PDA

View Full Version : Mitral valve prolapse?

jenni89
24-11-15, 02:21
Does anyone have this condition? And can you tell me your symptoms and how you got diagnosed?

I went to the doctor a few weeks back for ectopic heartbeats. Before my Dr listened to my heart, she mentioned that I could have MVP and that it's very common. She didn't say anything about what she heard, other than she heard PVCS. EKG came back sinus rhythm with occasional supraventricular complexes and that these ectopics are not coming from an area of concern.

I had an echo done in August at the hospital. Nothing was mentioned, however, I wasn't having ectopic beats at the time.

It seems like mitral valve prolapse causes the same symptoms as anxiety. And other than the ectopics I have been getting, I have been getting a hard, heavy heart beat every now and again almost as if I have just ran up flights of stairs minus the racing. It isn't exactly fast. Can a Dr. "hear" mitral valve prolapse and would they mention it?

---------- Post added at 18:21 ---------- Previous post was at 18:19 ----------

I'd also like to add that I have been getting around 5 ectopic beats a minute lately, it's been a daily occurrence for quite awhile now

2Anxious
25-11-15, 03:54
MVP is extremely common. However, it's usually diagnosed with an echo so I doubt you have it if it wasn't picked up in August. You can usually hear MVP but I'm not sure it can be diagnosed just by listening.

Is there any way you can change doctors? From this and your other thread she really doesn't sound very good at all. Did she say you might have MVP before listening? If so, it was probably a total guess and when she listened she couldn't hear anything. But why would she even mention MVP to someone who suffers with anxiety?

Anyway, if you were in any danger, it would have been picked up on your echo and 24 hour monitor. If you really feel like you need more assurance, and you can afford it, I'd find a new doctor and do a whole new set of tests. Although I don't think it's necessary.

jenni89
25-11-15, 04:02
MVP is extremely common. However, it's usually diagnosed with an echo so I doubt you have it if it wasn't picked up in August. You can usually hear MVP but I'm not sure it can be diagnosed just by listening.

Is there any way you can change doctors? From this and your other thread she really doesn't sound very good at all. Did she say you might have MVP before listening? If so, it was probably a total guess and when she listened she couldn't hear anything. But why would she even mention MVP to someone who suffers with anxiety?

Anyway, if you were in any danger, it would have been picked up on your echo and 24 hour monitor. If you really feel like you need more assurance, and you can afford it, I'd find a new doctor and do a whole new set of tests. Although I don't think it's necessary.

Thanks 2Anxious for your reply, I am considering looking for another Dr. I have terrible insurance right now, so I have been being sent to run of the mill Dr's :/ It's better than nothing I guess. She said it could be MVP BEFORE she even listened to my heart, but didn't mention it after she listened. She forgot that I was even seeing a psychiatrist for anxiety and she's one of those types of Dr's that is just in and out in a flash.

Hopefully I can go back to my old Dr when I can get better insurance! Definitely gives me more time and focus.

2Anxious
25-11-15, 04:21
Thanks 2Anxious for your reply, I am considering looking for another Dr. I have terrible insurance right now, so I have been being sent to run of the mill Dr's :/ It's better than nothing I guess. She said it could be MVP BEFORE she even listened to my heart, but didn't mention it after she listened. She forgot that I was even seeing a psychiatrist for anxiety and she's one of those types of Dr's that is just in and out in a flash.

Hopefully I can go back to my old Dr when I can get better insurance! Definitely gives me more time and focus.

You mentioned you're having 5 ectopic beats a minute now, do they still feel like beat--beat--beatBEAT-----beat--beat? if so, again, they are PACs and really aren't dangerous.

Did you ever get around to trying those supplements I recommended? I just said in another thread that it can take months to see a difference, so if you are or do ever try any supplements, try and stay consistent with them for atleast 2/3 months.

Hope you feel better soon.

jenni89
25-11-15, 04:28
You mentioned you're having 5 ectopic beats a minute now, do they still feel like beat--beat--beatBEAT-----beat--beat? if so, again, they are PACs and really aren't dangerous.

Did you ever get around to trying those supplements I recommended? I just said in another thread that it can take months to see a difference so if you are or do ever try any supplements, try and stay consistent with them for atleast 2/3 months.

Hope you feel better soon.

Yes, it still is just the extra beats I am feeling. They are not terrible right now but I think it's because I am trying my hardest not to focus on them.

I started using a magnesium oil, and I have also been using some liquid vitamin D, AND B12. Hard to tell if anything makes a real big difference yet. I have also tried using "calm" a magnesium citrate powder that my friend had on hand and that magically seems to reduce my palpitations. I don't know if it's all in my mind or what, but I definitely will be purchasing some of that soon.

misslove
01-12-15, 19:36
My dr said I had this. He said it's nothing to worry about at all. I still get the heart blips but I try my best to ignore them. It's been years with them and nothing has gotten worse.

smine
25-02-16, 12:19
my dr heard a murmur that he said was likely an mvp. the first time he heard it, i had been to see him because of a run of sudden strong palps that id never had before. i was stressing about it and my bp was a bit high. when i went back a few weeks later my bp was normal and he said he could hardly hear the murmur which was good. i got referred to hosp for tests but the times they offered me didnt suit and then they stopped sending me times. so ive not done anything further. i am not fit or exercising, im overweight but not obese. and im 45... im reading that its common at my age for palps and suchlike. im planning to start walking tho and slowly lose my xtra weight. at night the palps stop me falling asleep easily, sometimes. i will almost be asleep then i will feel like ive been shocked awake and thump! not so fun. my body doesnt like it when i lie down. get more palps then than at other times during the day. might be having dinner too late tho, i should try moving it earlier by a few hours.