PDA

View Full Version : Doctors appointment today and very afraid!

Chantel
24-11-15, 19:05
I have an appointment in a couple hours and I'm terrified to go, any pointers on how to stay calm? I have a lymphnode, that I've had on and off for the last four years swell up over a week ago. It's sore, and quite obvious as well as a little red. So scared about what the doctor will say :( I hate having HA, it's so hard to keep things in check and not get worked up the way I do.

daisyflower
24-11-15, 19:27
If it's been swollen that long and you are still alive, it's nothing to worry about :) Sore and red means you have an infection somewhere...honestly, I think the dr will reassure you. If they say, 'if it's still there in a few weeks, come back' then don't panic, they always say that X

miss sparkle
24-11-15, 19:27
I know its hard to re reassured but if you have had it obvious for 4 years its unlikely to be anything sinister.
Have you had a illness or cold or allergy that may have caused it to swell recently xx

Chantel
24-11-15, 19:32
It just swelled a week and a half ago, and yes, I had a really bad cold a couple weeks before it appeared. I guess because it's an obvious side lump on my neck my panic has been in overdrive. Just the thought of the doctor examining my nodes makes me so anxious.

daisyflower
24-11-15, 19:45
I have one there that's always swollen, by the way. Gets sore when I have a cold x

Chantel
24-11-15, 19:58
Is it possible for it to get sore after a cold? It swelled a week after I felt better.

daisyflower
24-11-15, 20:11
Yea maybe you have a secondary bacterial infection, little minor throat infection or something like that x

Fishmanpa
24-11-15, 20:11
Why don't you go take a walk, listen to some music... do something...anything to distract you until your appointment. Sitting here speculating and feeding your anxiety is just making things worse IMO.

Let us know what the doc says ;)

Positive thoughts

Chantel
24-11-15, 20:16
Thanks fishmanpa. Advice taken! I'm going to stay off here for now and go do something.

Chantel
25-11-15, 02:11
Update: so I saw my doctor and it looks like all is well which is a relief. The ER doctor who told me my suspect lymphnode looked like lymphoma was terribly wrong (how a doctor could be so wrong I don't know...). My doctor took one look at my neck, said,"Wow, that's big!" followed by, "But that's not a lymphnode, that's a subaceous cyst." :ohmy: He promptly removed it and I feel a whole lot better.

daisyflower
25-11-15, 07:34
That's great news! Now before your mind starts to move on to some other worry, fill it with positive thoughts, keep busy and plan some exciting things for the next couple of months :)

Sarahjosephine
25-11-15, 08:24
Thats really common hun, I have lymphnodes that go up and down...especially after a cold or during.Don't stress too much, mine are quite large too.

Chantel
25-11-15, 12:29
Thanks Daisyflower! I know this feeling all too well. One of relief, feeling like I am on a total high, and can conquer the world. Until the next symptom creeps in...I should use this good energy to work on my anxiety.

swgrl09
25-11-15, 15:24
I can't believe the ER Doctor said that. You'd think he could recognize a cyst! Or at least have some bedside manners! That would have me freaking out too. BUT you did the right thing and now nothing to worry about :). You're right, use this energy to work on the anxiety and remember this next time you feel anxious.

Chantel
25-11-15, 18:00
He had no bedside manner. My husband, who was with me and well aware of my ha, said I got the worst doctor for someone who suffers from anxiety. In the same visit (which was for an allergic reaction) he told me he thought I had ringworm....they were hives! :wacko: How some get their medical license I have no idea!

tamo
29-11-15, 08:42
im happy for you chantel