PDA

View Full Version : Will I be dismissed at work?

GirlAfraid23
24-11-15, 11:43
I started the job in September (I work in a school - a nursery).
The first month, I had a sickness bug and couldn't stop throwing up and had diarrhoea over the weekend, I went to work on the Monday and they sent me home because I was sweating and kept running off to the toilet. I was off for a further day after that.

A few weeks ago, I came down with a chest infection which started as sinus irritation. I went to the doctors and told it was just a virus. I had two days off because I felt crap and went back to work.
I soon realised I shouldn't have gone back as I was constantly coughing and felt weak and tired.
I carried on for another week then last Friday I woke up with a sharp pain in my ribs when I took a deep breath. It also hurt to move and coughing/sneezing was excruciating. I went into work but broke down in tears when I got there, I was sent home.
I still have these symptoms (the pain - sleeping and laying down is unbearable) I went to the doctors and was told I likely have bruised my ribs. Nothing they can do. Just to rest it.
On a second lot of antibiotics for the cough - I'm still coughing so the pain isn't getting better as its aggravating it each time.
I called in sick yesterday and I don't think I will be able to go back until next week and even then I'll have to see if I can be signed off work. Going back to docs on Friday.

I'm really worried I will be dismissed for having too much time off in such a short space of time but all the children have been coughing and so it must be going around.

---------- Post added at 11:43 ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 ----------

Someone please help :(

Randara
24-11-15, 11:50
Hiya, I was off sick at my last job a few times and when I had hit the trigger points (I.e. 6 days off in 3 months) then my manger and I had a meeting to discuss and to set out a plan on how to help.

I don't think they can sack you straight away for being off sick. Might be worth speaking to yor manager about what the policy is on employees being off sick so that you are aware.

GirlAfraid23
24-11-15, 12:29
Hiya, I was off sick at my last job a few times and when I had hit the trigger points (I.e. 6 days off in 3 months) then my manger and I had a meeting to discuss and to set out a plan on how to help.

I don't think they can sack you straight away for being off sick. Might be worth speaking to yor manager about what the policy is on employees being off sick so that you are aware.

I work in a school so not sure if I have a proper manager as such.
I'm feeling nervous about all this, it's the last thing I need after feeling so bad.

---------- Post added at 12:29 ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 ----------

Also altogether - if I see this week out, I will have had 11 days off altogether but 3 separate occasions.

jayb1
24-11-15, 13:24
You're working in a breeding ground for germs !! You can't be sacked straight away you have to have 2 verbal warnings and a written warning first. Try not to worry it won't help you recover but it sounds like you need something to boost your immune system. I used to get cold after cold infection after infection until I took centrum multivitamins which seemed to stop it .

jimsmrs
24-11-15, 13:26
The Headteacher would know who your line manager is.

Have a look on www.gov.uk
it explains everything about employee's rights regarding sickness.

GirlAfraid23
24-11-15, 13:35
The Headteacher would know who your line manager is.

Have a look on www.gov.uk
it explains everything about employee's rights regarding sickness.

The thing I'm worried about is surely I'm still in the probation period? :weep:
I'm so worried about it all. I feel sick with panic.
I'm going to start taking echinacea as its supposed to boost immunity.

Emma1027
24-11-15, 21:51
When I worked in a nursery and care home I got sick and not long after I was well again I became ill again. You expect to pick up bugs in places like schools and hospitals as they are breeding grounds. Once your immune system gets stronger you will fight off infections quicker. I am sure if they are reasonable employers they will understand and not judge you-after all everyone gets ill and this time of year you expect it. Really try thou not too take too much time off thou because it doesn't look good or professional.