PDA

View Full Version : AOL users - please read!

nomorepanic
18-02-07, 22:00
SUMMARY:

Use Internet Explorer or another web browser instead of the 'internal' AOL browser when browsing vBulletin message boards. Even if you use AOL's internet service, you can still use Internet Explorer (or another browser of your choice).

From vBulletin's support site:

Quote:
If AOL users have "Automatically remember my username and password" AND "Browse this board with cookies," they will not experience these problems.
If they do not have "Automatically remember my username and password" set, they will get logged out by vBulletin's session validation process. This is because they are actually getting logged in again and again by their cookie.
This only applies to AOL users who use AOL's internal browser. If they open up Internet Explorer or Netscape, they don't go through AOL's multi-homed proxy.

This applies to any user who's accessing the site through a multi-homed proxy server. This includes WebTV users, many users accessing vBulletin sites from work, and users accessing vBulletin from educational institutions who use this technology.

I think it's fair to say that the majority of vBulletin users have their options set to save their username and password in a cookie. Those that don't and meet the conditions above are going to have problems.

Chances are the majority of those reporting no problems have users who have their settings set to remember username/password with a cookie.
This problem exists. One look at the code and you'll see why. vBulletin simply wasn't designed to remember sessions across IP addresses.

Ross
20-02-07, 01:32
Here are the links to the two main Browsers. Incidently, it is worthwhile checking you have the latest Browser installed (unless you keep the old browser for a reason).

Internet Explorer 7 (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/ie/getitnow.mspx)

Mozilla Firefox 2 (http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/)

It wont hurt to have both Broswers installed, and you can pick and choose which one you prefer.

FireFox is the better Browser for most people

nomorepanic
20-02-07, 20:09
It looks like AOL is causing quite a few problems on here so if you have anything weird happening then please do NOT use the AOL browser but instead use IE or Firefox.

Thanks