PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice quick

GirlAfraid23
23-11-15, 10:29
I was sent home from work on Friday due to feeling absolutely terrible.

Now I've called into work sick today but when will a doctor's note be required? I know it's after 7 days but will that be this Friday or next Monday?

And if I do get a note, how will I get it to them? As I'm unable to drive at the moment.

MyNameIsTerry
23-11-15, 11:23
You can post it to them but make sure you take a copy. You could fax a copy (or scan it and email it to them) through if they are funny about getting some sight of it quickly whilst it's in the post or just tell them it's on the way.

You can give them a self signing one for the first 7 days although they only need it if you are off 4+ days as far as I remember. This might have just been mine although they would cover it anyway with a return to work interview with a 2 part form you had to fill in. After that you need one from your GP.

https://www.gov.uk/taking-sick-leave

We used to get self signing certs from our GP surgeries but employers take care of it normally now.

If you were sent home on Friday and you don't work weekends, you ring in sick from Monday and thats when the first day of your self signing or GP FIT note will start from. From what I recall, if you had been sent home Thursday so rang in sick on Friday, your cert would start from Friday hence by the following Friday (7 days later) you would need a GP FIT note.

Contact your line manager if you are unsure.

GirlAfraid23
23-11-15, 14:00
You can post it to them but make sure you take a copy. You could fax a copy (or scan it and email it to them) through if they are funny about getting some sight of it quickly whilst it's in the post or just tell them it's on the way.

You can give them a self signing one for the first 7 days although they only need it if you are off 4+ days as far as I remember. This might have just been mine although they would cover it anyway with a return to work interview with a 2 part form you had to fill in. After that you need one from your GP.

https://www.gov.uk/taking-sick-leave

We used to get self signing certs from our GP surgeries but employers take care of it normally now.

If you were sent home on Friday and you don't work weekends, you ring in sick from Monday and thats when the first day of your self signing or GP FIT note will start from. From what I recall, if you had been sent home Thursday so rang in sick on Friday, your cert would start from Friday hence by the following Friday (7 days later) you would need a GP FIT note.

Contact your line manager if you are unsure.

Ok so I won't need the doctors note until Monday - I just called up and asked for confirmation.
She said as long as she has a note by Monday so does she mean send it before Monday or only send it if I'm off on Monday. I will probably go back on Monday I'm hoping, so I won't need one right?
I'm probably going to see this week out though...I'm so confused!

Randara
23-11-15, 14:51
Hiya, it's 7 days including weekends/non work days and from the first day of sick leave. If you took Friday as sick leave then you'd need to either go back in on Friday or get a sick note on Friday. Or if today was your first sick day then you could go back in next Monday without a note. Some doctors charge if you try and get a sick note before the final day of self certification too.

Hope this makes sense and you feel better soon x

GirlAfraid23
23-11-15, 15:08
Hiya, it's 7 days including weekends/non work days and from the first day of sick leave. If you took Friday as sick leave then you'd need to either go back in on Friday or get a sick note on Friday. Or if today was your first sick day then you could go back in next Monday without a note. Some doctors charge if you try and get a sick note before the final day of self certification too.

Hope this makes sense and you feel better soon x

But she said she'd need it by Monday so will I need to send it on Friday for Monday. But then I was planning on going back on Monday - so surely there's no point in a sick note for the week before? It's rather confusing. I thought you only needed to produce a sick note to say you wouldn't be coming to work, not that you'd be coming back?

jayb1
23-11-15, 17:02
You'll need a sick note unless you go in work on Friday. If you're planning to go back in next Monday you can take the sick note in with you. They need it to sort out ssp

Randara
24-11-15, 07:38
Here's what the nhs website says - http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1062.aspx?CategoryID=68