PDA

View Full Version : I don't know what to do?

psychadelic-brie
26-11-15, 13:20
Someone please help. I feel so let down by mental health services. I am a mess.

I have been unable to work due to anxiety for the past three years. The past two weeks I have been constantly on the edge of a panic attack. Today, I can't stop going to the loo and feel like I'm going to be sick. I am really at the end of my tether. I cannot cope any more. Someone please help. I don't know how to feel calm. I tried looking up local mental health services and feel overwhelmed, like they don't have anything appropriate. The service I used before has changed. I have had several courses of CBT and counselling in the past and it didn't help much. I am on Seroxat which isn't great but I am worse when I am off it. I feel too anxious to see anyone, including my own boyfriend. I live with my mother and step-dad. I don't know what to do. I feel like there is no help and I have just been left by the NHS. I know they are a great service. Perhaps there isn't anything else they can do? I feel so awful. I can't exist like this.

MargaretHale
26-11-15, 13:36
I waited a year for CBT via my GP. Have you tried MIND?

They got me an appt within two weeks and I had CBT with them although it wasn't brilliant it certainly helped.

I live with my partner and my youngest son (oldest is at uni) and I get very anxious when I know my partner is coming home as I just don't want to see anyone sometimes.

x

psychadelic-brie
26-11-15, 13:41
The thing is, I've had several courses of CBT and it didn't help much at all. But I don't know if there is any other alternative? Yet if it doesn't work I shouldn't be taking up their time when they could be helping someone else.

MargaretHale
26-11-15, 13:52
How about counselling?

If you can pay, Anxiety UK offer over the internet sessions and you deserve the option to try it!

x

psychadelic-brie
26-11-15, 14:14
Are they any good? I didn't know that so I will look in to it. I am pretty desperate!

jayb1
26-11-15, 14:29
I had 8 weeks of CBT (absolutely useless) and was referred to step 3 with iapt which is 24 sessions with a psychotherapist. Absolutely brilliant letting me do things in my own time no pressure and I have made steady progress. Couple blips along the way but they were way out of my comfort zone having to do things not done in 10 years. Ask your gp about it . I found seroxat pretty useless maybe a change of meds too? Good luck

psychadelic-brie
03-12-15, 10:22
I have literally tried so many meds that we've sort of accepted they don't do much for me.

How do you get referred to a psychotherapist?

jayb1
03-12-15, 12:16
The doctor referred me to a mental health centre in my town and the CBT was first step second step psychotherapist because the CBT wasn't working. Was a 3 month wait in between the two but worth waiting for

psychadelic-brie
05-12-15, 19:20
Thanks. I have a telephone consultation booked so hopefully that will lead to something similar.

HaroldMorse
10-12-15, 13:43
Counselling and CBT had helped me a lot, glad you have booked for consultation.. Therapy and medication works together for treating anxiety..

vendetans
10-12-15, 22:41
find the best possible therapist ans stick to his advice