PDA

View Full Version : Viibryd (Vilazodone) UK Availability

cool hand
24-11-15, 17:23
Hi everyone,

I've been a life long sufferer of GAD / Depression, and in recent years finally gave into trying medication. Had some relief using SSRI's (Escitalopram), but the sexual side effects made me give them up. Currently on pregablin, but the depression is back.

I'm on the look our for a SSRI type drug with few sexual side effects, and one that doesn't aggravate my anxiety (wellbutrin for e.g.). I have read very good things about Viibryd (Vilazodone), but can't find anything about it in the UK? Does anybody have any idea if you can get it here in the UK? Cost not a major issue, so doesn't need to be via the NHS.

Thanks

Emphyrio
14-12-15, 18:17
I don't think this drug is licensed in the UK.

There are a few antidepressants that seemingly don't cause sexual side effects. Mirtazapine and trazodone are meant to have fewer sexual side effects, but come with other nasty side effects (weight gain, sleep).

You could possibly look into moclobemide, a reversible MAOI, which doesn't have the same food restrictions as other MAOIs.

You could try some natural remedies including Rhodiola, 5HTP and inositol, though make sure they won't interact with other medication you're taking. They may also bring their own side effects, but they will be less than pharm drugs.

MyNameIsTerry
15-12-15, 07:30
Here is the guidance off the NICE evidence base:

http://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ta367

It's very recent guidance so it might still be getting out there as it says up to 3 months.

If not by the NHS, you would need a private prescription if there is a doctor happy to prescribe it.

It does look an interesting nerw med with it being a combination of a SSRI & Buspirone in effect.

Emphyrio
15-12-15, 16:54
That's Vortioxetine, which is sold as Brintellix in America. I don't think Vilazodone will be approved here to be fair. Vortioxetine doesn't look amazing to be fair - apparently it was no better than placebo when used to treat GAD.