PDA

View Full Version : New to the forum Nov 2015

Yorkshirewife
24-11-15, 12:41
Hi, I'm new to this site - I'm suffering from anxiety for the last month or so. I have been on Sertraline for two weeks now and I'm looking for any help or advice people can give me on coping. Thanks x

venusbluejeans
24-11-15, 12:48
Hiya Yorkshirewife and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

jimsmrs
24-11-15, 13:04
Welcome Yorkshirewife:welcome:
Take one day at a time with Sertraline. I've been on it for about 2 years now, only because the other types didn't suit me and I remember it took ages to kick in. Try to find your trigger for your anxiety. Exercise helps too, I go walking with the my dog, rain or shine.

I started on 100mg, then after about 8 months Dr put me down to 75mg and now I'm on 50mg, Dr did want me to come off completely, but then I devoloped a Thyroid problem which made the anxiety worse and then I had to stop my HRT, as it interfered with my blood results and clashed with the Levothyroxine I had to take for my Thyroid, so they let me carry on with the Sertraline for now.

Stick with it and try to push through any side effects you get.:D

Yorkshirewife
24-11-15, 14:56
Thank you! It's good to read your experience - I have to say side effects have been awful on this drug but I'm persevering - and the last couple of days have picked up a little. You are so right about exercise - I feel so much better when I've been out and done something. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply - it helps to know I'm not on my own. x

31andcounting
25-11-15, 02:17
Hi there. I am also very new, as of now. i am so very sorry for the monster that you carry "anxiety". It can be such a heavy burden. I have tried counseling, I am well aware of what cognitive therapy is..etc. I know what my anxiety triggers are. I have been carrying this cross for 31 years. let me help you. i have realized, that in my profession, if the "what ifs" are my demons, I am ok with that. You are stronger than your annxiety. That monster head that looms over your shoulder, it is only dominate if you allow it. I fight it every day-sometimes it wins, sometimes I do. never give up.

Yorkshirewife
25-11-15, 08:09
Thank you 31 x I'm trying so hard to get on top of this - my family and friends are so worried and that makes me try harder x

Sarahjosephine
25-11-15, 08:18
Welcome to NMP, Hope this site helps you. It has been a life saver for me, anxiety is not constant and anti-deppressants can help but don't only rely on them. Exercise, meditation, therapy and doing things you enjoy are much more important...as well as relaxation exercises etc. Good luck and lots of love and positive energy sending your way xxx

Yorkshirewife
25-11-15, 09:31
Thank you x I'm trying really hard to be positive and keep active x

jimsmrs
26-11-15, 13:42
No you're not on your own YorkshireWife :hugs:
SarahJosephine is right. You will get good days and bad. The way to deal with the bad days is distraction, just something to take your mind off things so you don't feed the anxiety monster!!!

---------- Post added at 13:42 ---------- Previous post was at 13:39 ----------

PS

I now drink decaf tea, which helped with the shaky tummy.

take care

Yorkshirewife
26-11-15, 13:59
Thank you - I think I'll feel better when I'm back at work but I'll try the decaf tea - I've lost a stone in three weeks and not sure this is the best way to diet! Thank you so much for your kind reply - knowing others are feeling the same helps A LOT! x

emily67
26-11-15, 16:16
hi.

welcome

Yorkshirewife
26-11-15, 18:44
Hi - hope you're having a positive day x

emily67
26-11-15, 20:19
Hi - hope you're having a positive day x

i've been listening to the new album by addelle

if you've not heard it yet i really do suggest it

really relaxing

how are you x

Yorkshirewife
27-11-15, 08:02
Not too bad today - I've stopped taking the Sertraline yesterday on my doctors advice - the side effects were far worse than my original symptoms! I've started trying to do some breathing exercises and although I was quite sceptical at first I've found they do help.

I think you're right about music - it does calm me too - I'll try the Adele stuff.

How are you feeling today? x

emily67
27-11-15, 10:48
Not too bad today - I've stopped taking the Sertraline yesterday on my doctors advice - the side effects were far worse than my original symptoms! I've started trying to do some breathing exercises and although I was quite sceptical at first I've found they do help.

I think you're right about music - it does calm me too - I'll try the Adele stuff.

How are you feeling today? x

breathing certainly helps, i like doing the 7/11 method, breav in for 7 seconds, and then out for 11. it was 1 of the first breathing methods i learnt when i was younger, and i've stuck to it.. it really does help

let me know if you like addelle, i think you will!.

as for me, i'm just glad the week is over. had a really bad week... bad pannic attack monday, a really severe episode of depression on tuesday, disaster with the grocery delivery wednesday, and anxiety for know apparent reason on thursday

sleep's been non existent at all this week, most nights have just been spent sprawled out on the sofa watching tv (i could litirally shut down every single shopping channel their is)

oh... yeaah. and i'm fed up with thanksgiving

i've got absolutely nothing to be thankful for. no contact with family and poor health certainly arn't reasons

Yorkshirewife
27-11-15, 10:57
I'm sorry your week has been so rubbish - I've been at home on sick for a couple of weeks now and I don't think it's making me feel any better - I think I'm going back next week. I don't celebrate thanksgiving - but I'm really just not up for anything to do with Christmas this year.

I sometimes just get up if I can't sleep - sometimes I iron! I know it sounds weird but it takes my mind off stuff? I'm going to try your 7/11 today X I hope you have a better day today x