PDA

View Full Version : Day after drinking anxiety

Worrywart528
28-11-15, 17:23
Had a fun night last night... But this morning my HA is insane!!! I am finding all sorts of spots on my face and body that have me in a panic over skin cancer.... Does your HA sky rocket when your hung over ???

Fishmanpa
28-11-15, 17:34
Do a search, there are literally pages and pages and pages and hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of posts pertaining to this on the boards that echo your experience. You have AA (alcoholics anonymous) that is something that can help and then there's AA (alcohol & anxiety) which does the opposite.

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
29-11-15, 06:54
It can do since alcohol is a CNS depressant and blocks Serotonin. Low Serotonin can be found in people with anxiety or depression hence SSRI/SNRI's so how will a load of alcohol hammering your Serotonin affect you? Possibly with more anxiety.

However, it's far from clear and dehydration does the same anyway.

As FMP says, there are loads of posts about it affecting them and then there are the rest of us who it doesn't affect BUT we don't rause threads saying how something doesn't affect us just like why you won't see thousands of threads a year about the lovely cup of tea I've just enjoyed - with caffeine in it. :winks:

Learn from it. If you got hammered, reduce it and see if it's the volume. It's my opinion that drinking when you are at the more severe end of anxiety is always going to be a bad think but when you are in a better place, it may not be. Thats something I know from my own personal experience as I could get hammered when I was much better but do that when I was bouncing off the walls even eating food and drinking water and it's only going to end badly.

fluff
29-11-15, 10:49
I can be actually really hard to be with if ive had too much alcohol, I will the life and soul and get really high quite quickly aswell drinking. But next day I can crash so bad anxiety paranoid about people, very angry look in the past aswell. Takes me about two days to be ok, so now I dont drink as much, last night I had just two glasses of wine large ones and am fine today and only do that just once a week now :)
So yes it can make your anxiety alot worse, just try having less I had a nice eve last night without the crashing this morning

dedalus
29-11-15, 12:09
It was always my experience that drinking large amounts of alcohol would leave me very anxious, depressed and thinking paranoid thoughts. Sometimes this would last for several days depending on how much I had to drink. I used to drink quite excessively then of course and I don't drink at all now. I don't miss it either.

Anyhow, it is common to feel anxious and maybe depressed after having drunk too much. Alcohol can be a great reliever of anxiety but it is only for the short term.

In general, if one often finds oneself drinking more than one had intended it might be best not to drink at all. But, it's not always an easy road.

catdubbs
02-02-16, 03:43
Hello and good day to all, I have just been reading a few posts online about people getting severe anxiety/depression after a nights drinking! Im hoping I might be able to help a few people here? Not one site so far has mentioned the following of that im aware?.

Im not sure if im posting on the right part of the site but please bear with me.
My name is Andy, im 43 years old and I am a recovering alcoholic (6 years clean, yipppeeee!) and I was fully dependant and self medicating alcohol daily morning noon and night for 20 years solid, previous to packing in.

In the early days after a big session I used to wake after drinking with bad anxiety, shaking, chest palpitations, sweats, nausea fear of death and truly terrifying thoughts (PANIC ATTACK? but a little bit more severe, maybe?), after a visit to the doks I was told I had a panic disorder!!!
I found that drinking kept the condition at bay and left me able to function relatively normally until the alcohol started to wear off, then the symptoms would multiply and leave me unable to do the simplest tasks unless I could get my alcohol levels high enough again. A very vicious circle indeed.

This continued for the next twenty years (I know, sounds crazy), anyhoo, after many hospitalisations and truly horrific years on the verge of death my penultimate hospital visit (dok told me I wouldnt have survived the night due to alcohol withdrawal and organ failure) I continued drinking on the way home from hostpital.

Then a few months later the ambulance was called again after me being unable to keep my alcohol levels high enough, I was hospitalised for a week and the doktor said I wouldnt have survived the hour (60mins) if the I hadnt phoned 999 due to imminent heart, liver, lung, kidney failure. And I can tell you, it felt like they were all failing too.

I havent had a drink since.

The point I am getting to is..................

I thought for years I was getting Panic attacks which were so severe my organs were shutting down every morning for years....... when really!!!!!

I was suffering from (ALCOHOL WITHDRAWAL!!!!!!) and self medicating to override it.

And just so you know, I can tell you with some degree of certainty, If there are people out there who get very bad anxiety and depression after drinking with palpitations and sweats and (SHAKES!!!, shakes are very dangerous,) be aware and be ultra careful, it could be your body craving alcohol, dont make the same mistake I did, at the end I was crying and begging for help in a fetal position vomiting blood and drinking brut aftershave and rice wine vinegar to survive.

p.s I dont mean to preach, I honestly hope this might help someone out there who like me had a bum steer all them years ago.

p.p.s it starts very small and grows exponentially!. Be safe!

Have a nice day folks
Andy.

MyNameIsTerry
02-02-16, 05:36
Hello and good day to all, I have just been reading a few posts online about people getting severe anxiety/depression after a nights drinking! Im hoping I might be able to help a few people here? Not one site so far has mentioned the following of that im aware?.

Im not sure if im posting on the right part of the site but please bear with me.
My name is Andy, im 43 years old and I am a recovering alcoholic (6 years clean, yipppeeee!) and I was fully dependant and self medicating alcohol daily morning noon and night for 20 years solid, previous to packing in.

In the early days after a big session I used to wake after drinking with bad anxiety, shaking, chest palpitations, sweats, nausea fear of death and truly terrifying thoughts (PANIC ATTACK? but a little bit more severe, maybe?), after a visit to the doks I was told I had a panic disorder!!!
I found that drinking kept the condition at bay and left me able to function relatively normally until the alcohol started to wear off, then the symptoms would multiply and leave me unable to do the simplest tasks unless I could get my alcohol levels high enough again. A very vicious circle indeed.

This continued for the next twenty years (I know, sounds crazy), anyhoo, after many hospitalisations and truly horrific years on the verge of death my penultimate hospital visit (dok told me I wouldnt have survived the night due to alcohol withdrawal and organ failure) I continued drinking on the way home from hostpital.

Then a few months later the ambulance was called again after me being unable to keep my alcohol levels high enough, I was hospitalised for a week and the doktor said I wouldnt have survived the hour (60mins) if the I hadnt phoned 999 due to imminent heart, liver, lung, kidney failure. And I can tell you, it felt like they were all failing too.

I havent had a drink since.

The point I am getting to is..................

I thought for years I was getting Panic attacks which were so severe my organs were shutting down every morning for years....... when really!!!!!

I was suffering from (ALCOHOL WITHDRAWAL!!!!!!) and self medicating to override it.

And just so you know, I can tell you with some degree of certainty, If there are people out there who get very bad anxiety and depression after drinking with palpitations and sweats and (SHAKES!!!, shakes are very dangerous,) be aware and be ultra careful, it could be your body craving alcohol, dont make the same mistake I did, at the end I was crying and begging for help in a fetal position vomiting blood and drinking brut aftershave and rice wine vinegar to survive.

p.s I dont mean to preach, I honestly hope this might help someone out there who like me had a bum steer all them years ago.

p.p.s it starts very small and grows exponentially!. Be safe!

Have a nice day folks
Andy.

Well done for getting off the alcohol, Andy.

It's a valid issue to be concerned of. Some people self medicate their anxiety disorders with alcohol and it's a very slippery slope. A fellow anxiety sufferer once told me to drink to beat my insomnia and this is some of the worst advice that can be given!!!

It's a real shame the GP you saw didn't pick up on the fact the alcohol was causing the withdrawal symptoms, which seems pretty obvious.

shirlp
02-02-16, 09:44
If I drink on a night out I'd suffer anxiety for a couple of days after. I only ever drank on a night out because I knew if I drank more often I would just keep drinking to keep the anxiety at bay. Now I don't drink at all it's not worth the suffering.

MyNameIsTerry
02-02-16, 09:52
If I drink on a night out I'd suffer anxiety for a couple of days after. I only ever drank on a night out because I knew if I drank more often I would just keep drinking to keep the anxiety at bay. Now I don't drink at all it's not worth the suffering.

Yes, I avoided drinking at my worse stages because I feared I would do the same as you say. That's at least one fear we can say is a positive one!

GingerFish
02-02-16, 12:16
I found that my anxiety and my OCD especially got a lot worse when I was hungover. It was almost unbearable. I've barely drank any booze for the last year because of it. The fact I can never sleep after drinking really didn't help things.

Worrywart528
02-02-16, 16:39
I agree with everything that is being said. I was just thinking I used to be a calm person. I would be so relaxed I could take a nap at night... I used to be able to watch a movie or tv without having a few drinks.

In 2011-2013 I suffered horribly from HA normal anxiety and my OCD was horrible. I found that by having a few drinks a night I would forget about it. Whatever symptom I was having or whatever obsessive thought I was having would disappear. I found myself eventually drinking around 5-6 beers a night. I would wake up in a severe panic and the cycle would repeat. In 2013 my health anxiety vanished. I enjoyed life and continued to have a drink or two every evening.

This summer my HA returned with vengeance. I was petrified of Melanoma... this fear went from Melanoma... to the other non melanoma skin cancers. I became obsessed with my moles and every mole I looked at created a surge in anxiety. My OCD kicked in and I found myself in a pure panicked state... examining every single blemish on my body... saying omg what if this is melanoma... I would visit a derm.... they would take a mole off here and there... A few came back atypical. As soon as I cleared the doctors office I was back to examining my moles.

I found myself drinking more and more again and the same thing happened. When I had a few drinks I would look at my body and say what the hell man.... your moles do not look bad. I would calm down. I would go to sleep and wake up in a horribly paranoid state. When I was hungover I could not look at myself in the mirror. It created such anxiety. I am now stuck in the same cycle I was in a few years earlier.