PDA

View Full Version : Worried about a stroke or brain tumor

Makoto29
25-11-15, 01:08
Hello, everyone! I'm new here, so I hope I'm doing everything right...

Apart from having hypothyroidism and a benign thyroid tumor, I'm a fairly healthy person. But for a couple months, I've been experiencing weakness on the right side of my face and body that comes and goes, as well as a tingling feeling in my feet. I also get multiple headaches and stomach aches throughout the day. More recently, I've been smelling a smoky smell that lasts only a few seconds, but comes back over and over.

I know I shouldn't, but I Google the symptoms, and it always comes up with things about stroke or brain tumors. It's really terrifying, and I'm so paranoid about having a stroke that I constantly look in a mirror to make sure my face isn't drooping on one side. Some days, I worry so much that I end up crying and feeling like I'm going to throw up. It's been affecting me so much that I have a hard time focusing on anything to take my mind off of it.

I don't know if there's something actually wrong with me, but I really hope there isn't. I'm afraid of asking my parents if I can see a doctor because we can't afford it, and I don't want to annoy them anymore with my worrying. I'm also afraid the doctor will tell me something actually is wrong.

On a side note, I didn't know there was a forum like this out there! For years I've been overly worried about my health, and I'm really glad to know I'm not the only one who constantly worries that they might be sick or something... :)

Randara
25-11-15, 02:31
Hey there! I have had these fears too, but luckily I have gotten over them (for time being). During the height of my anxiety I was getting weird sensations in one side of my body, like tingling and also like what I imagine a trapped nerve feels like. I still get this every now and again. At one point I ended up going to A and E because of a panic attack and my main fear was that I'd had a stroke, the nurse was lovely and did coordination tests on me and I was fine.

Personally, when I start feeling these strange sensations I start focusing on them and and am hyper aware of my body. During these times I do also think my eyelid is droopy, but in reality this is because I keep touching it so it feels different to my other eyelid.

From seeing other posts on here many people suffer with stomach problems and headaches from their anxiety too. I seem to have developed acid reflux since being anxious, and also find it a lot harder to eat as much as I used to.

It's difficult if you are in a situation where you can't afford to see a doctor, but I think it sounds like you need to see one to discuss your anxiety. They will be able to look into your symptoms and hopefully put your mind at ease and can also suggest how to help combat your anxiety. If you explain to your family I'm sure they'd understand?

Make sure you stop googling! And I hope you feel better soon :hugs:

Makoto29
01-12-15, 17:55
Thank you for the reply! Yeah, a lot of the things I'm feeling are anxiety symptoms, but I can't seem to convince myself that nothing is wrong. Would the headache and smoke smell be constant? Because both only last a few seconds, but keep coming back over and over. I feel weak on one side, and my left leg has been tingly for a few days.

I'm also really worried about rabies because I've been taking care of a stray cat, but if he doesn't have symptoms, then there's no way I would, right? The tingly leg definitely isn't making me feel better about the rabies thing...

Everyone's telling me I'm overreacting and that nothing is wrong with me, and while it's probably true, it's so hard to believe it and relax...

Makoto29
05-12-15, 18:39
Now my vision is slightly blurry in my left eye.

I have an appointment on Monday for a physical. I've never had one before, and I'm really worried the doctors will find something terrible.

Worrying like this is making it very hard to focus on anything and making it hard to sleep at night... I really hope everything will be alright...