PDA

View Full Version : Is it dangerous to take vitamin C with cold medicine?

Brother Panic
27-11-15, 15:32
I took about 2,000mg of ascorbic acid(vitamin C) this afternoon around 3pm and it is midnight now. I have read that although 2,000 mg is the highest recommended dose each day, I also read that it leaves the body within 2 to 3 hours yes?

I'm supposed to take 3 pills of the cold medicine, but to be on the safe side, I only took one. Would I be alright to take the other 2 pills tonight or should I just take 3 pills in the morning?

I'm sure nobody will even reply to this because for some reason I never get help on here, but I thought I would ask anyway...

debs71
27-11-15, 15:45
Hi,

Vitamin C when having a cold is advisable, and you should not have an issue with taking it with cold medications. It will not create any drastic interation effect.

High dose of Vit C is good, but I would recommend actually dividing it during the day rather than taking it in one full dose, as Vitamin C is just peed out, so you may not get full benefit of it. The best one is a slow-acting Vitamin C taken a few times a day to total up to the max recommended dose.

I'm personally not a fan of cold medicines. They are normally just painkillers and decongestant. You can do the same things for a cold by just taking regular paracetamol for any headache cause by the cold, and steaming. Drinking honey and lemon tea I also strongly recommend (honey is fabulous for the immune system)

Apart from that, lots of rest and lots of fluids and healthy food. Good old soup is always a winner!

Hope you feel better soon. :)

MyNameIsTerry
28-11-15, 11:55
Like Debs says, you will be fine. Vitamin C is essential daily and in many foods you eat.

You body can only handle about 250mg at a time if I remember correctly, the rest gets wasted. So, spread them out as Debs says or opt for timed release (but still got AM & PM). If you aim to keep your blood plasma levels higher in vitamin C by taking loads od smaller doses throughout the day it will do a lot more.

At worst with vitamin C you will reach "bowel tolerence" which will mean you will be living in the toilet all day. However, this is only when you attempt to "mega dose" and you are not taking enough for that.