PDA

View Full Version : Does sertraline lower heart rate?

jenni89
29-11-15, 07:33
I've been on sertaline since September and my resting pulse rate is generally between 55-70 bpm lately.

I've always had a higher resting pulse rate, somewhere between 75-90 bpm. So the lower pulse concerns me but I'm thinking it has alot to do with the meds im on. I have major health anxiety revolving around my heart.

I'm also taking propranolol as needed. I've been taking 10 mg at a time which is a low dose of the medication. My doctor said that 10 mg twice a day would hardly affect my heart, and that he generally prescribes AT LEAST 40 mg daily.

So if the propranolol isn't causing the lower heart rate, then what is? Could it be the sertaline? Surely, something is affecting my heart.

iwantpeace
09-12-15, 13:16
well, first of all your heart is withing the normal range of a resting heart rate.
so dont worry about it.
now secondly propranolol isnt affecting your heart in a meaning that changes
anything, it just lowers a little bit the heart rate when your on it.
its probably the propranolol.
if the doctor said its not affecting the heart why did he prescribe it anyway?
the only reason that you would prescribe propranolol to someone with anxiety
is because he is having palpitations and tachycardias and you want him to relieve him
from the symptoms.now if the propranolol isnt lowering your heart rate, whats the point of taking it?

sandie
09-12-15, 13:29
|I agree with Iwantpeace. I took propanalol when I had my first bout of anxiety some 9 years ago. The reason it was prescribed was to decrease the heart palpitations which I was experiencing along with panic attacks.

If your heart rate is lower, then I suspect it is the due to the Propanalol.