PDA

View Full Version : Noise and anxiety.

almamatters
26-11-15, 12:33
I'm a long time sufferer of anxiety, but I have noticed I have developed a severe intolerance to noise. Worst for me is when the TV is loud, any shrill singing or talking, loud excitable voices etc. It really upsets me and I can feel anxiety building up.Has anyone any idea what is happening to me or anyone have similar experiences. I can't remember being affected like this before. Thanks.

snowflake293
26-11-15, 12:46
I'm a long time sufferer of anxiety, but I have noticed I have developed a severe intolerance to noise. Worst for me is when the TV is loud, any shrill singing or talking, loud excitable voices etc. It really upsets me and I can feel anxiety building up.Has anyone any idea what is happening to me or anyone have similar experiences. I can't remember being affected like this before. Thanks.

I have the same thing. My other half has got used to grabbing the remote quickly if any offending sounds come on. TV wise, I am especially bothered by shouting. Sometimes I have to switch off because of it.

I get the similar feeling on public transport. I have cried over it before and ended up getting off the train!

The absolute worst for me though is motorbikes or noisy cars. I curl up into a ball when I hear them! Funnily enough it doesn't bother me when I am driving, just when I am at home or if one passes me walking down the street.

I definitely think there is a link between noise/anxiety.

almamatters
26-11-15, 13:00
Thanks for replying and I'm relieved it is an anxiety symptom. I really don't understand why it's affecting me all of a sudden. My friend has quite a loud excitable voice and while I used to be able to talk on the phone to her for ages, I am now having to cut the conversation off. TV adverts which are shouty will stress me. My husband has TV loud and I'm forever turning it down which he hates. Thanks again.

MargaretHale
26-11-15, 13:28
Yes, me too and particularly if there are lots of people talking at once. Shouty people make me anxious and cross.
x

Fishmanpa
26-11-15, 13:28
It's called Misophonia, a strong reaction to certain sounds. I've always had this and it was exasperated during my treatment. Beeping noises (like those made by medical equipment) make me want to break something! ~lol~ I used CBT and exposure techniques to desensitize myself.

Positive thoughts

almamatters
26-11-15, 14:25
It's called Misophonia, a strong reaction to certain sounds. I've always had this and it was exasperated during my treatment. Beeping noises (like those made by medical equipment) make me want to break something! ~lol~ I used CBT and exposure techniques to desensitize myself.

Positive thoughts

Is it normal to just start getting this out of the blue? I am waiting for another course of CBT and am going to mention it as yet another trigger. I read an article that said anxiety likes calm and quiet , which is why it becomes an issue for people.

Fishmanpa
26-11-15, 14:38
I suppose it can happen out of the blue but I really don't know. I've always had a bit of it. Things like pen clicking, popping gum, tapping etc. always got under my skin but I believe the trauma of cancer and treatment was a trigger that brought it to a whole new level. I literally had to get up and wheel my IV tower of drugs out of the room when other patients machines would start beeping and they beeped for everything... low levels, occlusions etc.

Some noises still get to me but less than before. It's funny too that I'm a musician and certain rhythmic sounds bother me. Rap irritates the hell out of me, especially the way it will use very repetitive sounds.

Positive thoughts

debs71
26-11-15, 16:39
Hi almamatters,

I do sympathise. When my anxiety is at it's peak I have the exact same thing. I cannot bear the tv being loud, I have to mute the adverts in particular as everything is so noisy and fast that I just can't handle it. In saying that, even in settled times - like Fishmanpa - I also have a bit of it. I am hypersensitive to any slight sound outside, people coughing on public transport for example, our neighbours making noise or whatever, and get very irritated by it.

In my experience yes, you can just get it out of the blue, but I would think it is related to even a slight increase in stress or anxiety, even subconsciously, as it is most definitely an anxiety symptom.

I remember when I had a bad period with my GAD a couple of years ago. My neighbour was doing building work - hammering - and I was literally sat crying and rocking with my hands over my ears most of the day, as I found the noise unbearable. It was the most unsettling thing.

The only way I know to combat it is to tackle my anxiety and try to chill with distraction techniques, relaxation, etc, etc. xx:hugs:

almamatters
26-11-15, 17:02
Thank you debs, yes the muting of adverts is definitely something I now do, they seriously get on my nerves and as I'm going through an anxious time, like you say a slight increase in anxiety can start it off. Thanks all for your replies x