PDA

View Full Version : Migraine meds :(

crystal17
25-11-15, 22:10
Hi got a severe migraine so hard to type in detail.

Dr gave me 2.5mg of Zolmitriptan but I'm scared to take it as also on 50mg of sertraline and it says on leaflet not to take triptans and SSRI's together.

Told Dr my concerns at the time she prescribed it and she dismissed me due to my anxiety, however am scared about seratonin syndrome.

Should I just risk it?? Am absolutely desperate :weep:

Thanks anyone for help.

dizzy daisy
25-11-15, 22:19
Hi crystal I suppose it's that thing again about us trusting our doctors. Like you say you reminded them of your meds when this new drug was prescribed for you - the doctor has made an assessment and decided it will be ok. You need. To sort out your migraine right now and your anxiety is making you feel worse and bring in all those doubts that we all get. I personally don't read the information leaflets now fur anything I'm prescribed as I question things and worry about side effects all the time. I just have the attitude of the doctor has made the assessment then I'll take the prescription xxxx

crystal17
25-11-15, 22:26
Thanks so much for replying x

Yes this is what I am thinking, she know I'm on sertraline and that I have severe anxiety, she checked in this huge manual and said they don't interact...but I checked the leaflet, plus NHS websites and patient.co.uk and it says they do!

Ok, am going to take one as I can't cope.

Thank you x

Sparkling_Fairy
25-11-15, 22:33
I've heard doctors say conflicting things about this. As long as your GP monitors it, I would say take it.
Also, I don't know anything about Zolmitriptan, but I'm on Sumatriptan and the lowest dose there is 50mg. All the articles I've seen talk about at least 50mg of any triptan.
I think 2.5mg should be fine, and you don't want a migraine to drag on 'cause that'll make your anxiety symptoms way worse!

crystal17
25-11-15, 23:20
Thanks Sparkling Fairy :hugs: x

I know, I thought 2.5mg seemed v low! Well I just checked patient.co.uk again and apparently it also interacts with caffeine and I took 2 x 500mg soluble paracetamol & caffeine an hour ago so just in bed now and going to leave it.

It's got better in the last half an hour anyway, most of the day I've not been able to do anything at all and can look at the laptop screen now so an improvement.
Just going to go to sleep and hope its gone by tomorrow, but my migraines can last 3 days :(

Can I ask, does the sumatriptan work well for you?

Sparkling_Fairy
25-11-15, 23:51
The sumatriptan is like a wonder drug! I was in bed for 3 days for 5 years, every 2 - 3 weeks. I missed so much work.
I finally went to the doctor to get prescription meds, and he prescribed me sumatriptan.
Since then , my migraines clear up in 40 minutes. And they take longer to become severe now too. Every once in a while it doesn't work, but that's a rarity.
Though I need to start looking at preventatives because I get them way too often.
But sumatriptan works amazing for me!

crystal17
04-12-15, 20:41
Only just logged back in and seen your reply Sparkling Fairy! Aw I am so glad the sumatriptan works well for you, it really does sound too good to be true as when you're right in the middle of one if feels like it'll never go.

Keep taking it if it helps you :)

I take propanalol btw as a preventative, it has helped reduce how often I get them and also the nausea slightly. Not an amazing difference, but noticeable.