but then, what price your health? Do internet searches for therapists in your area and check out what they charge. Way I look at it, I've wasted so much money on frivolous things over the years that the money I pay to the psychologist is well worth it.

apm
25-11-15, 16:58
Thanks Seajay, kind and wise words. I did a course of CBT this year, although by the time I did it, I was better! It has taught me some ways to deal with worry, but not how to deal with the anxiety when it's here. I am due to do a CBT mindfulness course in January, which I hope will help.

I took some Zopiclone last night (7.5mg), and had a quite disturbed night- lots of weird and unpleasant dreams when I did sleep (which wasn't alot). Feel tired and pretty anxious today- it seems to have ramped up this afternoon. I have a call booked with my GP tomorrow, so will explore if she thinks I need to get back in the Citalopram to get myself back on the straight and narrow, despite the nasty start that will have.

Onward!

SeaJay
25-11-15, 18:13
Thanks Seajay, kind and wise words. I did a course of CBT this year, although by the time I did it, I was better! It has taught me some ways to deal with worry, but not how to deal with the anxiety when it's here. I am due to do a CBT mindfulness course in January, which I hope will help.

I took some Zopiclone last night (7.5mg), and had a quite disturbed night- lots of weird and unpleasant dreams when I did sleep (which wasn't alot). Feel tired and pretty anxious today- it seems to have ramped up this afternoon. I have a call booked with my GP tomorrow, so will explore if she thinks I need to get back in the Citalopram to get myself back on the straight and narrow, despite the nasty start that will have.

Onward!
Onward, exactly.

The best way I've learned to deal with anxiety when it's currently on you, is to just ride it out. That feeling of dread, horrendous mind numbing "can't think straight" dread, will go away eventually. On it's own mostly, but double quick if you practice some deep breathing. It goes on its own because it's biologically impossible for the human body to maintain those levels of anxiety. They run out and wind down.

That's why some people feel worse in the mornings (I know I do). It's because during the night time when you sleep, your Cortisol chemicals are building up in your body. Cortisol is what helps us survive because it fuels the flight or fight mode we all have. It's handy for survival, but if you have anxiety, you tend to have more of it (which I guess is why they say exercise is good for you...it burns the Cortisol up). Sorry, bit of a ramble that but it's kind of relevant.

I can see how fatigue might make anxiety worse because you are just plain old tired on top of it. You could ask your Dr about Mirtazapine. I have 99 problems to do with anxiety but thankfully, sleep isn't one of them. I honestly sleep like a baby. Might work for you too. No harm in asking.

As for meditation, that too will help. It stills the turbulent mind and the more you practice (and it takes practice), the more relaxed you'll become.

As you say, onward!

apm
26-11-15, 19:57
Thanks again.

I'm back on the Citalopram, 10mg for a week, then up to the usual 20mg. GP thinks that it's best to kick off straight away, as I need to not be using the Zopiclone, and this will help. May be some tricky days ahead, but at least I know the journey I will be on as I've been there before.

I mentioned the Mitrazapine, but the GP said it's normally the second line of meds after Cit, and they use it when that doesn't work so well.

Feel a bit twitchy, and not sure whether to take Z tonight, but I'll truck on through.

Thanks for your support.

SeaJay
26-11-15, 20:19
Thanks again.

I'm back on the Citalopram, 10mg for a week, then up to the usual 20mg. GP thinks that it's best to kick off straight away, as I need to not be using the Zopiclone, and this will help. May be some tricky days ahead, but at least I know the journey I will be on as I've been there before.

I mentioned the Mitrazapine, but the GP said it's normally the second line of meds after Cit, and they use it when that doesn't work so well.

Feel a bit twitchy, and not sure whether to take Z tonight, but I'll truck on through.

Thanks for your support.
Twitchy comes with the territory with us anxious types :)

Hang in there, let the meds do their bit, and see how you feel

emmalami
28-11-15, 13:53
Did the Citalopram work the second time round?

apm
29-11-15, 08:53
Hi Emmalami,

I have no reason to think it won't. I've been on less than a week, but the pattern is similar to last time. Which means I have a tough couple of weeks, but then I will be anxiety free!

---------- Post added at 08:53 ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 ----------

SeaJay,

Thanks again for your support. Not a great night, but I'm on a journey, and the destination is a good one. Keep remembering!

SeaJay
29-11-15, 09:16
Hi Emmalami,

I have no reason to think it won't. I've been on less than a week, but the pattern is similar to last time. Which means I have a tough couple of weeks, but then I will be anxiety free!

---------- Post added at 08:53 ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 ----------

SeaJay,

Thanks again for your support. Not a great night, but I'm on a journey, and the destination is a good one. Keep remembering!
:hugs:

apm
01-12-15, 08:12
Poor sleep again last night. I am finding the Zopiclone work really well, but I am totally paranoid about becoming addicted to them! My sleep tends to be fragile, and the first thing I lose, so I don't want to do anything that will compromise it. But I feel really awful when I don't sleep! Dilemma.. For info, I take the Z every other night or less, been doing so for 2 weeks on friday.

SeaJay
01-12-15, 08:52
Poor sleep again last night. I am finding the Zopiclone work really well, but I am totally paranoid about becoming addicted to them! My sleep tends to be fragile, and the first thing I lose, so I don't want to do anything that will compromise it. But I feel really awful when I don't sleep! Dilemma.. For info, I take the Z every other night or less, been doing so for 2 weeks on friday.
Worst case scenario is you get addicted to your medication. But that's only a problem when you start coming off them isn't it? And, if/when you do come off them, the Dr will advise you on how to come off them.

My point, is that the meds I have taken for anxiety (Dothiapen, Mirtazapine) are addictive. I'm currently taking Mirtazapine, and no doubt I'm addicted to them. Meaning, I can't just wake up one day and think, "Ok, I'm not taking them again."

Few years ago I was taking Dothiapen, and yes, I was addicted to them too. So, when they changed me over to Mirtazapine, I had to lower the dosage (of Dothiapen) before starting to take the Mirtazapine. The addiction part to me at least, means if I just 'stop' taking them suddenly, I'll have some sort of withdrawal symptoms, and of course my issues will come back (if they haven't been resolved).

At least that's what I think you mean by addiction. If by addiction you mean becoming bodily dependent on them to the point you get shakes and can't function properly, and desperately need more and more - even though you've never stopped taking them, I extremely doubt that's what will happen. I'm convinced they wouldn't administer the medication if that was the case, and they'd take it off the market.

Again though, I'm just some random person posting on the internet, so the best advice I can give is to go and see your GP and explain to them your fears about addiction.

apm
02-12-15, 06:52
Thanks SeaJay. I am reassured by my pharmacist (who is great), that my insomnia is caused by the anxiety, so when the latter is under control, the former will disappear. That is also what happened last time!

Yesterday was a bad day, high anxiety all day, and I've not even upped the dose on the Cit... potentially rough times ahead before it gets better.

How do you find the mirtazapine?

Thanks again,

Alex.

SeaJay
02-12-15, 07:33
To be honest, the Mirtazapin only helps me at night time where it relaxes me and makes me drowsy enough to sleep.

In the day time I don't take medication but that all might change soon as I'm waiting to see a psychiatrist. It'll be the first time I've taken meds in the day so I'm not sure how that will go.

apm
02-12-15, 10:41
Hope that goes ok for you!:)

SeaJay
02-12-15, 10:51
Hope that goes ok for you!:)
Thank you :)

apm
02-12-15, 16:32
Just in case anyone is worried about Zopiclone, this is most informative:

http://www.medsafe.govt.nz/profs/puarticles/3.htm

apm
04-12-15, 11:16
Felt like a zombie yesterday after almost no sleep at all! Amazing though how you can function still- I managed to teach a day-long session on change management, and drive to and from Essex and Kent. Took Zopiclone last night, and slept like a log until 0400, then feeling anxious and coudn't sleep. Paranoia kicking in that the Z is stopping working, but I know that's not the case as I was out like a light. I did manage to get some more sleep later on in the morning. Only about 45 minutes, but it felt great, as it felt natural! Possibility that this is the corner I'm turning? I'm only on day 3 of the 20mg dose of Cit, so it's a bit early, but it felt good anyway! No Zopiclone tonight, so hoping for something sleepwise. Will be trying a Nytol as an alternative...

On we go...

SeaJay
04-12-15, 11:25
Felt like a zombie yesterday after almost no sleep at all! Amazing though how you can function still- I managed to teach a day-long session on change management, and drive to and from Essex and Kent. Took Zopiclone last night, and slept like a log until 0400, then feeling anxious and coudn't sleep. Paranoia kicking in that the Z is stopping working, but I know that's not the case as I was out like a light. I did manage to get some more sleep later on in the morning. Only about 45 minutes, but it felt great, as it felt natural! Possibility that this is the corner I'm turning? I'm only on day 3 of the 20mg dose of Cit, so it's a bit early, but it felt good anyway! No Zopiclone tonight, so hoping for something sleepwise. Will be trying a Nytol as an alternative...

On we go...
I went through a patch where I kept waking up around 4am and it was horrid. I just closed my eyes and thankfully drifted off to sleep again. I wouldn't recommend sleeping in the day, at all, because that will mess your body clock up. I was once told no matter how tired you feel in the day - don't fall asleep.

If you're feeling tired in the day though, and you're driving, wind a window down to let cold air in (rain permitting) and stick the radio on - anything to keep you alert at the wheel.

Why aren't you taking Zopiclone every night?

apm
04-12-15, 15:10
Good advice, thanks. I am fairly disciplined at avoiding daytime naps!

There is a risk of dependency with Zopiclone, and I'm trying to minimise that by taking on alternate nights. The risk isn't massive, but I want to do what I can to avoid it. Hopefully, the Cit will stabilised soon, and my normal sleeping patterns will come back, and I can leave them behind.

SeaJay
04-12-15, 15:13
Good advice, thanks. I am fairly disciplined at avoiding daytime naps!

There is a risk of dependency with Zopiclone, and I'm trying to minimise that by taking on alternate nights. The risk isn't massive, but I want to do what I can to avoid it. Hopefully, the Cit will stabilised soon, and my normal sleeping patterns will come back, and I can leave them behind.
Ok. My thinking there, is if the GP said take them every night, then you probably should. If you're still anxious about addiction, have a chat with your GP

apm
04-12-15, 15:58
Thanks. I'm going on a combo of advice from GP and pharmacist (latter has been extremely helpful both this time and last time). I'm going to try nytol tonight as an alternative, see if that can help. I am wary of filling myself with chemicals, but want to ease my journey! I'm trying to strike a balance... I hope that makes sense!

SeaJay
04-12-15, 16:24
It does make sense - and the very best of luck with the Nytol. I hope you sleep well

Let us know how it goes

apm
05-12-15, 07:34
So got about 5 hours on and off with just the nytol. Chuffed to bits! Feels like a breakthrough, a I was really worried about sleeping without the Zopiclone. :D

SeaJay
05-12-15, 08:20
So got about 5 hours on and off with just the nytol. Chuffed to bits! Feels like a breakthrough, a I was really worried about sleeping without the Zopiclone. :D
I'm glad it is working for you :yesyes:

Just don't stop taking the Zopiclone suddenly and totally without chatting to your Dorctor (but you know this anyway) :)

apm
05-12-15, 10:07
Thanks- all good so far! Cit has kicked in now (I take it in the morning), so anxiety is up a bit, but I know to expect that now.

apm
06-12-15, 09:02
Another good night's sleep on the nytol. Will try natural sleep soon. Anxiety was quite bad yesterday, but I know that it's part of the process. I guess there is a llttle disappointment that the A is still bad although the sleep has come back, but I know that it's all stages...

SeaJay
06-12-15, 09:19
Another good night's sleep on the nytol. Will try natural sleep soon. Anxiety was quite bad yesterday, but I know that it's part of the process. I guess there is a llttle disappointment that the A is still bad although the sleep has come back, but I know that it's all stages...
You are trying natural sleep after using Nytol just the once or twice? Isn't that a bit soon? Perhaps you should let the Nytol kick in a bit more. After all, it seems to be working. I guess you could always go back to it if your sleep got interrupting again though.

As for anxiety, seriously, don't underestimate the benefits of 4 or 5 slow deep breaths.

Good luck!

apm
07-12-15, 19:11
Thanks SeaJay. Nytol seems to be working, although not as great last night. I will give it a couple more days, then try without. Anxiety was quite low yesterday, even went out for lunch with friends and had a couple of drinks without any issues. Terrible day at work today really hasn't helped, but feel better now I'm home.

All part of the journey...

SeaJay
07-12-15, 20:26
Thanks SeaJay. Nytol seems to be working, although not as great last night. I will give it a couple more days, then try without. Anxiety was quite low yesterday, even went out for lunch with friends and had a couple of drinks without any issues. Terrible day at work today really hasn't helped, but feel better now I'm home.

All part of the journey...
The worse thing about anxiety (for me at least) is that I can rarely plan more than a few hours ahead at a time. My mood can change so quickly.

I've learned that the low moods do pass though, it's as you say, it's all part of the journey. Sometimes it's difficult to see the light at the end of the tunnel, but it is there.

apm
10-12-15, 11:01
Getting good sleep with the Nytol, really nice and effective. Glad to be off the Zopiclone, certainly. Will be trying with no help tonight, I think, see how that goes. I can always take a Nytol if I need to.

Anxiety levels are certainly down on where they were, I think the Cit side effects are calming down a bit. Some times when I feel almost normal, although it does come and go as you say SeaJay. I seem to be ok when I wake, with a peak about an hour after I take the Cit, and coming and going thoughout the day.

Feels like recovery is progressing though!

Many thanks for your support, SeaJay, it's been really helpful!

SeaJay
10-12-15, 12:30
Getting good sleep with the Nytol, really nice and effective. Glad to be off the Zopiclone, certainly. Will be trying with no help tonight, I think, see how that goes. I can always take a Nytol if I need to.

Anxiety levels are certainly down on where they were, I think the Cit side effects are calming down a bit. Some times when I feel almost normal, although it does come and go as you say SeaJay. I seem to be ok when I wake, with a peak about an hour after I take the Cit, and coming and going thoughout the day.

Feels like recovery is progressing though!

Many thanks for your support, SeaJay, it's been really helpful!
I'm glad your feeling a bit better and glad I could help to some degree

Just remember the low points don't last; just ride them out and keep positive!

I'm seeing a psychiatrist myself this Monday, they're going to give me something to help me lower my anxiety in the day. No idea what they'll administer though; will soon find out I guess :)

apm
10-12-15, 20:32
Cool- very best of luck with that, let me know how you get on.

apm
11-12-15, 07:59
Tried natural sleep last night, no good, very little. Feel spaced out today. Too soon, I think, only a week on Cit after all. Back to Nytol tonight, and a chat with my pharmacist!

SeaJay
11-12-15, 08:07
Tried natural sleep last night, no good, very little. Feel spaced out today. Too soon, I think, only a week on Cit after all. Back to Nytol tonight, and a chat with my pharmacist!
I think you are moving too fast and trying too hard here. Unless I'm mistaken, you've only been on Nytol a few days, about a week? And you've stopped them to try some natural sleep. Understandable, but these things tend to take time I think. Also, because you are speeding along, you're probably speeding along 'and' anxious as well (to some degree). This too will work against you - especially when trying to relax.

Also consider that folk who have very little anxiety some times find it tough to fall asleep and stay asleep. So folk who are anxious (us), will find it doubly difficult and this can still be the case even when we take medication.

I'm going to say something now which will probably make you go mad :D

Just try to relax about the sleep thing

You know that the more you try and fight to go to sleep, the more it can elude you and the more you make sleeping a big issue and focus on it, the more it will elude you.

You say the Nytol was working?

apm
11-12-15, 08:25
Wise words, SeaJay, thank you. I guess I am rushing- I am feeling better, and getting the natural sleep back is another piece of the puzzle. The Nytol is working, and I only took it for 5 days!

I will use one tonight, and get back onto a sensible pathway...

Thanks again,

Alex.

SeaJay
11-12-15, 11:19
Wise words, SeaJay, thank you. I guess I am rushing- I am feeling better, and getting the natural sleep back is another piece of the puzzle. The Nytol is working, and I only took it for 5 days!

I will use one tonight, and get back onto a sensible pathway...

Thanks again,

Alex.
No problem.

For the record, I say I sleep like a baby, but recently I've been waking up at 5:30am the last week. I drop off well enough, and tend to stay asleep, but I keep getting up quite early. It's not so bad though, at least I'm getting around 5 or 6 hours.

I take Mirtazapine 45mg and that makes me drowsy, and that's what gets me to sleep.

If you haven't heard about it, ask your Pharmacist about Saint John's Wort. It's supposed to be a relaxant of sorts, but I do know you're not supposed to take it with certain medication. I believe it's taken to help a person during the day. DON'T take it before asking the Pharmacist if you can take it though

JessicaAdamson
12-12-15, 06:17
My anxiety and depression cause me unable to sleep at night and feeling very tired. CBT help me in getting proper treatment, I am on antidepressants, doing regular exercise, sometimes ambien for better sleep, it works great for me.

SeaJay
12-12-15, 06:27
I can't do much exercise because of my dodgy knee but I agree, exercise is good for you and can benefit the mind as well as the body

apm
12-12-15, 11:11
Had a great sleep with the Nytol. Slept until after 0900! Anxiety is worse today, though. I do find it ramps up a while after I take my Cit. I do remember from last time that it comes and goes (as you say SeaJay).

Got to stay with the journey!

SeaJay
12-12-15, 11:54
Had a great sleep with the Nytol. Slept until after 0900! Anxiety is worse today, though. I do find it ramps up a while after I take my Cit. I do remember from last time that it comes and goes (as you say SeaJay).

Got to stay with the journey!
Absolutely correct that it comes and goes. That's the important part, when I'm anxious I try to remember that no matter how dreadful, that feeling passes eventually.

So your Cit does help you to relax once that anxiety spike you get from it goes away? Perhaps you could ask your GP why you tend to get that spike after taking one of them.

apm
13-12-15, 09:07
I'm still in the early stages of Cit, so I think it's the side effects. Once it's stabilised, the only side effect I get is wierd yawns!
Had a couple of small drinks last night, and got some sleep without any pills, which was good. Bit anxious today, but not too bad.

SeaJay
13-12-15, 11:36
I'm still in the early stages of Cit, so I think it's the side effects. Once it's stabilised, the only side effect I get is wierd yawns!
Had a couple of small drinks last night, and got some sleep without any pills, which was good. Bit anxious today, but not too bad.
Alcohol is a depressant, you feel great whilst under the influence, but edgy and anxious in the morning because the depressant part kicks in.

You might sleep like a log (probably more correct to call it unconsciousness) but in the morning it can get rough

apm
13-12-15, 13:01
Thanks Seajay. It has been bad for me in the past, but I had less than 3 glasses of wine, and didn't feel to bad this morning. I avoid drinking lots though!

apm
14-12-15, 08:57
Took a nytol last night, slept 6 hours, but really tired today. Possibly a hangover effect from the pill? Quite edgy, but I did recently take the Cit. Not great so far today.

SeaJay
14-12-15, 09:15
Took a nytol last night, slept 6 hours, but really tired today. Possibly a hangover effect from the pill? Quite edgy, but I did recently take the Cit. Not great so far today.
I think you need to take whatever you decide to take for a prolonged period. Let the meds work on you before temporarily stopping them.

As for alcohol, myself, my eldest son, and my daughter's boyfriend; all of us feel edgy for days after drinking alcohol. It matters how much/little you drink of course, but we're all different and alcohol affects folk differently. Alcohol can complicate matters in my experiences at least.

apm
14-12-15, 14:59
I did speak to my pharmacist friend, and she says Nytol is not addictive, and you can take if for ages (6 months) without worrying. I will try without soon, as I'm not keen on the side effects, but it's comforting to know they are there if I need them. I don't do well without sleep (none of us does!)

I think I will be avoiding alcohol until things have stabilised a bit more. I think I am probably another week away from that point...

SeaJay
14-12-15, 15:10
Well, I went to see the psychiatrist today and she gave me a prescription for Quetiapine (I've never heard of it).

Apparently it's to tackle anxiety as well as a bunch of other stuff.

Yes, I think folk who have a few issues like ourselves need to steer clear of alcohol. At least until the storm blows over so to speak.

apm
14-12-15, 18:44
That's a new one on me- let me know how you get on with it.

apm
15-12-15, 07:46
5 hours sleep with no tablets last night, very happy with that. Nytol is there if I need it, which is a great comfort.

SeaJay
15-12-15, 09:00
5 hours sleep with no tablets last night, very happy with that. Nytol is there if I need it, which is a great comfort.
I got about 6 hours but I took Mirtazapine and that Quetiapine for the first time. No noticeable difference but then I've only taken the Quetiapine once! :)

apm
15-12-15, 09:28
Hmmm... is it an SSRI? Will it take a while before it kicks in? Any side effects of note?

SeaJay
15-12-15, 09:56
Hmmm... is it an SSRI? Will it take a while before it kicks in? Any side effects of note?
Not sure but I've been informed it could take a couple of weeks before I feel any effects

apm
15-12-15, 11:29
Looks like it's an atypical. Hope your side effects are minimal, and it gets to work fast for you!

apm
16-12-15, 08:59
Another good sleep last night with no pills. Anxiety a bit higher today, but not too bad (2/10). Felt a bit flat on the train, but a bit better now. Definitely feeling better than I did.

SeaJay
16-12-15, 09:54
Another good sleep last night with no pills. Anxiety a bit higher today, but not too bad (2/10). Felt a bit flat on the train, but a bit better now. Definitely feeling better than I did.
Glad to hear it - 4 or 5 deep breathes will relax you even more

Because I'm taking new meds they now want me to have a blood test (just had it), my blood pressure taken (no need, I can tell them it's going to be high), and an ECG.

They are thorough at least.

apm
16-12-15, 14:49
Regular guinea pig! Thorough is good- the way to really understand what's going on, especially with new meds. Keep us posted...

Carolin
16-12-15, 16:27
Seajay, quetiapine is an antipsychotic.

I take it and I have to tell you it has helped me so much with insomnia and racing thoughts. I take the extended release two hours before bed and it really does help me to sleep. I am only on a small dose as it is used for other things at the higher doses. It does have some risks, which is why they do blood tests etc.

For me it works and for that I am grateful . Just wish it helped with depression as well !

SeaJay
16-12-15, 16:32
Thanks for the info Carolin

They gave it to me primarily to help with my anxiety, but I've also got full blown adhd and O.C.D so it will help with my thoughts too.

As for side effects, I get a dry mouth, my heart beats faster for the first 20 to 30 minutes, and I get a shortness of breath. Also makes me a little drowsy. But after that first half our or so, things start to calm down and it all goes away.

They gave me some information and it said it can take a couple of weeks before I start feeling the real benefits. Only been on them for four days to date.

apm
17-12-15, 18:06
Fingers crossed for you SeaJay, hope it has the right effect.

I'm feeling quite anxious and stressed, but due to work. Had a meeting with a really important boss today that was cancelled. Could have been a good opportunity to get some brownie points, and I was a bit nervous. Feels like it's not completed. Also having trouble with a project client, feeling undermined and unappreciated just now.

SeaJay
17-12-15, 18:13
Fingers crossed for you SeaJay, hope it has the right effect.

I'm feeling quite anxious and stressed, but due to work. Had a meeting with a really important boss today that was cancelled. Could have been a good opportunity to get some brownie points, and I was a bit nervous. Feels like it's not completed. Also having trouble with a project client, feeling undermined and unappreciated just now.
Is the meeting rescheduled?

Had some results today. My blood pressure was high but I told the nurse it would be because I'm anxious/nervous. My ECG was normal though, everything fine there. I took my blood pressure again soon after and it had started to drop already. My blood test results will take some time though

apm
18-12-15, 09:19
Good news for you so far, SeaJay, that's great. Hope the positive effects kick in for you soon.

I don't know if the meeting will be rescheduled. I left a copy of a doc I'd prepared with his PA, it may be that his questions will be answered. What's good is that he's happy with my work, this meeting was to find out more.

The other issue is not resolved, but I have a call with the AD in my organisation to talk through. This is a difficult client, and I just need to provide reassurance!

Good sleep last night, but anxious/ worried today, but understandably I think. Hopefully will feel better after the call.

SeaJay
18-12-15, 11:20
Good news for you so far, SeaJay, that's great. Hope the positive effects kick in for you soon.

I don't know if the meeting will be rescheduled. I left a copy of a doc I'd prepared with his PA, it may be that his questions will be answered. What's good is that he's happy with my work, this meeting was to find out more.

The other issue is not resolved, but I have a call with the AD in my organisation to talk through. This is a difficult client, and I just need to provide reassurance!

Good sleep last night, but anxious/ worried today, but understandably I think. Hopefully will feel better after the call.
Can I ask what line of work you are in?

apm
18-12-15, 11:44
I work on short term projects in the NHS. My organisation is part of the NHS, and we do consultancy work for other NHS organisations. Mostly I really enjoy it, but this client is being really trying!

SeaJay
18-12-15, 12:16
I work on short term projects in the NHS. My organisation is part of the NHS, and we do consultancy work for other NHS organisations. Mostly I really enjoy it, but this client is being really trying!
Sounds an interesting job.

Good luck with the client and remember that no job is worth worrying over. Easy to say but it is true. Don't take your work home with you as they say.

apm
04-01-16, 11:34
So, been feeling really good since really about 22nd December, the Cit has really kicked in, and anxiety is pretty much gone. Sleeping is back to normal, or in fact more than normal actually, I have been able to sleep quite late over the holiday. Last night's sleep was less good, woke up at about 0330, only dozed for an hour after that. Feeling bit edgy today... Know it's only a blip though.

SeaJay
04-01-16, 11:57
So, been feeling really good since really about 22nd December, the Cit has really kicked in, and anxiety is pretty much gone. Sleeping is back to normal, or in fact more than normal actually, I have been able to sleep quite late over the holiday. Last night's sleep was less good, woke up at about 0330, only dozed for an hour after that. Feeling bit edgy today... Know it's only a blip though.
Yep, sounds like it's just a blip. When you consider everyone gets anxious now and again, I think that's natural and understandable.

For me, I've had a fairly rough time over Christmas and the new medication Quetiapine don't seem to have done much if anything in almost 3 weeks of taking them. Still, seeing the GP on the 12th so perhaps something else can be tried.

Either way, happy new year!

apm
04-01-16, 16:56
Thanks SeaJay, and happy new year to you, too!

Sorry to hear the Quetiapine aren't doing the job for you. Sure the GP will switch to something that will work. Fingers crossed, and let us know how you get on.