PDA

View Full Version : bowels and digestive system - anxiety

kellie39
23-11-15, 09:51
hi
ive never suffered with anxiety like this before and ive had it now for 5 weeks. 3 of those i spent in bed in a complete state and could hardly function on a day to day basis, im calmer now but my digestive system seems to not be the same as it was before.
i sometimes feel like i have something in my throat and then i burp a few times and its gone (ive never been a burper before). i sometimes get a bit of acid/ heartburn and my bowels are looser than they used to be. i dont have a tummy ache or anything like that with it, they are just looser than normal.

can the anxiety cause this ?
ive read that people have bowel problems with anxiety and im trying to be sensible and think that as ive had anxiety for a few weeks it will take my body quite some time to settle back down again and not to worry about it too much but the anxiety i have had is health anxiety so this isnt that easy.

i still have the nervy tummy somedays and im not sleeping properly yet and although the anxiety is calmer it is still bubbling there.

does the anxiety affect your bowels? do they settle back down in the end?
should i expect this to take some time and not get worried about it?

thanks in advance for any advice
xx

MyNameIsTerry
23-11-15, 10:06
Yes, it affects you in many ways.

The GI system is one that we can suffer in various ways. You will find a fair amount of anxiety sufferers also have IBS and many IBS sufferers start to suffer anxiety over that alone.

Sometimes it can be the runs, other times it's constipation, some people have issues with acid, etc. You can find food affects you in different ways that before so need to be smarter with your diet and sometimes this can mean eating small and often until your digestion seems to recover.

Don't be surprised if you have a lot or gurgling stomachs, acid issues and wind issues as it's often just part of anxiety for many of us. There are things you can do to help yourself with these issues but reducing overall anxiety levels is a very good one as the rest tends to settle down with it.

Some people have more GI symptoms than others when it starts.

Most of your Serotonin is in your gut, not your brain. The Vagus nerve carries signals along one channel from your brain to your gut but also the other way via another channel. Studies have proven in rats/mice that if they sever the connection from the brain to the gut, the gut to the brain channel can still increase anxiety. So, it makes sense that we have all these GI symptoms when the gut is actually part of the anxiety process as proven by science.

Keep your gut healthy. Things like probiotics can be helpful for all people but I think even more so for us as we need to ensure our GI system is working well.

kellie39
23-11-15, 10:15
Yes, it affects you in many ways.

The GI system is one that we can suffer in various ways. You will find a fair amount of anxiety sufferers also have IBS and many IBS sufferers start to suffer anxiety over that alone.

Sometimes it can be the runs, other times it's constipation, some people have issues with acid, etc. You can find food affects you in different ways that before so need to be smarter with your diet and sometimes this can mean eating small and often until your digestion seems to recover.

Don't be surprised if you have a lot or gurgling stomachs, acid issues and wind issues as it's often just part of anxiety for many of us. There are things you can do to help yourself with these issues but reducing overall anxiety levels is a very good one as the rest tends to settle down with it.

Some people have more GI symptoms than others when it starts.

Most of your Serotonin is in your gut, not your brain. The Vagus nerve carries signals along one channel from your brain to your gut but also the other way via another channel. Studies have proven in rats/mice that if they sever the connection from the brain to the gut, the gut to the brain channel can still increase anxiety. So, it makes sense that we have all these GI symptoms when the gut is actually part of the anxiety process as proven by science.

Keep your gut healthy. Things like probiotics can be helpful for all people but I think even more so for us as we need to ensure our GI system is working well.

thanks Terry
i started taking a probiotic about a week ago now so hopefully that will help.

im trying to tell myself that while i still have some degree of anxiety my digestive system wont be normal and when the anxiety has gone (fingers crossed) then my bowels ect will get back to normal and it could take a while to get there. i tell myself this but as my anxiety is over health then its a bit harder not to keep thinking about it.

ricardo
23-11-15, 10:24
Do you smoke kellie? I can't add anything else to what Terry has said but if you do smoke that can also add to your bowel function mixed with anxiety.

kellie39
23-11-15, 10:30
Do you smoke kellie? I can't add anything else to what Terry has said but if you do smoke that can also add to your bowel function mixed with anxiety.

no i dont smoke :yesyes:

i know i need to just relax about it and tell myself thats its part of the anxiety and it will settle down in time but you just have the odd day dont you when your brain do that :blush:

Sparkling_Fairy
23-11-15, 11:48
I had INSANE burping for about 8 months. And I never used to burp. It's been gone for the past few weeks now since my anxiety has gone down but I have it the odd day or two.
I also went through a few weeks of spastic colon, where my bowels would just wiggle the whole day. No pain with either though.
They're all just symptoms of anxiety

kellie39
23-11-15, 16:00
oh yes the burping is something ive never had before
xx

kellie39
24-11-15, 10:50
would you recommend i take anything for it? or just watch what i eat, take my probiotic and calm my anxiety even more and fingers crossed it should settle down ?
as i said its not too bad its just looser than it should be.

xxx