PDA

View Full Version : Spinal injury?

laurenmk
27-11-15, 04:21
I was in a cab and I was just about to ask him to slow down as he was going way too fast, when he then took a speed bump! I flew up a few inches and slammed back down. He apologized profusely for the remainder of the ride, but his apologies don't really do me any good. my back hurts and there is kind of a cool tingling moving up and down my spine. I did a bit of research and found a number of references to spinal injuries from speed bumps. So my question isn't IF it can happen, but how I'd know if I should get checked out. For example, can an injury seem benign but then progress to paralysis?

laurenmk
27-11-15, 16:05
Any thoughts at all, guys?

Fishmanpa
27-11-15, 16:30
You have as much a chance of a serious spinal injury as that piece of pinky nail has of reaching your brain ;)

Positive thoughts

daisyflower
27-11-15, 22:31
I'm with fishmanpa. Ever been thrown around on a roller coaster or in bumper cars? We'd all be in wheelchairs if it was that easy to damage your spine x

laurenmk
28-11-15, 02:53
I made the mistake of Googling and found a few scientific articles about compression fractures from buses going over speed bumps, as well as two articles about people who were paralyzed. There were also several articles about people complaining of back injuries in towns around England (where I live). Not helping!!

ihavefears
28-11-15, 03:25
I totally understand where youre coming from. The chances of you being paralyzed from going quickly over a speedbump are VERY minimal, I would say impossible unless you already had some major health issues, in your spine or back or nerves. But I know that after reading what you read, you might worry that you are the tiny % that it might happen too. I would wait a few days and see if the pain gets worse and if so, go to the doctor just for peace of mind. Chances are you will have no pain from this at all and no reason to worry in a few days.