PDA

View Full Version : Hello, I'm new here :)

Stuck in the mud
27-11-15, 23:38
Hello everyone! I'm new here, thought I would share with you some of my experiences and possibly get some tips and maybe make some new friends :).

I've been suffering from anxiety and panic attacks for nearly a year now and the last few months have been pretty tough.

I don't get out very much. I'm not afraid of open spaces or being outside as such but I do find that my anxiety is heightened and I am more prone to panicking if I am far away from home.

I do go outside and I try to walk round the block often to keep myself active and get some fresh air, but I've been avoiding going far or meeting friends for a few weeks because my panic attacks are getting more frequent and I'm terrified of embarrassing myself in front of people.

My main worry when I'm having a panic attack is the fear of fainting, blacking out or collapsing. None of these things have ever happened, and I know that it is unlikely that it will but its just the dizziness that convinces me that it could happen!!

I live with my boyfriend, I don't have many friends and I live about 250 miles away from family, so it is hard to get out and about without much support and encouragement I need to get out there and take back the control of my life.

I would love to hear any positive thoughts, tips or any other experiences if anyone has the time to reply :) It would be lovely to speak to someone with similar experiences so I don't feel so alone in this crazy world!

xxx

ana
28-11-15, 08:50
Hello, and welcome to the site. :)

You will find many support on this forum, as people on here are helpful and caring.

I can tell you that I've been suffering from panic attacks for 15 years now, and at times it felt like fighting a lost battle. However, I am in a much better place now like I was a few years back when my my anxiety was manageable and I was able to do more things and go out often without experiencing panic attacks.

The fear of embarrassing yourself is very often - I still get it. The fear of fear is what has been holding me back from pushing myself out of my comfort zone. Also, I don't like to be too far away from home when I go out...

What I would recommend tips-wise is trying to find a routine that you feel comfortable in. If that means going to the shops every day, then do that until you feel comfortable enough (and confident enough because succeeding in something 'small' boosts your confidence) to venture out further. Having something to stay focused on so that you're not constantly thinking about your feelings of anxiety is also very important.
Breathing techniques do wonders, and deep abdominal breathing can instantly calm you down, even if you're in the middle of a nasty panic attack.
If you feel like you need counselling, I strongly encourage you to try it. It is only through counselling (and medication) that I've seen actual progress and gained better understanding of what it is that's happening to me.

The most important thing to remember is that panic attacks can't, and won't, kill you, nor will they drive you mad. You're by no means alone in this world, either. :)

xx

Yorkshirewife
28-11-15, 09:35
Hello - I think you'll find lots of positives on this site - I read a lot of the articles and got a lot of tips on relaxation techniques. I've had lots of really kind responses and it's helped me to know that others are the same as me X

I've tried some of the deep breathing helps me when I feel very wobbly? And also to try and distract myself so I don't sit over thinking things X

We're not alone x

ray.olsen
29-11-15, 08:53
Hello and Welcome to the forum :welcome:

I'm sorry to hear about your condition but I salute you for your resilience. You also seem to know exactly what you are going through and handling it very well. Let's all help each other in our ordeals. I understand you're far away from your family, this community can be your second family. The people here are friendly and give kick-ass tips and empowering motivations. Please don't hesitate to ask or share anything.

Estranged
30-11-15, 04:58
Hello everyone! I'm new here, thought I would share with you some of my experiences and possibly get some tips and maybe make some new friends :).

I've been suffering from anxiety and panic attacks for nearly a year now and the last few months have been pretty tough.

I don't get out very much. I'm not afraid of open spaces or being outside as such but I do find that my anxiety is heightened and I am more prone to panicking if I am far away from home.

I do go outside and I try to walk round the block often to keep myself active and get some fresh air, but I've been avoiding going far or meeting friends for a few weeks because my panic attacks are getting more frequent and I'm terrified of embarrassing myself in front of people.

My main worry when I'm having a panic attack is the fear of fainting, blacking out or collapsing. None of these things have ever happened, and I know that it is unlikely that it will but its just the dizziness that convinces me that it could happen!!

I live with my boyfriend, I don't have many friends and I live about 250 miles away from family, so it is hard to get out and about without much support and encouragement I need to get out there and take back the control of my life.

I would love to hear any positive thoughts, tips or any other experiences if anyone has the time to reply :) It would be lovely to speak to someone with similar experiences so I don't feel so alone in this crazy world!

xxx

Hey Stuck in the Mud.. if your looking for Support, you found the best place for it. The ppl I have met on here from 2010 until current have been GREAT!

Welcome....