PDA

View Full Version : Long term klonopin

Tims
28-11-15, 12:52
Hi

Is anybody here on klonopin long term at any dose? I first started taking it over a decade ago. I pretty much use it on an as required basis now but also take a daily maintenance dose of 0.5mg.
As you can imagine in certain situations I need to take a much higher dose as I do also suffer from social anxiety amongst other things.

Thanks

Tims:)

Justinian
28-11-15, 17:54
Me too. But only two years.

Tims
29-11-15, 23:28
What daily dose are you taking?

Tims

Justinian
05-12-15, 09:28
Just 1 mg, but I can take it prn too. Sometimes I might take 3 mg in a day

Thanatophobe
04-02-16, 00:04
Hi

Is anybody here on klonopin long term at any dose? I first started taking it over a decade ago. I pretty much use it on an as required basis now but also take a daily maintenance dose of 0.5mg.
As you can imagine in certain situations I need to take a much higher dose as I do also suffer from social anxiety amongst other things.

Thanks

Tims:)

Pretty much the same length of time as me though I have been reduced only from 8mg to 6mg/day. Clonazepam used as a prophylactic is not really suitable for prn use. Blood plasma levels are crucial - for prn you would be far better off with an acute drug, my pfeferred being alprazolam for full blown issue and bromazepam (Alkaloid LEXILIUM made under Roche licence is better than original Roche Lexotan & a whole bunch cheaper!).
Unfortunately Roche have withdrawn Rivotril in the UK because the NHS is demanding pharmacists now dispense the cheapest generic - Auden McKenzie feels a lot weaker and I have noticed an increase in anxiety level so now buy at great cost the Roche Suisse product and fund it by selling my crap generic to someone that the doc has refused to prescribe any more than 2 x 500mcg daily...
There is also a push hete for the ceasing of BZD prescribing all together based on studies claiming one's life can be shortened by up to 5 years in BZD users as opposed to those who never take them. I have indicated that is a non-starter with me and as yet they have not breached the subject further... I told them I would simply buy online anyway as I do with my favoured analgesic, Palfium - now sold ONLY in Netherlands.
Nothing else except perhaps LYSANXIA has the same prophylactic effect, therefore I consider that due to the length & severity of my condition, I will remain on 3 x 2mg for life.
Absolutely nothing but good efficacy and no side effects ever.
But please bear in mind that for this purpose you really can't expect clonazepam to work properly at a tiny prn dosage!

MyNameIsTerry
07-02-16, 06:26
Pretty much the same length of time as me though I have been reduced only from 8mg to 6mg/day. Clonazepam used as a prophylactic is not really suitable for prn use. Blood plasma levels are crucial - for prn you would be far better off with an acute drug, my pfeferred being alprazolam for full blown issue and bromazepam (Alkaloid LEXILIUM made under Roche licence is better than original Roche Lexotan & a whole bunch cheaper!).
Unfortunately Roche have withdrawn Rivotril in the UK because the NHS is demanding pharmacists now dispense the cheapest generic - Auden McKenzie feels a lot weaker and I have noticed an increase in anxiety level so now buy at great cost the Roche Suisse product and fund it by selling my crap generic to someone that the doc has refused to prescribe any more than 2 x 500mcg daily...
There is also a push hete for the ceasing of BZD prescribing all together based on studies claiming one's life can be shortened by up to 5 years in BZD users as opposed to those who never take them. I have indicated that is a non-starter with me and as yet they have not breached the subject further... I told them I would simply buy online anyway as I do with my favoured analgesic, Palfium - now sold ONLY in Netherlands.
Nothing else except perhaps LYSANXIA has the same prophylactic effect, therefore I consider that due to the length & severity of my condition, I will remain on 3 x 2mg for life.
Absolutely nothing but good efficacy and no side effects ever.
But please bear in mind that for this purpose you really can't expect clonazepam to work properly at a tiny prn dosage!

Do you think it wise to admit to not only importing a controlled substance (trafficking offence) but also supplying your prescription to another party? You are even selling it!

Clonazepam is a Benzo, so in the drugs law Acts this is no longer a Prescription Only Medication (POM), as Benzo's are classed as controlled substances and covered under a UN agreement.

You may wish to take the risk of two criminal charges but I don't think this should be condoned on this forum!

ana
15-02-16, 10:37
9 years ago, I started taking Rivotril (1 mg). 3 years ago, I halved the dose. Even though I'm getting on well with it, I'm planning on withdrawing altogether as I've been making such good progress and have been doing well.

Justinian
03-07-16, 22:24
I'm being pressured to taper down clonazepam so that I can stop taking it eventually, but reducing the dose even a little is not pleasant. I really think doctors would rather their anxious patients become alcoholics or binge drinkers than prescribe a benzo. This is bizarre considering how damaging alcohol is in many ways. The only reason booze is legal is because until very recently water was contaminated, and so drinking alcohol is an established tradition and habit, hardwired into Western culture. Basically alcohol is legal only because its use is a fait accompli and for no other reasons. That's not a good enough reason.

ana
04-07-16, 17:30
I completely agree on the alcohol front, and I am sorry you're finding the dose reduction difficult. I know it may not make you feel a lot better, but I've been withdrawing Rivotril for a number of months now, and in 2 weeks' time, I'll be taking none. I've had a bad time, let me tell you, these things are addictive, but overall, I'm glad to be rid of the medication!

Tims
05-07-16, 17:28
Hey ana
Have you used any other med to help you come off the rivotril?

dally
05-07-16, 23:47
Any Benzo can cause tolerance then addiction in patients. FACT.
This can happen in as little as two weeks.
That is why doctors prefer NOT to prescribe Benzos for longer than two weeks and SHOULD use a tapering schedule to withdraw patients.

The biggest danger is habitual use, whether as required or daily dosages. It does have a cumulative effect in the body.

However, individuals can tolerate medicines to different degrees, so some are affected more or less so.
Likewise their ability to withdraw from the drug.

I will also say that I do believe Benzos are a very effective drug for anxiety, but ONLY in very short term crisis use.

ana
06-07-16, 11:45
Hey Tims, no, I haven't used any other medication. :)

Jamesaustin81
10-07-16, 21:46
I was on Klonopin for 17 years daily and went through a medically assisted detox 5 months ago.

Tims
15-07-16, 20:52
Hey
That sounds pretty amazing. So now you're completely off it, how do you feel now?
Can I ask what med you used to wean off.
Thanks
Tims